The Student Room Group

Applying to University of Toronto with these AS level grades. Help

So Im intending to apply for U of T for fall 2015 session. I still haven't completed my A levels but I already got my AS level result. I'm planning to study computer science .

B in Chemistry
C in Physics
C in Maths

So basically quite depressing results, especially for Maths and Physics. However, Im planning to retake Math again . My doubt is, should I look forward repeating Physics as well ? Do they consider repeated grades ?

+ I am currently studying for Physics A2 , Maths A2 and English AS .

I will be very thankful for your help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I am Canadian by birth but currently live in Dubai. In Dubai i have done the GCE british system and i have done a lot of research on Canadian and American universities.

U of T is a really weird university, I know people in my school who got in just on the basis of their GCSE results. For example, i know two girls who got into U of T on the basis of their GCSE results as long as they maintained a B. Both of them got in for english. Although you may say that, "well that is english it doesn't count", so i have a friend in the year above who got i think 4-5 A* 4As and i think 1-2Bs. He then got in to U of T for actuarial science, and his AS grades were ABCD.

Personally, i have done Math, chemistry, physics, biology, and EPQ. In the order of the subjects mentioned, my grades were A, A, C, C, C. I too am disappointed with my grades. I do have a councillor in Canada, to whom i talk to by Skype, she said that my chance of getting into Toronto is possible, but I only have a chance of just above 40%. This accounts for my GCSE grades which were 4A* 5A 4B. Also I have done the SAT and have a score 2050, even with these i only really have a chance of about 40%. (by the way I want to do chemistry)

So there is a chance, but not a guarantee. In your case I am sorry to say it is near impossible to get in. I am sorry to say this, there are two main reasons to why I think this:
1) You only have only done 3AS so far, when most people have done 4. The think with doing three is understandable because you are doing really difficult AS level subjects, but nonetheless if you are taking three, ABB should be a minimum. U of T wants a minimum of B, f you are taking 4, so for 3 AS it is going to be a lot higher. Although you are going to do an AS english, it wont count cause you were supposed to do 4 in the same year.

2) U of T states on their website that, "Students in the GCE british patented system must have 3Bs minimum at the A2 level. Problem here is that you aren't taking 3 A2s so that makes it really hard for you to get it.

But all hope is not lost, in your case I think you have 2 options:
1) work really really really hard resist physics and math and do chem A2, and then aim for BBB in A2. Then apply and hope for the best. If you don't get in, and you have good grades that are BBB or more, then take a gap year. If your grades aren't at least that good then just get into which ever uni accepts you.
2) there are other good universities in Canada. U of T and McGill will be difficult to get into. University of British columbia and Waterloo may just accept you, if your lucky, but you have good chances in McMaster, Alberta, Calgary, and Ottawa.

Another completely different option is that you take the SAT or ACT get a score of 1900+ in SAT or 28+ in ACT, and try for USA. The US has ALOT of good universities.

I hope this was of some help. Also re-sitting papers is allowed, and accepted. Personally i need to re-sit 3 papers.
Reply 2
Original post by MSZYM
Hi, I am Canadian by birth but currently live in Dubai. In Dubai i have done the GCE british system and i have done a lot of research on Canadian and American universities.

U of T is a really weird university, I know people in my school who got in just on the basis of their GCSE results. For example, i know two girls who got into U of T on the basis of their GCSE results as long as they maintained a B. Both of them got in for english. Although you may say that, "well that is english it doesn't count", so i have a friend in the year above who got i think 4-5 A* 4As and i think 1-2Bs. He then got in to U of T for actuarial science, and his AS grades were ABCD.

Personally, i have done Math, chemistry, physics, biology, and EPQ. In the order of the subjects mentioned, my grades were A, A, C, C, C. I too am disappointed with my grades. I do have a councillor in Canada, to whom i talk to by Skype, she said that my chance of getting into Toronto is possible, but I only have a chance of just above 40%. This accounts for my GCSE grades which were 4A* 5A 4B. Also I have done the SAT and have a score 2050, even with these i only really have a chance of about 40%. (by the way I want to do chemistry)

So there is a chance, but not a guarantee. In your case I am sorry to say it is near impossible to get in. I am sorry to say this, there are two main reasons to why I think this:
1) You only have only done 3AS so far, when most people have done 4. The think with doing three is understandable because you are doing really difficult AS level subjects, but nonetheless if you are taking three, ABB should be a minimum. U of T wants a minimum of B, f you are taking 4, so for 3 AS it is going to be a lot higher. Although you are going to do an AS english, it wont count cause you were supposed to do 4 in the same year.

2) U of T states on their website that, "Students in the GCE british patented system must have 3Bs minimum at the A2 level. Problem here is that you aren't taking 3 A2s so that makes it really hard for you to get it.

1) work really really really hard resist physics and math and do chem A2, and then aim for BBB in A2. Then apply and hope for the best. If you don't get in, and you have good grades that are BBB or more, then take a gap year. If your grades aren't at least that good then just get into which ever uni accepts you.
2) there are other good universities in Canada. U of T and McGill will be difficult to get into. University of British columbia and Waterloo may just accept you, if your lucky, but you have good chances in McMaster, Alberta, Calgary, and Ottawa.

Another completely different option is that you take the SAT or ACT get a score of 1900+ in SAT or 28+ in ACT, and try for USA. The US has ALOT of good universities.

I hope this was of some help. Also re-sitting papers is allowed, and accepted. Personally i need to re-sit 3 papers.

Hello there !
It's nice to hear that you live in Dubai . I am a permenant Canadian Resident that lives in AbuDhabi. Well, concerning taking the 4th AS subject in my last year. Who said it's supposed to be taking the 4AS subjects in the same year?
Original post by MSZYM

Who is this councillor, your chance of getting into UofT for chemistry is very high, at least based on the SAT and GCSE you have.
Reply 4
Original post by Okorange
Who is this councillor, your chance of getting into UofT for chemistry is very high, at least based on the SAT and GCSE you have.

Thank you for your kind words, but yeah i am kinda a pessimist, but i would say my chances aren't much better than 55%.
Reply 5
Original post by Lam97
Hello there !
It's nice to hear that you live in Dubai . I am a permanent Canadian Resident that lives in AbuDhabi. Well, concerning taking the 4th AS subject in my last year. Who said it's supposed to be taking the 4AS subjects in the same year?

Since i dont know what you are doing at UNI, look at these exerts from the U of T websites and see what each faculty requires:

Engineering:
Admission Requirements:

GCE

At least five different Ordinary Level subjects and three different Advanced Level subjects, including Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. Chemistry will be accepted at the AS Level but it is strongly recommended to be completed at the Advanced Level. Applicants who present Chemistry at the AS Level are required to present an alternate, 3rd Advanced Level subject. Applied Advanced Level subjects are not an ideal preparation for our programs.

General Paper is not acceptable.

All examinations must be conducted by an examination authority located in the UK or an equivalent authority elsewhere.

Computer science:

GCE

At least five different IGCSE/GCSE/Ordinary Level academic subjects and four different Advanced Subsidiary academic subjects OR three different Advanced Level/International Advanced Level academic subjects. Applied Advanced Level subjects are not an ideal preparation for our programs.

General Paper, General Studies,Critical Thinking, Thinking Skills, and Key Skills are not acceptable.

Prerequisites should be presented at Advanced/A2 or Advanced Subsidiary Level. Some programs may consider excellent IGCSE/GCSE/Ordinary Level results for fulfilling a prerequisite.

Business faculty:

GCE

At least five different IGCSE/GCSE/Ordinary Level academic subjects and four different Advanced Subsidiary academic subjects OR three different Advanced Level/International Advanced Level academic subjects. Applied Advanced Level subjects are not an ideal preparation for our programs.

General Paper, General Studies,Critical Thinking, Thinking Skills, and Key Skills are not acceptable.

Prerequisites should be presented at Advanced/A2 or Advanced Subsidiary Level. Some programs may consider excellent IGCSE/GCSE/Ordinary Level results for fulfilling a prerequisite.

All examinations must be conducted by an examination authority located in the UK or an equivalent authority elsewhere.

