?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Which book is better???

CGP AS Chemistry Student Book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

OR

Oxford (Nelson Thornes??) AS Chemistry Student Book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Chemistr...s=as+chemistry

Based on reviews im leaning toward the CGP Guide, apparently there quite a few mistakes in the Nelson Thornes textbook and it overcomplicates simple things and has some poor explanations as well as missing a few minor things.
username1042883
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Nelson Thornes book has lovely questions at the end of each chapter, which are helpful.

But other than that, the CGP book is better- it explains things more clearly, and does a better job of showing what you need to learn. The Nelson Thornes book is nowhere near straightforward. I used mainly the CGP book and some online notes and those were all I needed. There are a lot of mistakes in it too.

I got a different book to the one you linked though: https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/b...aqa.book_CAR71
username1306902
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by charlesn202)
The Nelson Thornes book has lovely questions at the end of each chapter, which are helpful.

But other than that, the CGP book is better- it explains things more clearly, and does a better job of showing what you need to learn. The Nelson Thornes book is nowhere near straightforward. I used mainly the CGP book and some online notes and those were all I needed. There are a lot of mistakes in it too.

I got a different book to the one you linked though: https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/b...aqa.book_CAR71
Ok Thanks, the CGP book i linked is a textbook (or studentbook) i think and the CGP Book you linked is a revision guide.
mynameisntbobk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had the plain CGP revision guide and hardly used it tbh. I think the Nelson Thornes textbook covers everything you need to know (apart from a few things in unit 5) but it is also filled with unnecessary information.
username1042883
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jarjarmonkey)
Ok Thanks, the CGP book i linked is a textbook (or studentbook) i think and the CGP Book you linked is a revision guide.
Yeah, only realised when I checked the link, didn't see it before posting :P but I've flicked through the one in your post before and it looks better to me than the "official" one. The one I linked still is a bit silly though.

I guess which book you will prefer depends though, because I've seen people saying they don't like the CGP books and other people saying they prefer them. If you can, try and look through them both!
Dylann
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Use both. Nelson Thornes is the specification approved one, whilst the CGP is useful for recap.
doney
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
are there any other textbooks you would recommend getting for the as and a2 course?
mynameisntbobk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by doney)
are there any other textbooks you would recommend getting for the as and a2 course?
My teacher recommended the Collins textbook
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (28)
5.57%
Uncertainty around my education (58)
11.53%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (60)
11.93%
Lack of purpose or motivation (66)
13.12%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (28)
5.57%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (22)
4.37%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (53)
10.54%
Financial worries (30)
5.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.98%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.36%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.98%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (49)
9.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (42)
8.35%

Watched Threads