The Student Room Group

PAT - November 6th 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StarvingAutist
Mock exams already? :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.. real exams are in Oct/Nov :biggrin:
I have an exam on the same day as PAT!
Would our offers be conditional on the PAT or would we get offers after we're done with the PAT and any interviews?
What course are you guys applying for?
Original post by peterith
Yes.. real exams are in Oct/Nov :biggrin:
I have an exam on the same day as PAT!

Nasty! :lol:

Original post by TheKingOfTSR
Would our offers be conditional on the PAT or would we get offers after we're done with the PAT and any interviews?

Interviews are largely dependent on PAT scores, and offers are based on how well you do overall.

I'm applying for physics :woo:

MPhys

Interviews are largely dependent on PAT scores, and offers are based on how well you do overall.

Alright.

Also if I apply for only one choice (at Oxford) , then can I apply for more choices while my application is being processed by Oxford? , and can I apply for the remaining four choices if and after I fail to get a place at Oxford ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Natural world: atomic structure. Structure of the solar system. Phases of the moon and eclipses."

Can someone please help me out here? What do we need to know about the solar system and the moon? Thnxxx
Also, does anyone know if the minimum mark to get shortlisted is the same for Engineering Science and Physics? I can't find any admission statistics for Engineering Science. :redface:
Alright.

Also if I apply for only one choice (at Oxford) , then can I apply for more choices while my application is being processed by Oxford? , and can I apply for the remaining four choices if and after I fail to get a place at Oxford ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was under the impression you had to do it all in one go, I could be wrong though.

Also, does anyone know if the minimum mark to get shortlisted is the same for Engineering Science and Physics? I can't find any admission statistics for Engineering Science. :redface:

What's the stat for physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone doing CIE Physics? There are a lot of stuff not in the syllabus.. maybe we can help each other :colondollar:
I'm fairly certain will depend on the strength of applicants to the specific course, so the cutoff wouldn't be shared.

I was under the impression you had to do it all in one go, I could be wrong though.
You can add more choices at a later date, although need to do so before January 15th. (Which is about the same time Oxford decisions come through, so you may need to decide on your other courses without hearing from Oxford.)
Original post by fluteflute
I'm fairly certain will depend on the strength of applicants to the specific course, so the cutoff wouldn't be shared.

I think I figured that out by looking at the percentage of applicants interviewed, assuming that applicants of both courses have the same mean and variance. Physics is at around 40% while Engineering is at around 60% :rolleyes:
Hopefully this means that the cutoff for Engineering is lower.
Do we need to know about the maclaurin series?? :confused:
Do we need to know about the maclaurin series?? :confused:

I wouldn't have thought so

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is a question which deals with an angle size of 5mrad. that's 5/1000 radians LOL! I was told to estimate cos x to 1 - x^2/2! .....
The Physics part will require knowledge of year 12 physics as well as some of the topics that will be covered in year 13 like capacitance and centripetal force/acceleration. I suggest you go through questions outside your Physics syllabus with your teacher at school.

By the way, what course are you applying for?

Hey! Thanks for the answer.
I am applying for Engineering Science.
The few physics questions at the end are nerve-racking. :eek:
Reply 37
Original post by AkashdeepDeb
Hey! Thanks for the answer.
I am applying for Engineering Science.
The few physics questions at the end are nerve-racking. :eek:

Thats for sure! Those physics questions at the end are quite mind-boggling! :s-smilie:
Hi. I've just started studying for the PAT(not sure if I'm late or not but I've only just decided to apply to oxford) and with there being no official solutions, and some of the questions being weird, I'm struggling to know how I've done, and sometimes what a we question wants. I've only done the 2013 paper so far, but there are a few questions I'm unsure on, I would greatly appreciate if someone could help. I'm not sure if my solution for this triangle question is right. And I don't understand really what the other question wants(if more information is needed just ask, but I'm sure so e people who have taken the test can remember and help)
thanks
Reply 39
Re admission criteria, for Engineering Science I believe the PAT is used as a cut off for the bottom 1/3 or 1/4 of candidates, and matters little once you get to the interview stage. I passed the PAT cut off with a margin of only 1 or 2%, but did very well in my interviews and got my first choice - I wouldn't worry about doing very well on it, as long as you don't fail it!

Re the series, you need to be able to decide when those are a good estimate fora certain angle, e.g. small angle sin and tan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending