The Student Room Group

question about adjustment

I want to do GFX at Uni and most of the courses I want to do are ABB. For AS I got a B in GFX, B in Photography and a D in History. I am being predicted an A in photography, B in gfx and a d/c (guessing haven't spoken to my teacher yet) in history.

Now at the moment I should be looking at unis that are equivalent to these predicted grades however i think i could pull off a b in history.

so I am wondering, on results day if I end up getting ABB and all the options I chose were unis equalivent to my predicted grades would it be impossible to go to an ABB uni? In my options do I need to make 1 or 2 of my choices something higher then my predicted grades to go through the adjustment process if i need it? Or can you go through with adjustment even if you didn't choose the ABB uni you want to go to as an option?
Original post by mustangmix
I want to do GFX at Uni and most of the courses I want to do are ABB. For AS I got a B in GFX, B in Photography and a D in History. I am being predicted an A in photography, B in gfx and a d/c (guessing haven't spoken to my teacher yet) in history.

Now at the moment I should be looking at unis that are equivalent to these predicted grades however i think i could pull off a b in history.

so I am wondering, on results day if I end up getting ABB and all the options I chose were unis equalivent to my predicted grades would it be impossible to go to an ABB uni? In my options do I need to make 1 or 2 of my choices something higher then my predicted grades to go through the adjustment process if i need it? Or can you go through with adjustment even if you didn't choose the ABB uni you want to go to as an option?

Adjustment means that you must exceed your firm offer, whatever that is. It doesn't matter what that offer is, as long as you do better. Whether an adjustment university is interested in taking you depends on factors only they will decide on.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Adjustment means that you must exceed your firm offer, whatever that is. It doesn't matter what that offer is, as long as you do better. Whether an adjustment university is interested in taking you depends on factors only they will decide on.

Thank you. What I am asking is eg. all my options for unis are middlesex, loughborough, reading, falmouth and edinburgh. (lets pretend these all accept ABC) if I end up getting exceeding my firm offer could I apply to leeds? Or can you apply to a uni through adjustment if you only made one of yours option in the 1st place? Also as well as needing to exceed your firm offer, do you need to exceed OR match the adjustments unis entry requirements?

And can you apply to a uni with an offer of BBB with ABC predicted?
Thank you. What I am asking is eg. all my options for unis are middlesex, loughborough, reading, falmouth and edinburgh. (lets pretend these all accept ABC) if I end up getting exceeding my firm offer could I apply to leeds? Or can you apply to a uni through adjustment if you only made one of yours option in the 1st place? Also as well as needing to exceed your firm offer, do you need to exceed OR match the adjustments unis entry requirements?

You can apply anywhere. You don't have to have applied there originally. However, even if you have exceeded your firm offer, there is no point in applying to a university where you don't meet the entry requirements. You can phone them up and ask, though. You can apply to a university with BBB if you have ABC, but don't have too many of them.

I see you are applying for graphic design (at least, that's my interpretation of what you say) and in that case, I strongly recommend you take an art foundation course first. Edinburgh, Falmouth, Loughborough and Leeds in particular are very competitive and the overwhelming majority of applicants will have done one. You won't be playing on a level playing field, regardless of A level grades, and with art courses, it's all about the portfolio. It's much less about grades. The foundation course will supercede your A levels and solve your problem there. It carries a substantial wodge of Ucas points and your portfolio will be a whole year more professional.

FWIW, Edinburgh's bottom line is BBB and they don't budge from that.
(edited 9 years ago)

If you exceed your firm offer you can apply to any university which is accepting adjustment candidates, not just your original five.

Whether the adjustment uni takes you is up to them and in theory you do not have to meet or exceed their normal requirements. If you don't then your chances of acceptance are naturally reduced.

Yes you can apply to a BBB course with ABC predicted and would stand a reasonable chance of an offer. Ditto ABB courses. Remember that you have 5 choices so why not aim high with one of them? Otoh you do need to get the grades required to be guaranteed a place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending