The Student Room Group

A2 Predictions

Hi

I am very happy to say I was predicted ABB in psychology, biology and chemistry. This means I can apply for pharmacy, yes!
But I just wanted to ask, what are the downsides of being predicted such high grades, bearing in mind I got BCD, just 5 points off C.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Psychological problems if you feel you arent capable of that, it's obviosuly going to put pressure on you to obtain those grades.

Also in some rare cases if a university isn't sure about you but you have high predicted grades they could give you a higher offer, thinking that if you prove you are capable are doing better then you justify why you should have a place.

But you should also feel proud that your teachers feel confident in you :smile:

Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Dingo749
Psychological problems if you feel you arent capable of that, it's obviosuly going to put pressure on you to obtain those grades.

Also in some rare cases if a university isn't sure about you but you have high predicted grades they could give you a higher offer, thinking that if you prove you are capable are doing better then you justify why you should have a place.

But you should also feel proud that your teachers feel confident in you :smile:

Good luck!

Thank you.
I'll work hard.
I'm not certain about you recieve offers.
How does it work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The downside is how believable the universities think those predictions are from that starting point. Going up a total of 4 grades is quite a tall order.
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
The downside is how believable the universities think those predictions are from that starting point. Going up a total of 4 grades is quite a tall order.

Ok, I see.
Isn't it normal to be predicted one grade higher than you get at AS? Isn't it believable that I can get one grade higher in my courses with some resits?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smusah12
Ok, I see.
Isn't it normal to be predicted one grade higher than you get at AS? Isn't it believable that I can get one grade higher in my courses with some resits?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's common. It's certainly possible. What is unknown is whether you personally are able to do it. That will depend on how convincingly your teachers justify their predictions in the reference.
Reply 6
Greater workload and pressure for A2 i suppose - And slight risk of being seen unable to match the ABB reqs compared to other students

However definitely not to say you shouldnt apply and get have people get your hopes down! Unis generally send a lot more offers than they have places and its really common to see places offer you a place just for the sake of trying to get you to firm them. Just write a decent PS and hopefully you'll get an offer from your chosen uni!
Why do you think you didn't do so well in Chemistry ?
Reply 8
It's common. It's certainly possible. What is unknown is whether you personally are able to do it. That will depend on how convincingly your teachers justify their predictions in the reference.

Ok, I see.
My teachers were willing to predict me even 2 grades higher if i needed, that was because they know I can do it but I had bad prep for the AS exams. That goes to show that they believe I can do so will write reference to back themselves up? I hope Im okay in saying that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok, I see.
My teachers were willing to predict me even 2 grades higher if i needed, that was because they know I can do it but I had bad prep for the AS exams. That goes to show that they believe I can do so will write reference to back themselves up? I hope Im okay in saying that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, if that's what they say, then one assumes that's what they will do. If your school has a good reputation for making believable predictions, then it should be ok. You asked for the downside in your OP, and the downside is not being believable.
Reply 10
Hi

I am very happy to say I was predicted ABB in psychology, biology and chemistry. This means I can apply for pharmacy, yes!
But I just wanted to ask, what are the downsides of being predicted such high grades, bearing in mind I got BCD, just 5 points off C.
Thanks

Hey :smile:

I'm predicted ABB too
For biology, chemistry & psychology. I got BDD, I was marks away from BCD. I got a B in psychology though :smile:
I'll be retaking unit 1 exams in bio and chem coz they brought my grade down to high Ds. (got an E in unit 1 bio and a U in F321)

The only downside I guess is that people will have high expectations of you.
You've just got to work hard and you'll achieve ABB or even better :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Jkizer
Greater workload and pressure for A2 i suppose - And slight risk of being seen unable to match the ABB reqs compared to other students

However definitely not to say you shouldnt apply and get have people get your hopes down! Unis generally send a lot more offers than they have places and its really common to see places offer you a place just for the sake of trying to get you to firm them. Just write a decent PS and hopefully you'll get an offer from your chosen uni!

I've already started revising and will start practice tests and pass papers as soon we have covered more of the content. I'm willing to work hard, than I've ever done.
I will definitely apply. Manchester university told me to get ABB Predictions and have a good reference and they will look at my application bearing in mind that I told them what I got and I'm going to resit some modules and course work to improve my AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've already started revising and will start practice tests and pass papers as soon we have covered more of the content. I'm willing to work hard, than I've ever done.
I will definitely apply. Manchester university told me to get ABB Predictions and have a good reference and they will look at my application bearing in mind that I told them what I got and I'm going to resit some modules and course work to improve my AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not committing themselves to anything, though. Make sure you apply to a spread of places.
Reply 13
That's not committing themselves to anything, though. Make sure you apply to a spread of places.

Well, I've been told that teachers, as well as school, stick their necks on the line
When they predict.
But I'll spread myself like you've said.
Thanks
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Wow, all of your predictions are absolute bull-****. I got AABB and guess what, my predictions will be exactly that... AABB. If my predictions were as inflated as the majority on this thread I'd have A*A*A*A predictions. LOL, it's ridiculous. What's so good about having over-inflated predictions? When A2 results day comes around you'll be so disappointed. I don't get it.
Original post by JoshZ
Wow, all of your predictions are absolute bull-****. I got AABB and guess what, my predictions will be exactly that... AABB. If my predictions were as inflated as the majority on this thread I'd have A*A*A*A predictions. LOL, it's ridiculous. What's so good about having over-inflated predictions? When A2 results day comes around you'll be so disappointed. I don't get it.

They're not bull**** it's a matter what the teachers think of what you are capable of getting. The new exam system put people of guard and that was the cause of receiving grades which were lower than what they could've had. I had BCC in biol, chem and math respectively and my predicted grades are AAB. But I am resitting 3 exams BY1, CH2 and C2 to have a good chance of getting the results

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by JoshZ

When did you sit your AS exams?
And LOL my predictions are not inflated, it isn't all about the grade you got in AS, it's about the points you got, you may get an A and I'll get a B, looks like your grades are better but if you are one mark into an A and I'm one mark off an A, then we are essentially the same.
So yeah, if your teachers know your potential, then they are not bullsh*t. Did you even need the A*A*A*A or could you very achieve it? If no, then it's pointless talking about it.
Thank you for input though.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Rhyss01
They're not bull**** it's a matter what the teachers think of what you are capable of getting. The new exam system put people of guard and that was the cause of receiving grades which were lower than what they could've had. I had BCC in biol, chem and math respectively and my predicted grades are AAB. But I am resitting 3 exams BY1, CH2 and C2 to have a good chance of getting the results

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly! Thanks. This girl I know got predicted lower than she actually got in AS, and when she asked why, she was told that they feel she may struggle in A2, and it's wiser to predict you what the teachers believe you're capable of achieving.
Like you've said, it's about potential.
Good luck on your resits. I'm resitting 2, Chem1 and PSYB1, with course works.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
When did you sit your AS exams?
And LOL my predictions are not inflated, it isn't all about the grade you got in AS, it's about the points you got, you may get an A and I'll get a B, looks like your grades are better but if you are one mark into an A and I'm one mark off an A, then we are essentially the same.
So yeah, if your teachers know your potential, then they are not bullsh*t. Did you even need the A*A*A*A or could you very achieve it? If no, then it's pointless talking about it.
Thank you for input though.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I have just sat my AS exams this year...
I remember hearing that my predicted grades were EEE after getting a BCC in my AS year. Brought it up with the school, they all had the wrong student. They could have put EEE on my UCAS and wouldn't have even thought twice about it. That would have been a right giggle..

But it's reasonable for the teachers to put the grades up, but obviously that's a tremendous amount of pressure, because essentially you have to meet those grades at a minimum to get into your university of choice. It's possible, but it's just a considerable amount of work. I'm predicted an ABB also and I'm already feeling the need to revise a silly amount.

Just work hard and all will be well. Universities offer places all the time, but predicted grades won't matter if you don't actually get them.

Don't burn yourself out though. That'd be silly.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest