I've started studying the Bible, Ask Me Anything!

Watch
Davalla
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've recently started studying the Bible, so ask me anything!
VinnicombeDmv
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
-What made you want to study the Bible?
-In what sense are you studying it?
Davalla
Rep:
?
(Original post by VinnicombeDmv)
-What made you want to study the Bible?
-In what sense are you studying it?
- Purely for the experience. The Bible is widely the most well known book, but how many people can actually say that they have a good knowledge of it? I also want to understand the messages that are contained within the Bible, and how they apply to real life situations.

- I basically read it whenever I want to really. I have no fixed reading plan, so when I do read; it should be fully comprehensive to me and not rushed.
Leah910
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
which version of the bible are you reading?
username613045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you got any previous knowledge of the Bible?
Are you a Christian?
Nimmy666
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Jesus has never stated in the bible he is the lord.. Does it say that?!?! Nooooo i thought soo
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you religious?

Posted from TSR Mobile
katiiiiie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you noticed how much it contradicts itself to the religion so far?
username1258398
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Nimmy666)
Jesus has never stated in the bible he is the lord.. Does it say that?!?! Nooooo i thought soo
that's not a question
EverybodyHertz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Did you borrow it from the library just for the funky pictures but have your teacher take it off you because she liked it and wanted to give it to her kids but didn't know it was from the school library in Year 4?

Yeah, me neither
Davalla
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leah910)
which version of the bible are you reading?
I'm reading the Authorised King James' version.
Davalla
Rep:
?
(Original post by horsewithnoname)
Have you got any previous knowledge of the Bible?
Are you a Christian?
Well, I was christened, but other than that I was born to a relatively non Christian family/community.

The only previously knowledge I had of the Bible was the stuff that we learnt at school, such as the story of Genesis, but in less detail.
Davalla
Rep:
?
And your point is?
Davalla
Rep:
?
(Original post by EverybodyHertz)
Did you borrow it from the library just for the funky pictures but have your teacher take it off you because she liked it and wanted to give it to her kids but didn't know it was from the school library in Year 4?

Yeah, me neither
Maybe one day I will have this experience. Maybe one day. :yes:
Davalla
Rep:
?
(Original post by katiiiiie)
Have you noticed how much it contradicts itself to the religion so far?
Not really.
The key to the Bible is interpretation; you may perceive contradiction, while I think of another aspect to the given scenario.

Any examples in mind?
katiiiiie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Davalla)
Not really.
The key to the Bible is interpretation; you may perceive contradiction, while I think of another aspect to the given scenario.

Any examples in mind?
Exactly. I was raised catholic and read the bible, but didn't and still don't understand how some things in the bible are taken literally and others aren't. Like, if you're gonna take one part of the bible seriously, you have to take all of it seriously.

For example there is a part of the bible that tells you not to eat pigs, yet even some extremist preachers who I had the luck to run into said they ate pigs. But then they go shouting about homosexuals. Why aren't they shouting about how pork is wrong? I don't understand :confused: On the other hand the bible also has good in it which you can use in everyday situations.
Nimmy666
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Does it say that!?!? ... Is. As a matter of fact it has a question mark aswell
Davalla
Rep:
?
Does it say that!?!? ... Is. As a matter of fact it has a question mark aswell

Seriously, you could try putting a bit more effort into your questions.

So you're asking wether it says in the Bible that "Jesus is the Lord"?
PurpleTimz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Exactly. I was raised catholic and read the bible, but didn't and still don't understand how some things in the bible are taken literally and others aren't. Like, if you're gonna take one part of the bible seriously, you have to take all of it seriously.

For example there is a part of the bible that tells you not to eat pigs, yet even some extremist preachers who I had the luck to run into said they ate pigs. But then they go shouting about homosexuals. Why aren't they shouting about how pork is wrong? I don't understand :confused: On the other hand the bible also has good in it which you can use in everyday situations.
The part about eating pigs is in the old testament and it was for Jews that's why it was also in the laws of Moses and the Torah therefore it does not really apply to Christians. The bible is about context that's why we do somethings and not ALL things. Jews thought that's you need to do a bunch of good works to be 'saved' but Christians believe that Jesus paid the price on the cross so we don't need to do stuff to make us 'holy' like not eat pork
username613045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Jesus said that it isn't what you eat that defiles you, it's your actions.
The Things That Make a Person Unclean
Then Jesus called the crowd to him and said to them, “Listen and understand! It is not what goes into your mouth that makes you ritually unclean; rather, what comes out of it makes you unclean.”
(Matthew 15:10-11)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (189)
43.65%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.32%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.62%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
21.02%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.62%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.77%

Watched Threads