laurmayraymond
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone!

I'm currently studying Chemistry and am starting my third year in a couple of weeks.
I had a place to study Medicine which would have started in 2012, however I just missed the grades so couldn't go. I love my degree and would love to work with it but I know want I really want to be is a doctor.
I know it's getting late but I'm considering applying for Graduate entry to start in 2015. My only problem is that although I have lots of work experience it's all from sixth form. I volunteered in a care home for about a year and a half up until the Christmas of my first year at uni and currently volunteer in a charity shop when I am at uni but I really do not think it's enough!
I really don't know whether to apply this year or apply next year and get some experience between now and then, and hopefully a decent job while I'm waiting!

Any advice would be fab and really appreciated!
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by laurmayraymond)
Hi everyone!

I'm currently studying Chemistry and am starting my third year in a couple of weeks.
I had a place to study Medicine which would have started in 2012, however I just missed the grades so couldn't go. I love my degree and would love to work with it but I know want I really want to be is a doctor.
I know it's getting late but I'm considering applying for Graduate entry to start in 2015. My only problem is that although I have lots of work experience it's all from sixth form. I volunteered in a care home for about a year and a half up until the Christmas of my first year at uni and currently volunteer in a charity shop when I am at uni but I really do not think it's enough!
I really don't know whether to apply this year or apply next year and get some experience between now and then, and hopefully a decent job while I'm waiting!

Have you thought about where you can apply this year? Some unis(such as Leicester) have very particular requirements and some don't.

The same thing still applies... If you can reflect on your experience to say why you want to be a doctor then you should be ok.

Have a look at the GEM wiki and see what places you could apply to with your grades and degree. Then have a look at those unis websites to see what they say about experience, if anything.

If you're going to do it this year you need to hurry up. You've missed the deadline for gamsat and you're running out of time for ukcat (and to have time to prepare).

Posted from TSR Mobile
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...cine_-_a_guide is the wiki. Just looking at that a few places are quite strict about work experience requirements and some are more relaxed. The wiki doesn't say about when that work experience needed to be so you would have to check with each individual university.
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi everyone!

If I were you I would wait to apply til next year. You have left it very late to take UKCAT/BMAT, as they do need a lot of preparation to do well, & you have missed the GAMSAT which removes some of your options.

Bear in mind that for GEM they expect you to have far more work experience and knowledge about medicine than school leavers; I imagine that you would also need to have recent work experience/relevant volunteering as well to show that you are still interested and have been preparing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (18)
14.88%
No one else does (44)
36.36%
I'm embarrassed about my background (14)
11.57%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (38)
31.4%
We don't use a video platform (2)
1.65%
I don't have a camera (2)
1.65%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
2.48%

Watched Threads