Turn on thread page Beta

Could another species become as intelligent as humans? watch

ReputationRep:
    After several thousand years? For example, dolphins or elephants?

ReputationRep:
    It depends if somehow an increased intelligence would give them a selective advantage. Maybe - as things are getting tougher on species - so maybe only the smarter ones survive or something :P I dunno really haha.

ReputationRep:
    I think the reverse might be true, some people are as intelligent as slugs or starfish.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Maybe monkeys or dolphins :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Unless they are genetically modified, I don't think they would become as intelligent as humans in such a short timespan.

It depends on what people define as intelligent. Natural intelligence?

Humans have superior ability to communicate & express their ideas easily, access to high quality education and manipulate physical objects.

If there is to be something more superior than humans (in Earth) in the near future, my only guess would be robots.

I'm not an expert but this is my guess... Just a hunch.

ReputationRep:
    Well primarily they would need to develop a way to communicate similar to our languages; that is one of the main barriers between ourselves and other intelligent animals such as monkeys, and dolphins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doomlar)
    Well primarily they would need to develop a way to communicate similar to our languages; that is one of the main barriers between ourselves and other intelligent animals such as monkeys, and dolphins.
    Don't dolphins have some sort of language?

ReputationRep:
    After watching Dawn of the planet of the apes I think apes

ReputationRep:
    If a species were to become as intelligent as humans are today, it would take more than several thousand years; for such a radical change, that amount of time is infinitesimaly small on an evolutionary timescale. It would take a few hundred million years, or even a few billion years, depending on the species and the selection pressures that it is subjected to.

ReputationRep:
    First, define intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politricks)
    If a species were to become as intelligent as humans are today, it would take more than several thousand years, it would take a few million years to few hundred million years, or even a few billion years, depending on the species and the selection pressures it is subjected to.
    I'm no expert but I can't see it taking more than a few million. We didn't exactly take billions of years to evolve from being apes to being humans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Autistic Merit)
    Don't dolphins have some sort of language?
    I think they may have a very primitive form of language, but it isn't complex like ours- as far as I am aware anyway.

ReputationRep:
    During the Cold War, the Soviats bred humans with chimpanzees to create a species with human-like intelligence (avg. IQ of 65). To this day I wonder why they didn't let the 'manpanzees' breed with each other.

ReputationRep:
    I think Dolphins have sonar communication abilities and it's apparently better than any sonar system humans have.

ReputationRep:
    I really doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    After watching A Bug's Life I think bugs

ReputationRep:
    It's possible, but they may not as we would pretty much prevent their intelligence from improving.

ReputationRep:
    After watching Guardians of the Galaxy I think raccoons.

(Original post by Autistic Merit)
    After several thousand years? For example, dolphins or elephants?
    How are you defining intelligence? Looking at the brain size and structure, a sperm whale would score ~2000 on a human IQ test.

It's only human arrogance that defines intelligence as mathematical ability, or how much science you know, or how good you are at writing stories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    How are you defining intelligence? Looking at the brain size and structure, a sperm whale would score ~2000 on a human IQ test.

It's only human arrogance that defines intelligence as mathematical ability, or how much science you know, or how good you are at writing stories.
    How do you reason that a sperm whale would score 2000 on an IQ test?

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.