The Student Room Group

Leicester Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by skittlesaremydrugs
Haha I'm steering clear of Bristol this year. I like it but it's too risky. Where are you thinking of applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, having said that I kind of appreciate the variety each medical school has in assessing candidates, it's kind of interesting that for instance Birmingham just want the best exam grades while Bristol want the best personal statements, Newcastle the best UKCAT but they all end up with the same degrees.

Anyway..I'm applying for Manchester, Leicester, Newcastle and Liverpool as it stands, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ja1
Same, having said that I kind of appreciate the variety each medical school has in assessing candidates, it's kind of interesting that for instance Birmingham just want the best exam grades while Bristol want the best personal statements, Newcastle the best UKCAT but they all end up with the same degrees.

Anyway..I'm applying for Manchester, Leicester, Newcastle and Liverpool as it stands, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's still a bit up in the air to be honest but the top 5 at the minute are Leicester, Newcastle, Manchester, Kings and SGUL (I was considering exeter but they give offers of A*AA-AAA so apparently I don't meet their criteria having already achieved AAA).

Any advice on which unis would favour 8A*s and 3As at gcse, AAA at A-Level and 740 UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 42
It's still a bit up in the air to be honest but the top 5 at the minute are Leicester, Newcastle, Manchester, Kings and SGUL (I was considering exeter but they give offers of A*AA-AAA so apparently I don't meet their criteria having already achieved AAA).

Any advice on which unis would favour 8A*s and 3As at gcse, AAA at A-Level and 740 UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those choices all seem good for your stats, you'd be very likely to get an interview at Leicester it seems espiecally. There's also HYMS, (I'm also looking into it) they use and similarish scoring system to Leicester. Nottingham, Cardiff and Edinburgh will be good ones to consider too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ja1
Those choices all seem good for your stats, you'd be very likely to get an interview at Leicester it seems espiecally. There's also HYMS, (I'm also looking into it) they use and similarish scoring system to Leicester. Nottingham, Cardiff and Edinburgh will be good ones to consider too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm pretty set on Leicester, I don't have biology at A2 so only Edinburgh on that list applies. The thing with Edinburgh is I know they don't interview so you have to have a great PS and I'm not sure how good mine is tbh (I dont have loads of ECs and they arent strong at all) which is why I'm applying to those unis, because they don't seem to put too much stock into it.
Reply 44
Should I apply with a score of 61?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fate16
Should I apply with a score of 61?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I reckon so. The cut off last year was 57/58 I think and UKCAT has apparently gone down so you seem in pretty good stead

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Yeah I'm pretty set on Leicester, I don't have biology at A2 so only Edinburgh on that list applies. The thing with Edinburgh is I know they don't interview so you have to have a great PS and I'm not sure how good mine is tbh (I dont have loads of ECs and they arent strong at all) which is why I'm applying to those unis, because they don't seem to put too much stock into it.

Not necessarily, here's how they break it down: "The breakdown of our selection weightings for applications received by 15th October 2014 was as follows:

50% - academic
30% - non academic (15% situational judgement section of the UKCAT test and 15% personal statement/reference)
20% - UKCAT score (excluding situational judgement)"
http://docstore.mvm.ed.ac.uk/PoliciesAndProcedures/Undergraduate/Handbook.pdf

So only 15% weighting is given to PS, I'd definitely consider with your stats, good all round. I was thinking of Edinburgh too but I just didn't like it as much as other unis on open days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys i was wondering if with a score of 60.5 its worth a shot applying to leicester?
Original post by ja1
Not necessarily, here's how they break it down: "The breakdown of our selection weightings for applications received by 15th October 2014 was as follows:

50% - academic
30% - non academic (15% situational judgement section of the UKCAT test and 15% personal statement/reference)
20% - UKCAT score (excluding situational judgement)"
http://docstore.mvm.ed.ac.uk/PoliciesAndProcedures/Undergraduate/Handbook.pdf

So only 15% weighting is given to PS, I'd definitely consider with your stats, good all round. I was thinking of Edinburgh too but I just didn't like it as much as other unis on open days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm. Interesting but the cost of and the time taken travelling there and back would put me off a bit. Especially as I would probably have to apply without having gone to the open day though I've heard it's a great uni.

May I ask what was it you didn't like about Edinburgh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ahmedddUUU
Hi guys i was wondering if with a score of 60.5 its worth a shot applying to leicester?

I reckon you'd be a pretty safe bet. Especially as the average UKCAT has gone down this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello! I'm what they now call a *cough* mature student :/ (I'm 23). I've had a look at the scoring system they use to assess A2 grades which assigns different points for A's and A*'s. I sat my A-levels before A*'s came into play. I don't suppose any of you know if the same scores still apply regardless of this? Any advice would be great
Reply 51
Quick note for anyone applying this year, Leicester posted the following

Posted on: 16 September 2014

Early results suggest that this year’s UKCAT scores will be, on average, lower than last year’s.* The variability in UKCAT scores and the change in our scoring system for 2015 entry means that you should not base much weight on scores required in previous years.

Please note that we*do nothave a UKCAT cut-off score.

http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/msce/undergraduate/medicine/admissionsupdates

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat

Early results suggest that this year’s UKCAT scores will be, on average, lower than last year’s.* The variability in UKCAT scores and the change in our scoring system for 2015 entry means that you should not base much weight on scores required in previous years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

so what can we actually infer from this? the overall scores for UKCAT will be lower than last year?
Reply 53
Original post by blissfully
so what can we actually infer from this? the overall scores for UKCAT will be lower than last year?

Yeah pretty much. Ukcat scores are lower than last year so not to compare your(pre interview) score this year to scores from last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah pretty much. Ukcat scores are lower than last year so not to compare your(pre interview) score this year to scores from last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i thought this scoring system was new though so regardless isn't it impossible to compare? or was ukcat for last year rated out of 34 too?
Reply 55
Original post by blissfully
i thought this scoring system was new though so regardless isn't it impossible to compare? or was ukcat for last year rated out of 34 too?

You're right, the new system does mean it's not a very good comparison. I think they're just recognising scores are lower this year and it will likely mean a lower application score is need for interview... But that's only my interpretation...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Hmmm. Interesting but the cost of and the time taken travelling there and back would put me off a bit. Especially as I would probably have to apply without having gone to the open day though I've heard it's a great uni.

May I ask what was it you didn't like about Edinburgh?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes travelling time/distance put me off places like Southampton. I wouldn't mind it for pre-clinical years but when you get to clinical years it sounds it would he massively useful to have a car, and making 9-10 9 hour car trips a year doesn't sound appealing.

Edinburgh didn't really appeal to me as the medical school was on the other side of the city to the main campus-ey area where the rest of the students would go. I guess beyond that it just didn't 'grab' me, when I went round Leicester I could more imagine myself living there, not sure why. However it's not like I hated it, and am still considering Edinb as they don't use interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Would you say that a score of 57.5 is definitely too low? I have 30 for GCSEs and 27.5 for UKCAT, but no score for AS levels has seemingly ruined my chances?
Original post by joolsm
Would you say that a score of 57.5 is definitely too low? I have 30 for GCSEs and 27.5 for UKCAT, but no score for AS levels has seemingly ruined my chances?

cut off last year was 57ish and their anticipating a fall in UKCAT scores so apply if it's a risk you're willing to take :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think that they've seen a more recent update of ukcat scores that we haven't seen yet? It sounds like they've seen a significantly lower average somewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending