The Student Room Group

Newcastle University A101 GEP Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ilem
Something around 120-140 interviews for 24 places, so around 36 offers.

Thanks a mil! Those odds could be worse...
Original post by JCBiomed
Hi everyone,

I'm a current first year Accelerator at Newcastle. If anyone has any questions I will endeavour to answer them.

Good luck!

Thanks! Can I ask a bit about the interview?
Reply 42
Original post by Going_To_California
Thanks! Can I ask a bit about the interview?

Yeah of course
Yeah of course

Just general questions really, what kind of things do they ask? Is it just a panel interview? Any terrifying moments? :tongue:
Reply 44
Original post by Going_To_California
That's really interesting and helpful, thanks!
How are you finding med school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's certainly much harder than I expected it would be, coming from a science background. The content isn't difficult but the volume is incredible.

Having spoken to a number of lecturers, they say that the majority of people will dislike the A101 year, but everyone absolutely loves 3rd, 4th and 5th year.
It's certainly much harder than I expected it would be, coming from a science background. The content isn't difficult but the volume is incredible.

Having spoken to a number of lecturers, they say that the majority of people will dislike the A101 year, but everyone absolutely loves 3rd, 4th and 5th year.

Yeah, that appears to be the consensus about the first year... how is this volume possible! It must be really difficult not being from a science background.
I just got an email from Newcastle thanking me for booking an interview...?! On the one hand, yay I got an interview, on the other hand, I didn't book that date/time because I didn't get an invite?! I'm also out of the country on the day they think I booked, so I don't know what to do?!

Did you guys who have interviews get an email like this or did you actually choose your own time/date?
Original post by JenniB22
I just got an email from Newcastle thanking me for booking an interview...?! On the one hand, yay I got an interview, on the other hand, I didn't book that date/time because I didn't get an invite?! I'm also out of the country on the day they think I booked, so I don't know what to do?!

Did you guys who have interviews get an email like this or did you actually choose your own time/date?

No, there was an email with a link to an online calendar system where you picked a day and a timeslot from a list... Maybe they forgot about you or messed up your invite, and suddenly realised they could only fit you in at that timeslot? I'd definitely give them a ring, in any case!
Original post by minordetour
No, there was an email with a link to an online calendar system where you picked a day and a timeslot from a list... Maybe they forgot about you or messed up your invite, and suddenly realised they could only fit you in at that timeslot? I'd definitely give them a ring, in any case!

I suspected as much...I tried to call but I guess they were out of the office at 4.45pm. I'll try again tomorrow and I've sent an email too, hopefully they have some other slots left :/
Original post by JenniB22
I suspected as much...I tried to call but I guess they were out of the office at 4.45pm. I'll try again tomorrow and I've sent an email too, hopefully they have some other slots left :/

I literally just called them a minute ago (unrelated query) and there was someone there. I'll PM you the number I used.
Original post by minordetour
I literally just called them a minute ago (unrelated query) and there was someone there. I'll PM you the number I used.

Ah thanks!! I rang again and spoke to a very nice chap called Phil Diggle. Interview people aren't there until the morning but he said he will sort it out then :smile:
Reply 51
Hi everyone,

I'm a current first year Accelerator at Newcastle. If anyone has any questions I will endeavour to answer them.

Good luck!

Were you able to answer all questions at your interview last year, or lack depth in any of them? Or is there anyone at medical school who thought their interview went badly but got in?

Just wondering if there is any leeway if I get stuck on any questions.
Reply 52
Original post by sam2192
Were you able to answer all questions at your interview last year, or lack depth in any of them? Or is there anyone at medical school who thought their interview went badly but got in?

Just wondering if there is any leeway if I get stuck on any questions.

I personally didn't answer anything badly or wrong, but neither did I answer it with mind blowing'ness. It was just very generic, very standard, very average.

As for other people, I think all of us felt the same.

My interview didn't contain any difficult questions. They were open questions and allowed for as much detail as you wanted to give
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 53
I personally didn't answer anything badly or wrong, but neither did I answer it with mind blowing'ness. It was just very generic, very standard, very average.

As for other people, I think all of us felt the same.

My interview didn't contain any difficult questions. They were open questions and allowed for as much detail as you wanted to give

I don't suppose you had that feeling from any other interviews and still got an offer? Had the first one the other day and no idea what to make of it :tongue:
Reply 54
I only got an e-mail right after the UCAS deadline saying a quick and generic thank you. I am afraid I might have missed some e-mails as our university e-mail accounts gave off errors for two weeks during December.

Did any of you, before receiving an offer for an interview or rejection, got send any other information like an account for an online portal (as for King's) or a request for certain documents?

As I currently reside in America (though being an EU-applicant) it is almost impossible to call during their office hours, but I have already e-mailed them (and did not get an answer yet).
Reply 55
Original post by alot
I only got an e-mail right after the UCAS deadline saying a quick and generic thank you. I am afraid I might have missed some e-mails as our university e-mail accounts gave off errors for two weeks during December.

Did any of you, before receiving an offer for an interview or rejection, got send any other information like an account for an online portal (as for King's) or a request for certain documents?

As I currently reside in America (though being an EU-applicant) it is almost impossible to call during their office hours, but I have already e-mailed them (and did not get an answer yet).

I didn't, just the thank you for your application email and then the interview email
Reply 56
Reply 57
Original post by alot

Just thought, there were login details to book the interview as part of the interview email. But no login details prior to that
Reply 58
Congratulations to all who have had interviews so far!

Has anyone had a rejection from Newcastle A101 for this cycle? I'm fairly sure I'll have a rejection (UKCAT 680) but am reluctant to make plans (have a week booked off work in feb for interview or holiday depending on how things went down!) until I know for sure.

Is anyone else in this position?

The Newcastle threads are very quiet in comparison with other GEP threads!

:smile:
Reply 59
FYI - email re: interview:

"Thank you for your email.

I can confirm we have decided not to trial MMI, so all applicants will have a standard panel interview with two selectors, lasting approximately 25 minutes.

Kind regards,

Danielle Sutherland
MBBS Support"

Quick Reply

Latest