The Student Room Group

Where do I dispose of a laptop?

I have 3 old laptops that need throwing out. What is the safest way to do so? Should I find a tip and throw them in there, should I smash them up or should I dispose them in an ordinary bin?
Reply 1
Probably best of taking the hard drives out the old laptops and keeping them so no one can steal any data, do what you want after that though probably some generic recycle website? As for the old hard drives keep them if you want or smash them up so all your data is safe :smile:
Reply 2
Have a look on http://www.recyclenow.com/ - it'll show you where you can drop them off for recycling. Certainly don't smash them up, batteries have a habit of catching fire / exploding if they're punctured and the dust is rather bad for you. There's lots of stuff that's recyclable or reusable, or if they still work perhaps consider donating them?
Reply 3
eBay
I took the hard drives out awhile ago. So the safest way is to recycle then, judging from your comments?
Reply 5
eBay is definitely a viable option, there are weirdos out there (like me) who buy old computers and put them to use. It makes you more money than throwing them on a tip or whatever, too. Failing that, Freecycle could be an option.
Original post by Tootles
eBay is definitely a viable option, there are weirdos out there (like me) who buy old computers and put them to use. It makes you more money than throwing them on a tip or whatever, too. Failing that, Freecycle could be an option.

I will definitely consider that then. So, what do you recommend I do when selling them on eBay? What do I need to consider? Do I sell the whole laptop (without the hard drive obviously)?
Reply 7
Original post by AnEvolvedApe
I will definitely consider that then. So, what do you recommend I do when selling them on eBay? What do I need to consider? Do I sell the whole laptop (without the hard drive obviously)?
Well the hard drives would be kind of useful to be honest, haha. There's a way to do a reliable wipe on a drive, though when I've bought old machines before I've been thoroughly uninterested in what might be on them - normally I fdisk them myself and install an OS of my choice.

I haven't ever sold anything on eBay before, so I can't really tell you much more about that. All I'd say is that if you're going to sell without the hard drive, look for where laptop hard drives are sold on eBay and maybe put a link on the page for each laptop, along with a note saying that for security reasons you're not including the hard drives.
Original post by Tootles
Well the hard drives would be kind of useful to be honest, haha. There's a way to do a reliable wipe on a drive, though when I've bought old machines before I've been thoroughly uninterested in what might be on them - normally I fdisk them myself and install an OS of my choice.

I haven't ever sold anything on eBay before, so I can't really tell you much more about that. All I'd say is that if you're going to sell without the hard drive, look for where laptop hard drives are sold on eBay and maybe put a link on the page for each laptop, along with a note saying that for security reasons you're not including the hard drives.

I was thinking of keeping the hard drives for personal use myself as well as safety reasons, thus I may not list them at all. Surely, I can sell the laptops for people who just needs parts? I have sold on eBay before, but nothing like laptops.
Reply 9
Original post by AnEvolvedApe
I was thinking of keeping the hard drives for personal use myself as well as safety reasons, thus I may not list them at all. Surely, I can sell the laptops for people who just needs parts? I have sold on eBay before, but nothing like laptops.
Well, mark them for parts if you like - but if they're in working order you'll make some money off them :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest