goincrazy11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I applied for Medicine this year but got AAB (B in Chemistry) for my A Levels. I can't decide whether I should continue to do Biochemistry which I have a place for, or to retake chemistry A Level and reapply for 2015 entry Medicine, which very few universities accept. The only universities that accept it expect an A*, which I think would be doable considering I would only be doing one A Level in the year.

My dilemma is that I'm still not 100% sure whether I want to do Medicine or not. and I don't think this year out would give me more time to think since I would be writing my personal statement, doing UKCAT, etc at the start of the gap year. However, I have no idea what other job I would do...

Another issue is that I really really really really really want to leave home. I won't go into to great detail but the basics are that my situation at home isn't good and I'm unhappy. Just staying at home over the summer has made me more stressed than taking A Levels. I don't know how to describe it but I feel like I'm going to suffocate if I stay here for another year.

But my mum won't stop going on about that I'll be throwing away a good opportunity to do Medicine, and that I won't get anywhere in life with a biochemistry degree. and that if I wanted to apply for graduate entry Medicine in the future, it would be harder than just retaking chemistry A Level.

I'm hoping that people who have been in similar situations to mine can share their experiences, or if anyone else can give my advice. Thanks.
hau28
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is it possible for you to resit the B during your first year, then apply to transfer (providing you do really well in your exams)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
nmjasdk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would go for the medicine re entry who cares what uni u go to, its medicine! just make sure their are unis that will accept u
pyjamatrousers.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by goincrazy11)
I applied for Medicine this year but got AAB (B in Chemistry) for my A Levels. I can't decide whether I should continue to do Biochemistry which I have a place for, or to retake chemistry A Level and reapply for 2015 entry Medicine, which very few universities accept. The only universities that accept it expect an A*, which I think would be doable considering I would only be doing one A Level in the year.

My dilemma is that I'm still not 100% sure whether I want to do Medicine or not. and I don't think this year out would give me more time to think since I would be writing my personal statement, doing UKCAT, etc at the start of the gap year. However, I have no idea what other job I would do...

Another issue is that I really really really really really want to leave home. I won't go into to great detail but the basics are that my situation at home isn't good and I'm unhappy. Just staying at home over the summer has made me more stressed than taking A Levels. I don't know how to describe it but I feel like I'm going to suffocate if I stay here for another year.

But my mum won't stop going on about that I'll be throwing away a good opportunity to do Medicine, and that I won't get anywhere in life with a biochemistry degree. and that if I wanted to apply for graduate entry Medicine in the future, it would be harder than just retaking chemistry A Level.

I'm hoping that people who have been in similar situations to mine can share their experiences, or if anyone else can give my advice. Thanks.

I also got AAB last year and my B was in chemistry too! I decided to take a year out and re-take but like u said I didn't have much time to think about it cus i had to write the personal statement at the beginning of the gap year. However I didn't get into medical school but I got into pharmacy. You could consider pharmacy ?
Biochemistry sounds very interesting though and you could go on to do research if that interests you.
Graduate medicine is more difficult to get into that undergraduate medicine from what I have heard. If you really want to do medicine then go for it - re-apply! But if you are unsure then it might be best not to re apply because medicine is challenging and requires much dedication.

If you don't want to stay at home then you could just go and start biochemistry and then transfer to a different degree if u like.

You can still go somewhere with a biochemistry degree! And also you're right - you could definitely get the A*
goincrazy11
Rep:
?
(Original post by hcu95)
Is it possible for you to resit the B during your first year, then apply to transfer (providing you do really well in your exams)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure if I can do that but it's a good idea, thanks. I'll find out
goincrazy11
Rep:
?
(Original post by pyjamatrousers.)
I also got AAB last year and my B was in chemistry too! I decided to take a year out and re-take but like u said I didn't have much time to think about it cus i had to write the personal statement at the beginning of the gap year. However I didn't get into medical school but I got into pharmacy. You could consider pharmacy ?
Biochemistry sounds very interesting though and you could go on to do research if that interests you.
Graduate medicine is more difficult to get into that undergraduate medicine from what I have heard. If you really want to do medicine then go for it - re-apply! But if you are unsure then it might be best not to re apply because medicine is challenging and requires much dedication.

If you don't want to stay at home then you could just go and start biochemistry and then transfer to a different degree if u like.

You can still go somewhere with a biochemistry degree! And also you're right - you could definitely get the A*
Congrats on getting into pharmacy! Thanks for your advice, I'm thinking of just going and doing biochemistry because I'm not confident in getting into medical school again >.<
Thank you!
goincrazy11
Rep:
?
(Original post by nmjasdk)
I would go for the medicine re entry who cares what uni u go to, its medicine! just make sure their are unis that will accept u
Thanks for your advice! But I think I'm not going to reapply just because I'm not certain on medicine
nmjasdk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by goincrazy11)
Thanks for your advice! But I think I'm not going to reapply just because I'm not certain on medicine
yh you will avoid alevels for another year and wont hyave to go through retake deppression
yilmaz33
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well biochemistry i don't know much of but i assure you that if you would be able to get the grades one more year in a hell hole of a house is well worth it for medicine. It's amongst the most prestigious degrees out there and with it you can enter pretty much any field of science concerning biology.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (114)
17.73%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.53%
Not great so far... (229)
35.61%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.13%

Watched Threads