Chemistry/math/physics:

GCE

So my main point is that you NEED 3 A2 subjects.

Source:http://www.adm.utoronto.ca/admissions/
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
I am sorry to not get your point lol . I mean why not taking the 1st option to satisfy their requirements ? (4AS subjects ? )
I wanna do CS actually
Reply 7
Original post by Lam97
I am sorry to not get your point lol . I mean why not taking the 1st option to satisfy their requirements ? (4AS subjects ? )
I wanna do CS actually

you can try but no offence your grades aren't good enough. BBBB, is their requirement, as you have only done 3 in which you achieved disappointing grades it will be really difficult to get in. But none the less, i dont see why you cant apply, just apply anyways and see what happens.
Reply 8
can i enter u of t with a c in my english language igcse
am already in the university and am offering Bsc in information technology in the university of Accra institute of technology.
and i want to further it more to the university of Toronto.
Im actually from pakistan and want to apply in biomedical/life sciences in canada i have 2Bs 4As and 1A* in olevels and in as levels i have ABC in bio,chem,physics i just gave As maths in oct nov session .....what are my chances of getting into any universities in Ontario given that i will complete my A2 this year
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey guys I need help,
I want to apply to UofT but the problem is my school didn’t offer any other computer subjects other than AICT which I have completed and gotten an A
I’m currently finishing my last year of A levels
And these are the subjects I take
Math, physics and AICT
I have an A in maths at AS Level

Now U of T doesn’t accept applied subjects and that made me panic bc it’s difficult for me to take another subject
Is it possible for me to apply with SAT 1 grades + my ALevel and igcse grades ?
Reply 13
okay then how about faculty of medicine in Canada?I mean what do we need to get in ?Please someone help me.
Original post by Laylina
okay then how about faculty of medicine in Canada?I mean what do we need to get in ?Please someone help me.

Medicine is a second-entry programme. You will need to complete your undergraduate studies before you can apply for admission.
hey i want to apply to UBC and potentially other canadian uni’s but UBC is my main choice. At AS i got EEUC and A level CED and A in EPQ. Bad i know. Im retaking them knowing that i can do way better - If I get between AAB-BBB do you think I have a chance of being admitted ?

I’m also starting quite a few extra curriculars this year
Hey I want to apply to UBC 2019. My AS grades are BBE. The E is Math, which I'm resitting this October. However I no longer take Math as an A2 subject, I take General Studies instead. What are my chances of being accepted with General instead of Math? Help please :frown:
Reply 17
Hello , I want to enter McGill’s faculty of plant science 2019 and I am not sure how the competitiveness for this program is. Sooooo requirement for this course is BBB for ALevels and I got a BCc in Economics, biology and AS maths (going to take my A2 maths in Nov) and hopefully bump my maths to a B . Do you think McGill will accept me if I got a BBC or a BCC ? Do you recommend taking SAT to make it nicer ? I do have a lot of extracurricular and I heard McGill doesn’t really care and only cares for academics.
Reply 18
Hello, UBC came to my school and they said that they really depend on A level maths, and if you don't have that, AS is fine. But you need to have least a B in it
Original post by MSZYM
Since i dont know what you are doing at UNI, look at these exerts from the U of T websites and see what each faculty requires:

Engineering:
Admission Requirements:

GCE

At least five different Ordinary Level subjects and three different Advanced Level subjects, including Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. Chemistry will be accepted at the AS Level but it is strongly recommended to be completed at the Advanced Level. Applicants who present Chemistry at the AS Level are required to present an alternate, 3rd Advanced Level subject. Applied Advanced Level subjects are not an ideal preparation for our programs.

General Paper is not acceptable.

Computer science:

GCE

Business faculty:

GCE

Chemistry/math/physics:

GCE

So my main point is that you NEED 3 A2 subjects.

Source:http://www.adm.utoronto.ca/admissions/

I completed my IGCSE with 6A*'s 1A nd a B.
I am doing my AS in three sun Math Phy Chem as I want to study Chem Eng. Can i apply to U of T with my AS result if I get A*AA in AS?

Quick Reply

Latest