Question about using your own supplier

Watch
Perinced
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey everyone, recently told I have to use a DSA-approved supplier for equipment. The only issue is that the equipment that they offer is relatively outdated and very expensive. I was wondering if it would be allowable for me to use my own supplier.

One instance might be a laptop, that is approved by DSA but instead of buying from a supplier, I am buying directly from the manufacturer at a much lower cost than the DSA supplier can offer.

So is it essential that I only use a DSA-approved supplier? Because it seems strange that I would be wasting money that others have paid towards when there are other, cheaper options available. Thank you very much for any feedback that you might have.
balotelli12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You must use contracted suppliers.
NJones
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
DSA suppliers buy direct from manufacturers and laptops etc are supplied zero rated for VAT, so don't forget to add VAT to any price you are quoted. You must also have adequate insurance and warranty for the duration of your course as student finance will not fund any repairs or replacements. All in, I doubt you can get an equivalent price let alone lower.

It is possible to use your own supplier but you must ensure all the equipment, support and software is included in any quotes and then these must be submitted to SFE to get their permission before you do anything. Otherwise they will not agree to fund or refund anything. Often its such a difficult process to do its not worth it.
TedFred81
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by NJones)
DSA suppliers buy direct from manufacturers and laptops etc are supplied zero rated for VAT, so don't forget to add VAT to any price you are quoted. You must also have adequate insurance and warranty for the duration of your course as student finance will not fund any repairs or replacements. All in, I doubt you can get an equivalent price let alone lower.

It is possible to use your own supplier but you must ensure all the equipment, support and software is included in any quotes and then these must be submitted to SFE to get their permission before you do anything. Otherwise they will not agree to fund or refund anything. Often its such a difficult process to do its not worth it.

What't the chances of actually being able to do this?

I have my eyes on a windows laptop, with twice the spec for the same price WITH 3 year warranty and all for LESS then a macbook pro they put me down for.

What can i do>< cheers
balotelli12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Perinced)
Hey everyone, recently told I have to use a DSA-approved supplier for equipment. The only issue is that the equipment that they offer is relatively outdated and very expensive. I was wondering if it would be allowable for me to use my own supplier.

One instance might be a laptop, that is approved by DSA but instead of buying from a supplier, I am buying directly from the manufacturer at a much lower cost than the DSA supplier can offer.

So is it essential that I only use a DSA-approved supplier? Because it seems strange that I would be wasting money that others have paid towards when there are other, cheaper options available. Thank you very much for any feedback that you might have.
Why bother?
You don't pocket any savings made, even if you do save DSA some money.
NJones
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TedFred81)
What't the chances of actually being able to do this?

I have my eyes on a windows laptop, with twice the spec for the same price WITH 3 year warranty and all for LESS then a macbook pro they put me down for.

What can i do>< cheers
If your course can be completed on a Windows machine, then an Apple machine should not have been recommended. This is just cashing in at the taxpayers expense and is why DSA is being reviewed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise