The Student Room Group

Southampton University BM4 GEP Medicine Applicants 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Going_To_California
Someone above rang admissions (sorry can't remember your name!) And they said we'd hear today or tomorrow... I took that to mean they'd be inviting both days.
Hopefully you'll hear tomorrow :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I really hope so!
Interview on the 9th in the afternoon :smile: getting nervous already!
Reply 62
Hi guys! First time poster, long time lurker on the main GEM 2015 thread. Invited to interview on the afternoon of the 9th - group task at 4pm!

Do we know what the ratios of interviews : offers : places is?

Good luck to you all, hope to see some of you on the day (and in September!!)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by Al_anine
Hi guys! First time poster, long time lurker on the main GEM 2015 thread. Invited to interview on the afternoon of the 9th - group task at 4pm!

The numbers I've seen are perhaps around 100 interviewees, and 50-60 offers for 40 places.

Like most things on this forum this is wild speculation and by writing this post I have probably increased the perceived legitimacy of these numbers.
Original post by Al_anine

Original post by skyhook
The numbers I've seen are perhaps around 100 interviewees, and 50-60 offers for 40 places.

Like most things on this forum this is wild speculation and by writing this post I have probably increased the perceived legitimacy of these numbers.

Last year, the official lowest interviewed UKCAT score was a total of 3000 (average of 750). There were over 1800 applications to BM4, 142 interviews and 57 offers made in total.

Note: UKCAT scores look are expected to drop by 200 points this year.
Hey :smile: I have my interview on 9th in the morning.. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about or examples of the group task? I am a little worried about that >.<
Reply 66
Original post by missytrudy
Hey :smile: I have my interview on 9th in the morning.. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about or examples of the group task? I am a little worried about that >.<

Ditto this ^^ the fact that they only gave 2 weeks notice also isn't helping!
Original post by bim1

I know, there are so many deadlines too!! It's crazy X_X But Good luck and see you then :biggrin:
Original post by missytrudy

Original post by bim1

You're not allowed to know but it is in't something you can prepare for in advance. On the day they'll give you 5 minutes to gather your thoughts on the task but it is basically a discussion of sorts. It's really low pressure and quite a relaxed interview day :yes:. Lots of people rather enjoyed it in the end :smile:
Will there be any science questions in this interview does anyone think? If so... how are any other humanities grads intending to prepare for this? I am extremely rusty on all sciences to say the least.
Did anyone contact soton today to see if they have indeed sent out all their interview invites? I'm pretty sure they have but at this point I'd just like a sense of finality.
Reply 71
Original post by santi_92
Did anyone contact soton today to see if they have indeed sent out all their interview invites? I'm pretty sure they have but at this point I'd just like a sense of finality.

I spoke to them earlier and they said most interviews had been sent out but a few remained, these will be sent out by the end of the week I was told. So fingers crossed still I guess...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Original post by DandyC
I spoke to them earlier and they said most interviews had been sent out but a few remained, these will be sent out by the end of the week I was told. So fingers crossed still I guess...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did they by any chance mention their UKCAT cut off?
Original post by marmaladeskies69
Will there be any science questions in this interview does anyone think? If so... how are any other humanities grads intending to prepare for this? I am extremely rusty on all sciences to say the least.

I don't believe so. I think the panel interview will be fairly general, "why medicine", "why Southampton" etc questions. Plus the usual competency questions and wider knowlede (eg "what have you read in the news that interested you?")
Original post by marmaladeskies69

The invite said that they are only looking at non-academic criteria in the interview and the group task.:smile: I think - hope I've interpreted that correctly...:tongue:
Does anyone know the bm4 cutoff this year? People who've got interviews- what's your ukcat? I'm trying to guess what the bm5 cutoff will be!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ellipsis...
Does anyone know the bm4 cutoff this year? People who've got interviews- what's your ukcat? I'm trying to guess what the bm5 cutoff will be!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lowest interview for BM4 on here appears to be 720, I think last year it was around 750, so a decent drop!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

The cut off is likely to be 200 points lower than last year. You can't really work this stuff out. Stop stressing over it and work on getting the grades to get in, rather than trying to guess whether r not things are working in your favour. TSR is a very small subsection of applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an interview for BM4 with 815 UKCAT. But there's no point stressing about the cutoff, seriously. As Neostigmine points out, it'll most likely go down from last year's score by the same amount as the average score reduction.
Reply 79
I wonder if they'll send out some offers before the new year. If they are interviewing all BM4, it makes no sense to wait months and months before sending out some offers, surely they will at least sent out the strong offers. I think last year it was a couple of weeks after the last interview date that people started receiving them. I'd love to go to my other interviews with a Soton offer in the bag!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending