Could another species become as intelligent as humans?

Watch
Autistic Merit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
After several thousand years? For example, dolphins or elephants?
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It depends if somehow an increased intelligence would give them a selective advantage. Maybe - as things are getting tougher on species - so maybe only the smarter ones survive or something :P I dunno really haha.
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think the reverse might be true, some people are as intelligent as slugs or starfish.
Mr...
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maybe monkeys or dolphins :dontknow:
Sayonara
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Unless they are genetically modified, I don't think they would become as intelligent as humans in such a short timespan.

It depends on what people define as intelligent. Natural intelligence?

Humans have superior ability to communicate & express their ideas easily, access to high quality education and manipulate physical objects.

If there is to be something more superior than humans (in Earth) in the near future, my only guess would be robots.

I'm not an expert but this is my guess... Just a hunch.
Doomlar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well primarily they would need to develop a way to communicate similar to our languages; that is one of the main barriers between ourselves and other intelligent animals such as monkeys, and dolphins.
Autistic Merit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Doomlar)
Well primarily they would need to develop a way to communicate similar to our languages; that is one of the main barriers between ourselves and other intelligent animals such as monkeys, and dolphins.
Don't dolphins have some sort of language?
SK7866
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
After watching Dawn of the planet of the apes I think apes
Politricks
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If a species were to become as intelligent as humans are today, it would take more than several thousand years; for such a radical change, that amount of time is infinitesimaly small on an evolutionary timescale. It would take a few hundred million years, or even a few billion years, depending on the species and the selection pressures that it is subjected to.
pjm600
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
First, define intelligence.
mrfletch
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Politricks)
If a species were to become as intelligent as humans are today, it would take more than several thousand years, it would take a few million years to few hundred million years, or even a few billion years, depending on the species and the selection pressures it is subjected to.
I'm no expert but I can't see it taking more than a few million. We didn't exactly take billions of years to evolve from being apes to being humans.
Doomlar
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Autistic Merit)
Don't dolphins have some sort of language?
I think they may have a very primitive form of language, but it isn't complex like ours- as far as I am aware anyway.
username1398367
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
During the Cold War, the Soviats bred humans with chimpanzees to create a species with human-like intelligence (avg. IQ of 65). To this day I wonder why they didn't let the 'manpanzees' breed with each other.
Rorschach II
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think Dolphins have sonar communication abilities and it's apparently better than any sonar system humans have.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I really doubt it.
white boy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
After watching A Bug's Life I think bugs
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
It's possible, but they may not as we would pretty much prevent their intelligence from improving.
mrfletch
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
After watching Guardians of the Galaxy I think raccoons.
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Autistic Merit)
After several thousand years? For example, dolphins or elephants?
How are you defining intelligence? Looking at the brain size and structure, a sperm whale would score ~2000 on a human IQ test.

It's only human arrogance that defines intelligence as mathematical ability, or how much science you know, or how good you are at writing stories.
JuliusDS92
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tootles)
How are you defining intelligence? Looking at the brain size and structure, a sperm whale would score ~2000 on a human IQ test.

It's only human arrogance that defines intelligence as mathematical ability, or how much science you know, or how good you are at writing stories.
How do you reason that a sperm whale would score 2000 on an IQ test?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (125)
46.82%
Take exams next summer (38)
14.23%
Change uni choice through clearing (68)
25.47%
Apply to uni next year instead (24)
8.99%
I'm not applying to university (12)
4.49%

Watched Threads