The Student Room Group

RAF Pilot Application

I'll keep this simple. I've read all the other posts similar to this one but still can't seem to find an answer personal to my situation. I decided before filling out the application it would be a good idea to get my eyes tested. The optician said I didn't need to wear glasses but I do have a slight prescription and an astigmatism in one eye. The RAF recruitment officer said I needed 20/20 vision but despite 'googling' that, I'm still not sure what it means.....Help?! I know that my chances are looking pretty slim but I figure I want to make sure before I fully give up!! Thanks in advance everyone! :colondollar:
Reply 1
They don't really do '20/20' anymore, thats an old way of measuring sight. How much out is each eye? For example, I passed the eye test with 0.25 out in one eye, which is obviously a tiny amount
(edited 9 years ago)
You will need standard 1.

Reply 3
Thanks so much guys! I have +0.25 in one and +0.50 in the other! Looking at the chart makes me think I'm still eligible to apply! :/
Reply 4
That doesn't sound too bad, you just might get away with it! The only way you can know is to go!

The first thing you do in the application (apart from fill in the forms) is go to a P2 presentation. At this presentation, you have to bring some medical forms, one of which is an optometrists report. They will tell you there and then if you're eligible or not.
Reply 5
Original post by jannisjr
That doesn't sound too bad, you just might get away with it! The only way you can know is to go!

The first thing you do in the application (apart from fill in the forms) is go to a P2 presentation. At this presentation, you have to bring some medical forms, one of which is an optometrists report. They will tell you there and then if you're eligible or not.

I'm definitely going to fill in the application then. I just don't want to waste anyone's time with something which should be obvious, like eyesight! Thank you for all your help though! I really appreciate it!
Reply 6
Original post by p3hsarp3
I'm definitely going to fill in the application then. I just don't want to waste anyone's time with something which should be obvious, like eyesight! Thank you for all your help though! I really appreciate it!

If you meet the Standard 1 requirements in the charts LS posted that'll get you "through the door", so it's certainly worth applying. If you then make it through to OASC there's a further eye examination as part of the medical for pilot/ABM/ATC applicants, which will determine whether you're eligible for that branch.

You won't know until you get there though, so good luck! :smile:

P.S.
20/20 (6/6) means that you can see at 20 feet (6 metres) what a normal person can see at 20 feet (6 metres), so normal eyesight. On that theme, 40/20 (12/6) is better than normal and 20/40 (6/12) is worse.
It's pretty much been replaced by 6/6 etc, as you can see on the charts, which is roughly the metric equivalent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest