Turn on thread page Beta

Do you consider a cockney accent to be chavvy? watch

• View Poll Results: Are cockney's chavs?
    Yes
    24.44%
    No
    75.56%

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, I've heard people make this assumption, do you think that mildly cockney people talk like chavs/are chavs?

Jus on the basis on the accent, without all the extra words (is it?/bothered? etc.)

ReputationRep:
    Well most chavs try and talk like cockneys, thats why some people may think that, but it doesnt mean most cockneys are chavs .

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    Lol...no.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all - takes more than an accent to make a person chavvy!

ReputationRep:
    Pete Doherty has a cockney accent, hes not a chav. Theres loads of other examples aswell im sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    Pete Doherty has a cockney accent, hes not a chav. Theres loads of other examples aswell im sure
    But Pete's a druggy! What does that mean about cockney people?? :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the brummy accent is chavvy, i'm really trying to avoid picking it up

ReputationRep:
    i judge chavs on what they wear

ReputationRep:
    cockney=common=chav

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prince of persia)
    cockney=common=chav
    wow, what a lovely large generalistion you made there:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

There's true cockney (all of whom are over 65) and everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    No!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gossip_girl)
    wow, what a lovely large generalistion you made there:rolleyes:
    Thing is, there may well exist a difference between the two words on a semantic level, but they are both in essence merely ways of referring to the common mass 'herd' the rest of us try so hard to get away from.

ReputationRep:
    i love common people. Cockneys are okay (but theres not many in Wales) and chavs i (usually) hate. they dont mean the same thing to me at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prince of persia)
    Thing is, there may well exist a difference between the two words on a semantic level, but they are both in essence merely ways of referring to the common mass 'herd' the rest of us try so hard to get away from.
    As far as I am concerned, I am proud to call myself a Cockney. Yes I am common, Yes I like to wear designer clothing...to a degree (no head to toe Burberry!) Yes I swear and curse with the best of them but I also have a mind that provides me with enough wisdom to apply myself to any subject and succeed. A mind that I might add, I put down to my "common" upbringing.

For an educated person you are very ignorant. I would never change my roots to succumb to the general assumption in the world of Education that a "common" accent as you put it, somehow affects the functionality of my brain or senses. In actual fact it would probably put me in better stead for the world then a privately educated, sheltered, hooray Henry.

Chav's are a different breed all together. They do not strive for the betterment of society and rarely leave the life of state dependency.

I am not sure where you are from but If you take a trip to the capital you will find that the majority of the workforce here is made up by the commoners of our society, many without degree's, while the Dole queues are littered with the remains of what our universities are churning out today.

I hope that answers your original question makecake, and to you, Prince of Persia, I hope you will sleep well in the comfortable knowledge that when you graduate you will have a guaranteed income of £128.60 alongside the Chav's you vehemently condemn.

P.S Cockney is derived from an old English slang term given by the Country folk to London City dwellers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samlouise01)
    As far as I am concerned, I am proud to call myself a Cockney. Yes I am common, Yes I like to wear designer clothing...to a degree (no head to toe Burberry!) Yes I swear and curse with the best of them but I also have a mind that provides me with enough wisdom to apply myself to any subject and succeed. A mind that I might add, I put down to my "common" upbringing.

For an educated person you are very ignorant. I would never change my roots to succumb to the general assumption in the world of Education that a "common" accent as you put it, somehow affects the functionality of my brain or senses. In actual fact it would probably put me in better stead for the world then a privately educated, sheltered, hooray Henry.

Chav's are a different breed all together. They do not strive for the betterment of society and rarely leave the life of state dependency.

I am not sure where you are from but If you take a trip to the capital you will find that the majority of the workforce here is made up by the commoners of our society, many without degree's, while the Dole queues are littered with the remains of what our universities are churning out today.

I hope that answers your original question makecake, and to you, Prince of Persia, I hope you will sleep well in the comfortable knowledge that when you graduate you will have a guaranteed income of £128.60 alongside the Chav's you vehemently condemn.

P.S Cockney is derived from an old English slang term given by the Country folk to London City dwellers.
    Wow. You commented on a post I made 5 years ago? When I was at sixth form. In all honesty I'm surprised at quite how much of a tool I sounded!

Anyway, ofcourse you are right. There are many benefits to private schooling - there are also many faults. An over-inflated sense of confidence (or rather arrogance) is one, which I've tried hard to overcome! I'll admit I'm probably still loaded with prejudice, but reading this back 5 years later does make me think quite how much I've changed!

ReputationRep:
    Real cockneys are usually much more inteligent than chavs.and contribute much more to society ie London taxi driver & even the terminal manager at a London airport sounded cockney but alas no airline pilots.

Its true that chavs try to copy their accent even much further north. & the east end criminal underworld so often portrayed on film & TV all of which could give cockneys a bad name. There's a lot of older ppl in my area (S lincs) who sound like cockneys yet originaly came from Kent so they tend to sound all the same to us northerners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samlouise01)

Well said mate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nut_of_all_nuts)
    But Pete's a druggy! What does that mean about cockney people?? :p:
    But he's different because he is in a band.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.