wanna become an english teacher but am confused!!!!

Watch
noey123
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
hey guys!! i went to my college recently i told them the courses i wanted to do which is
English literature and language
physiology
sociology
and business studies
my college dont do English language they only do literature is this gonna effect me in becoming an English teacher in the future and my subjects okay?
sunnydespair
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
You say they do a lit and lang combined ? That will be more than sufficient - seriously no need to worry
noey123
Rep:
(Original post by sunnydespair)
You say they do a lit and lang combined ? That will be more than sufficient - seriously no need to worry
no they dont do it combined i mentioned i wanted to do them together but they said they only do English literature not English language so since i wouldn't be able to do English language i was wondering on whether it would effect me in the future of becoming and English teacher
sunnydespair
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I personally think that english literature is more essential than language, I very much doubt it will hold you back
noey123
Rep:
(Original post by sunnydespair)
I personally think that english literature is more essential than language, I very much doubt it will hold you back
oh okay thank you for the reply
JoshZ
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Wants to become an English teacher... Can't use capital letters & full stops.
Vousden
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JoshZ)
Have to agree here. Using proper prose should come naturally to anyone wanting to teach English.
tanyapotter
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Vousden)
Have to agree here. Using proper prose should come naturally to anyone wanting to teach English.
It's the internet; get over yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vousden
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tanyapotter)
It's the internet; get over yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kinda my point, doesn't matter where it is, proper English should just come naturally, regardless of the setting.
noey123
Rep:
(Original post by JoshZ)
am asking for a bit of help here and all you can do is bloody judge me!!! get over yourself mate its the bloody internet am sure your not that smart either so what are you trying to prove!!!!
Vousden
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by noey123)
am asking for a bit of help here and all you can do is bloody judge me!!! get over yourself mate its the bloody internet am sure your not that smart either so what are you trying to prove!!!!
*you're
noey123
Rep:
[QUOTE=Vousden;50169449]*you're[/QUOTE
thank you for correcting me you must be really smart !
JoshZ
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I am not trying to prove anything. I simply stated that you can't use capital letters and full stops. Also, that's pretty ironic. You claim that I have judged you, which I have not (I simply made an observation) and then you judge me by stating that you're "sure (I'm) not that smart". Enjoy cleaning dustbins when you're older mate.
MsSnape
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I only did English Language and became an English teacher. They will look at your GCSEs (English or English Lang is compulsory) and you need maths as well at GCSE.
Vousden
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
[QUOTE=noey123;50174269]
(Original post by Vousden)
*you're[/QUOTE
thank you for correcting me you must be really smart !
np
noey123
Rep:
[QUOTE=JoshZ;50174735]I am not trying to prove anything. I simply stated that you can't use capital letters and full stops. Also, that's pretty ironic. You claim that I have judged you, which I have not (I simply made an observation) and then you judge me by stating that you're "sure (I'm) not that smart". Enjoy cleaning dustbins when you're older mate.[/QUOTE
really now? you just go on like that by insulting me? really?
all i did was ask for a little bit of help concerning my future! i asked a simple question and all i needed was people to answer it that's all! i wasn't asking for anything more and you insult me by saying "enjoy cleaning the dustbins when your older mate". Are you serious? thank you anyway it was nice talking to you
noey123
Rep:
(Original post by MsSnape)
I only did English Language and became an English teacher. They will look at your GCSEs (English or English Lang is compulsory) and you need maths as well at GCSE.
yeah I have done my GCSE maths English lit and English lang and I all got a B in them but what about English literature? cant I take it for A levels instead of English lang? would that effect me in anyway?
tígertíger
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Personally I think that it's better for a future English teacher to recognise that different forms of English are acceptable depending on the situation. As long as you can differentiate between those situations and write formally where necessary, there's nothing to worry about. The OP's writing on here is fine. But that's by-the-by.

You should be absolutely fine with English literature. Most degrees won't go into specifics with A Level courses and will just ask for relevant subjects, which yours are.

Good luck!
MsSnape
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
yeah I have done my GCSE maths English lit and English lang and I all got a B in them but what about English literature? cant I take it for A levels instead of English lang? would that effect me in anyway?
Hi, sorry if my post was unclear. What I was trying to say was I don't have literature but have language at A Level and that was fine, so I can't see it being a problem the other way round. In fact I haven't studied literature since my own GCSE (not because I was rubbish I just prefer science and Eng Lang) and can teach it fine, I just have to prep more. Hope that helps
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Combined is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads