Is Degree harder than A-level? Watch

MptStuSa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi
I was just wondering, A levels are so hard I'm lead to believe its the hardest part of education. Am I right in thinking that or does it only gets worse?.
Thanks
LeftyGuitarist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm only starting uni next month, but when I started my AS levels we were told that the jump from GCSE to A level is bigger than the jump from A level to university. Yes it will be harder, but more than anything I think it will be a big change in learning style.
WSL
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Smusah12)
Hi
I was just wondering, A levels are so hard I'm lead to believe its the hardest part of education. Am I right in thinking that or does it only gets worse?.
Thanks
This will probably vary from person to person. In my experience, my degree programme was extremely difficult and much harder than anything I experienced at A Level. But as I said, it will vary depending on subject and university.
amyelizabeth2681
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'll tell you right now - all I could think about my first year at university was how much I wanted to slap the people who said A-Levels were harder than a university degree with my 2,500 page property law textbook. My personal experience was that university was much MUCH harder.

Now I don't doubt that perhaps some people do find their university degree easier. However, this is highly dependent on which A-Levels you're taking and which degree you decide to do at university (and at what university for that matter). My personal opinion though is that if you find your university degree harder, that's only natural - after all it is a step up in education and suggests your degree will actually be worth something and is doing what it's meant to be doing in challenging you.
natninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by LeftyGuitarist)
I'm only starting uni next month, but when I started my AS levels we were told that the jump from GCSE to A level is bigger than the jump from A level to university. Yes it will be harder, but more than anything I think it will be a big change in learning style.
That isn't strictly true... For my course, the jump between A-levels and degree was astromical and then, when I thought that such difficulty jumps couldn't get any bigger I started second year...
SecretDuck
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You have to do a lot of independent study - but that's pretty much done in A Level as well if you have As and A*s.

So depends on the course and what grades you get in A Level.
LouieSax
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When I went to a university Summer School, there were ambassadors there who had just completed their first, second or third year of university. I talked to a lot of them about this sort of thing and most of them told me the same thing that the actual content of their work was a lot harder than A Level. (as in, I don't know about you, but personally, I didn't find A Levels topics hard to understand it was just learning it all in the right amount of time that I found difficult.) however, they said that the actual time management of things was a lot easier than it was at A Level so although, the work is harder, it was much less stressful to fit things in. But this is just going from other people's opinions, who underwent different degrees but I suppose it varies from person to person, from university to university and from subject to subject
Mr. Tizzy XII
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I found the first year of university relatively easy - it was in the second and third years that things got challenging.
MptStuSa
Rep:
?
(Original post by amyelizabeth2681)
I'll tell you right now - all I could think about my first year at university was how much I wanted to slap the people who said A-Levels were harder than a university degree with my 2,500 page property law textbook. My personal experience was that university was much MUCH harder.

Now I don't doubt that perhaps some people do find their university degree easier. However, this is highly dependent on which A-Levels you're taking and which degree you decide to do at university (and at what university for that matter). My personal opinion though is that if you find your university degree harder, that's only natural - after all it is a step up in education and suggests your degree will actually be worth something and is doing what it's meant to be doing in challenging you.
Oh haha. I guess I should stop saying that....don't want any slap.
I am taking Biology, chemistry and psychology so I guess I'm taking hard courses.
I hopefully wanna study pharmacy at university. Hopefully.
You are very right, thanks for your insight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MptStuSa
Rep:
?
(Original post by WSL)
This will probably vary from person to person. In my experience, my degree programme was extremely difficult and much harder than anything I experienced at A Level. But as I said, it will vary depending on subject and university.
That is a good point. But is there general saying in terms of which is seen to harder?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
MptStuSa
Rep:
?
(Original post by natninja)
That isn't strictly true... For my course, the jump between A-levels and degree was astromical and then, when I thought that such difficulty jumps couldn't get any bigger I started second year...
Wow! I think I'm gonna lose my mind hehe. What percentage did you need to get into second year?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
hassassin04
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends on uni and the degree.
MptStuSa
Rep:
?
(Original post by SecretDuck)
You have to do a lot of independent study - but that's pretty much done in A Level as well if you have As and A*s.

So depends on the course and what grades you get in A Level.
That is very true.
Good point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
natninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wow! I think I'm gonna lose my mind hehe. What percentage did you need to get into second year?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only a pass (40%) but from then on everything counts... so doing well helps.
WSL
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That is a good point. But is there general saying in terms of which is seen to harder?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm afraid I think it's impossible to generalise!

But there's hope, and here's why. The view at A Level is that you either get A*s and As or NOTHING. Exams seem hard, therefore, because all students are working their asses off in order to achieve the absolute highest grades. If students were happy with just Cs and Bs, then the exams wouldn't seem as "hard" to perform reasonably well in.

At university, exams were MUCH more difficult in my experience. However, not all students are fixated on scoring firsts -- and a 2.1 is awesome too. The fall in grade expectations acts to somewhat compensate for the increased hardship of exams.
MptStuSa
Rep:
?
(Original post by LouieSax)
When I went to a university Summer School, there were ambassadors there who had just completed their first, second or third year of university. I talked to a lot of them about this sort of thing and most of them told me the same thing that the actual content of their work was a lot harder than A Level. (as in, I don't know about you, but personally, I didn't find A Levels topics hard to understand it was just learning it all in the right amount of time that I found difficult.) however, they said that the actual time management of things was a lot easier than it was at A Level so although, the work is harder, it was much less stressful to fit things in. But this is just going from other people's opinions, who underwent different degrees but I suppose it varies from person to person, from university to university and from subject to subject
Alright, I see. I think I should have worded my question properly. I knew that the the content was harder but what I meant to say was, the whole system will be different, but how different and how hard will it be for you to graduate with First or 2:1.
Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MptStuSa
Rep:
?
(Original post by natninja)
Only a pass (40%) but from then on everything counts... so doing well helps.
That is good.
My sister's university sent an email to her home address (my address) claiming she had been removed from her initial course after first year and will now get a different degree than what she applied for. She was unaware of this. I called her and told her and she was furious hehe she got 60%. There was an error so is continuing onto her second year.
This is what got me to asking about the pass.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
MptStuSa
Rep:
?
(Original post by WSL)
I'm afraid I think it's impossible to generalise!

But there's hope, and here's why. The view at A Level is that you either get A*s and As or NOTHING. Exams seem hard, therefore, because all students are working their asses off in order to achieve the absolute highest grades. If students were happy with just Cs and Bs, then the exams wouldn't seem as "hard" to perform reasonably well in.

At university, exams were MUCH more difficult in my experience. However, not all students are fixated on scoring firsts -- and a 2.1 is awesome too. The fall in grade expectations acts to somewhat compensate for the increased hardship of exams.
Wow. I can't wait to start degree now.
Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
WSL
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wow. I can't wait to start degree now.
Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Make the most of it. It really is an INCREDIBLE place to be. Work hard, play hard!
MptStuSa
Rep:
?
(Original post by WSL)
Make the most of it. It really is an INCREDIBLE place to be. Work hard, play hard!
Hehe don't worry, I will lol.
Thank you very much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (188)
12.71%
Excited (121)
8.18%
Worried (279)
18.86%
Terrified (343)
23.19%
Meh (121)
8.18%
Confused (34)
2.3%