Turn on thread page Beta

Carlisle Utd drama!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A few seasons ago (not sure when), Carlisle did the great escape, thanks to Jimmy Glass's goal. This season, they were great favourites to go down. But they gave theirselves some hope with their run of wins. In the last game, they lost, meaning that if they were to lose today, they would be relegated, and with their relegation rivals winning, they HAD to win today. 3:2 with a minute left, and the opposition get a penalty. Goalie saves!

10 Boston United 44 -2 58
    11 Swansea City 44 -4 55
    12 Cheltenham 44 -14 54
    13 Bury 44 -11 53
    14 Southend Utd 44 -11 53
    15 Bristol Rovers 44 -10 52
    16 Kidderminster 44 -16 51
    17 Darlington 44 -8 50
    18 Cambridge Utd 44 -14 50
    19 Leyton Orient 44 -17 50
    20 Scunthorpe Utd 44 -1 49
    21 Rochdale 44 -7 49
    22 Macclesfield 44 -14 49
    23 Carlisle United 44 -22 44
    24 York City 44 -30 43

Would be tough for Carlisle, but can they do the great escape yet again?

ReputationRep:
    Probably not, if I'm right in thinking two go down. The team above them is 5 points ahead, a draw in the last two games gives them safety. But football is strange and beautiful...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Probably not, if I'm right in thinking two go down. The team above them is 5 points ahead, a draw in the last two games gives them safety. But football is strange and beautiful...
    If anyone can do it, Carlisle can! You never know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    If anyone can do it, Carlisle can! You never know!
    Hearing about the last time was quality, and what a goal from the goalie! Hilarious, and good on them, fortune does indeed favour the brave.

ReputationRep:
    They normally win on the last day of the season to stay up. But this season looks pretty grim for them since the teams above them have been winning too. Apparently since february they have one of the best forms in the league :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    . In the last game, they lost, meaning that if they were to lose today, they would be relegated, and with their relegation rivals winning, they HAD to win today. 3:2 with a minute left, and the opposition get a penalty. Goalie saves!
    Grrrrrrr ! And the opposition were MANSFIELD TOWN
    Damn you Liam Lawrence you never miss a penalty, maybe he had his mind on getting the hat-trick, which the goal would have gained him (as well as his 21st of the season)!

Fair play to the Carlisle goalie on this occasion though, by all accounts he had a great game, and without him, the Stags would have been 5-2 up at half time.

I always have had a soft spot for Carlisle but must admit that the trek up to Brunton Park is an absolute biatch, and would be happy losing it, being replaced by Chester City, and Dagenham & Redbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Xenon- are you from Cumbria? I can't think of any other reason why you'd take so much interest in Carlisle's position in the division/league/whatever!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    I always have had a soft spot for Carlisle but must admit that the trek up to Brunton Park is an absolute biatch, and would be happy losing it, being replaced by Chester City, and Dagenham & Redbridge.
    I find it very hard to have a soft spot for Carlisle - a whilte ago their chairman and one of the players got disciplined for causing a kerfuffle at our (Lincoln's) ground (great word eh?) and the chairman came across as being very smug and up himself. Then a couple of weeks ago when we played in Carlisle, a minority of fans chanted at Keith Alexander, who'd just been in hospital with life-threatening brain problems, "you're supposed to be deceased". I know it's only a minority, but it still makes it hard to feel sorry for them. It's a shame about York going down though.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just say...... as a lurker to this board I am deepely humbled that a thread has been created to honour Carlisle United magnificent run since december. It's everso pleasing to recognise that other people do take an interest in our affairs and re-affirms one's beliefs that football does exist beyond the premiership.

I've been a carlisle fan for years - and yes I was lucky enough to be at the Jimmy Glass game back in 1999, it's still very vivid to this day infact I can even remember the emotions prior to us scoring!. I suppose for most people it was a life chaging experience, and football no matter what people say, can do this.

Yesterday was a rollercoaster of emotion from just listening to the game on the radio I became physically sick from yet another testing situation being faced. You would expect that a team or supporters like us would be used to this.......... sadly this is not the case, infact every seaosn we go into we honestly believe something will change and we'll rightly receive the success we truly deserve.

elpollodiablouk

I was at that game.........nice sunny day it was too... so was the result :cool:

In all seriousness however, I think the situation that day spiralled out of control for a number of reason - the heavy handedness of your stewards and a certain referee who decided to make a name for himself and thus become the MAN OF THE MATCH. You're totally spot on regarding the Alexander comments........ but may I stress these were indeed a minority of the 8 thousand that were at the game. Carlisle fans are warm caring and tolerant in the broader sense of things so I do hope you don;t tar a person with the same brush everytime. Oh and that 2-0 didn;t do us many favours either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hibbsy)
    elpollodiablouk

I was at that game.........nice sunny day it was too... so was the result :cool:

In all seriousness however, I think the situation that day spiralled out of control for a number of reason - the heavy handedness of your stewards and a certain referee who decided to make a name for himself and thus become the MAN OF THE MATCH. You're totally spot on regarding the Alexander comments........ but may I stress these were indeed a minority of the 8 thousand that were at the game. Carlisle fans are warm caring and tolerant in the broader sense of things so I do hope you don;t tar a person with the same brush everytime. Oh and that 2-0 didn;t do us many favours either!
    Yeah, I'm not making any excuses for the Lincoln stewards, by all accounts they were very heavy handed. And it really is a shame about the Alexander comments, but at every ground you get a small minority of ********s (pardon my language, but its the only word for them), and I do feel for the Carlisle fans, it can't be easy being in this position year after year. Just a shame Scunthorpe didnt go down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Joanna*)
    Xenon- are you from Cumbria? I can't think of any other reason why you'd take so much interest in Carlisle's position in the division/league/whatever!
    Hey..........were entertainers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Joanna*)
    Nah, I'm not from Cumbria, but I have been interested in Carlisle Utd's story ever since their great escape caused by Jimmy Glass. And their bravery has been shown again this season. I'm an arsenal fan, but Carlisle fascinate me! And I do hope that Carlisle stay up this season!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Nah, I'm not from Cumbria, but I have been interested in Carlisle Utd's story ever since their great escape caused by Jimmy Glass. And their bravery has been shown again this season. I'm an arsenal fan, but Carlisle fascinate me!
    I find the nationwide as a whole so much more interesting than the premiership, although I have to admit Arsenal are a joy to watch, particularly Thierry Henry. In the words of Ron Manager, marvellous, isn't it, hmm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    I find the nationwide as a whole so much more interesting than the premiership, although I have to admit Arsenal are a joy to watch, particularly Thierry Henry. In the words of Ron Manager, marvellous, isn't it, hmm?
    Couldn't agree more. I really hope that Henry could score against Spurs just now, cos that would be as they say "the icing on the cake". Pity arsenal won't win the title at home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Couldn't agree more. I really hope that Henry could score against Spurs just now, cos that would be as they say "the icing on the cake". Pity arsenal won't win the title at home!
    Please could you put non-Carlisle talk in the Football Thread?

ReputationRep:
    With respect M'Lord......... the football concerned in that thread is nothing more than plastic football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hibbsy)
    With respect M'Lord......... the football concerned in that thread is nothing more than plastic football.
    Plastic football?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.