The Student Room Group

Is music GCSE a joke

Have I wasted a choice? if GCSE music was reformed what would you change (include board)?

Thanks
Original post by lokolika
Have I wasted a choice? if GCSE music was reformed what would you change (include board)?

Thanks

I'm telling you right now, it is NOT a joke. It was my hardest GCSE, and I was the first person to get an A* in 14 years at my school and even then, I only managed to just touch the grade boundary. Our Music department is phenomenal, but an A* in OCR Music is nigh on impossible, unless you've been playing violin since the age of 3. I did 13 GCSEs and I picked music thinking 'Hey, I like singing, this should be a breeze'. I thought I was picking a 'fun' subject amidst all my other 'academically rigorous' choices, but I did not expect what was coming. I enjoyed the coursework but the listening exam is extremely difficult and 60/100 is a wonderful achievement. The creative task marking is absolutely subjective and my mark was ridiculous given that my teacher predicted me 2 grades higher. I almost wish I'd picked a subject like business studies, because honestly Music was so hard.

But then again, it's up to you. (:

Quick Reply

Latest