A2 History Coursework Watch

DKN96
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm currently doing A2 history coursework and the question is 'To what extent did popular rebellions pose a serious threat to the Tudor monarchy in the years 1485-1603?'

Has anyone done this coursework and can give me some advice?

Thanks

Edit: Has anyone done this or a similar essay that they can pm me?
smile:D
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Deepak96)
I'm currently doing A2 history coursework and the question is 'To what extent did popular rebellions pose a serious threat to the Tudor monarchy in the years 1485-1603?'

Thanks
I haven't done this coursework but I'm quite familiar with the period. I would probably start by stating your point of view and having a clear line of argument throughout the essay. I'd also try to create a more nuanced point of view; for example, you could argue that Henry VII was more threatened by rebellions than other Tudor rulers etc., but obviously that's up to you
HistoryGirly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would split it into each monarch (Edward separate into Somerset and Northumberland as Somerset had more serious rebellions), how threatened each were by rebellions and compare.
Comeback
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This will sound silly but:

First of all remember the key phrase is 'To what extent'. You HAVE to therefore maintain a sense of debate throughout the essay, sometimes people try and ignore the whole 'argument' thing until the conclusion.

Secondly, another massive key word is 'popular' rebellions. How do you distinguish popular from non popular (can you?). Is it that clear cut? Is popular at the time different to popular today (how we remember and view it?).

I don't do History, but I am doing A2 English Literature. I hope this helps
Phteven
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You could establish that they were all under threat, but then explore that it was for different reasons in each monarch's reign? For example the religious motivation of Pilgrimage of Grace in Henry's reign vs socio-economic motivation of Kett's in Edwards vs Mary's decision to marry Phillip in Wyatt's rebellion. What was different about those time periods that may have affected the motivations for the rebellions, and did those circumstances make them pose a more significant threat?

You could discuss whether or not religiously motivated rebellions like the PoG or Western rebellion were more serious than ones which had other motivations like Wyatt's/Kett's. Whatever you do, just try to make your conclusion more than a yes or no kind of thing!

EDIT: I wouldn't do it monarch by monarch like some people have suggested. Then there's a risk you'll go about it chronologically! Try and take a thematic approach like religion/socio-economic etc and you'll reach higher marks
DKN96
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
1485-1603 is over 100 years...
maariyah97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Deepak96)

Thanks

Edit: Has anyone done this or a similar essay that they can pm me?
who's pm'ing you fam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.29%
I used to but I don't now (18)
2.45%
No, but I want to start (275)
37.36%
No, I am unable to (177)
24.05%
No, I chose not to (205)
27.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise