Physics Coursework (Mechanics involved)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
SunGod
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Okay, this is my third piece of coursework and I have been given some values taken by students with a tickertimer for the exact time taken for a buggy-type vechicle to travel down a plank of wood which has been set at an angle to the horizontal (the table in this case)

I was given the height of the plank, the length of the plank, the length of the buggy and the length of the tickertimer (obviously you remove the length of the tickertimer and buggy from the length of the plank to get the distance the buggy will be travelling) I have worked out the average distance for each reading (given in 0.1s intervals) I also plotted graphs and have drawn lines of best fit. I have worked out the angle of the plank in order to work out the time the buggy will take to travel down the plank if there were no other forces acting upon it (friction, air resistance). This is the stage I am at now, I am going to compare the two numbers. But once I have done that what could I do next? Keeping in mind that this is only a data analysis coursework. I am not supposed to carry out this investigation and then write up on it, I have simply been given values and I am to interpret the data.

Perhaps I should compare this with another set of data I was given, but what could I compare? (other sets of data have different heights)
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't know much about getting the marks, but it would be interesting to work out the forces resisting gravity at different times by comparing the actual results to theoretical results with no resistance. Then you could analyse how resistance was increasing with time or velocity.
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
^ yes, very good suggestion
SunGod
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Ah I see, I have already explained I am going to compare results between a buggy without friction acting upon it and without. I'll definately try working out how resistance increases with time, if both both time and velocity. Thanks.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (240)
47.06%
Take exams next summer (69)
13.53%
Change uni choice through clearing (111)
21.76%
Apply to uni next year instead (53)
10.39%
I'm not applying to university (37)
7.25%

Watched Threads