The Student Room Group

Acceptance in university

thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by thechosen2
Hello,

I am a 23 year old who is starting university this year. However, due to the fact that I have aspergers plus I just recovered from 3 major brain surgeries, two of my concerns are whether I have enough brain cells to pass university and whether I will my friends despite my social autism.

A) The social autism thing has mean going on for many many years, I usually I can't engage in conversation either because I have no knowledge of the subject or I can't think of a witty remark. Whenever I say something I get weird O.o stares or... people just be like......yeaaaaa... anyway.. and it happens to often that I just give up even trying.

B) I was suffering from chronic headaches for 3+ years until I realised I had some kind of tumor in which I had 3 surgeries. Ever since then I forgot 80% of my 2nd language and I have difficulty cocentrating, the doctors say I am ok but I keep insisting that I am not and I have difficulty in concentrating and learning new material.

It is kind of worrying what kind of impact this will have in university in social acceptance and study?

I am not looking for sympathy just advice and tips on how to pass university socially and accademically :smile:

thanks
howya man:smile:
the quote I hear is that if youre good enough to get into uni youre good enough to finish it.itl be hard work and as a student with a disability it sure the hell wont be easier but youll get there!

heres the good news! you get loadsa extra support for having a disability so make sure you make use of it!theres all sorts of organisations who also help yee guys outside of uni:smile:

A)thats fair enough.heres my advice.be open about it from the off:smile: try to smile..and be friendly if yeh can.try not to isolate yourself.aslong as youre nice..clean up and be friendly..(always say hi when yeh see them about the house etc..) you will be grand.people will understand it aint easy for yeh but if yeh make an effort you should be okay.also join socities/clubs etc:smile:

hmmm do your best with it.if youre still having problems contact them again perhaps?

socially if youre friendly and honest you will be grand..you wont be partying all night but youll have a few friends:smile: try to join socities/clubs theyre great!

academically its about using your support systems..and studying regularly

perhaps ringing a professional aspergers body would be good?
Reply 2
****, I have been having chronic headaches for like 4 years now :/

IDK what to do..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending