Geography or Physics - Which one should I pick?

Watch
tnfr123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
so I took a gap year last year, and will be starting AS in 2 days. I have decided upon Maths (edexcel), Chemistry (OCR) Biology (OCR) and now the fourth subject is between Geography(AQA) and Physics(AQA).
Honestly, I only chose maths because I need it was the only viable option within that block. I do not intend on continuing it for A2.
I gained two A's in GCSE for both geo and physics.
i honestly enjoyed Geo much more than physics.
I just need some advice and information as to how much work Geo requires. Is it considered an 'easier' A-Level?
My aim is to achieve an A overall at the end of A2. So could you guys please recommend which one I should go for, I am slightly leaning towards Geo tbh.

Thanks !
tnfr123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
bumpppp
fightingduck
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Both Physics and Geography are respected subjects, and I took both at AS.
I can say from experience that Geography is 100x easier than Physics, in my opinion.

I went from an A in GCSE Physics to an E in AS, while I had not even studied GCSE Geography and I received a B grade with 75% UMS.

I recommend Geography, as you enjoyed it more than Physics, and you will be more likely to achieve a higher grade in a subject you enjoy.
oxoxsara
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would say Geography (or maybe I'm just being biased because I took geography A-level not Physics).
I did Edexcel GCE Geography and from my personal experience, I didn't find it that easy when comparing it to my other A-levels such as Human Biology but it was much more interesting in terms of modules. I can't speak for AQA, though I'm sure it's along similar lines.
I ended up not doing too well in AS and got a C, but with more effort in A2, I got an A overall.
Go with what you feel more comfortable doing then you'll surely excel in it with hard work. Good luck!
denteddental
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Physics. That's such a no-brainer.
Nymthae
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You've not even given a reason why you're thinking about physics. If you have no intention of carrying on maths then physics itself has limited use to you later. Just go for which you enjoy/will do well in, which appears to be geography. Neither of them are bad subject choices.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tnfr123)
so I took a gap year last year, and will be starting AS in 2 days. I have decided upon Maths (edexcel), Chemistry (OCR) Biology (OCR) and now the fourth subject is between Geography(AQA) and Physics(AQA).
Honestly, I only chose maths because I need it was the only viable option within that block. I do not intend on continuing it for A2.
I gained two A's in GCSE for both geo and physics.
i honestly enjoyed Geo much more than physics.
I just need some advice and information as to how much work Geo requires. Is it considered an 'easier' A-Level?
My aim is to achieve an A overall at the end of A2. So could you guys please recommend which one I should go for, I am slightly leaning towards Geo tbh.

Thanks !
What are you thinking of studying at uni?
I cant comment on physics- but i did gepgraphy A-level and loved it. I found it so interesting. I found some topics where similar to GCSE and some where different, but everything was much more in depth.
adinghy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did Geography Edexcel for AS this year, I also did it for GCSE with OCR option B.

AS geography is a lot harder than GCSE, it requires a lot of general knowledge and is knowledge of politics and social issues is also super helpful. Although I intend to study medicine, I am also really interested in social changes and sociology in terms of development and economics which is why I took it.
AS Geography is not easy at all, but the I think modules are really engaging and interesting, if you are willing to work hard for an A, it is possible.

Honestly, AS Maths isn't too terrible, if you are good at it, you can learn so much by yourself and get ahead. A lot of people in my year this year failed Physics despite gaining A's at GCSE. I think physics is so complicated that if you don't like it, it is unlikely you will do very well.

Finally, seriously choose something you like because you will feel like you can make it through the workload. I spent half my year moaning about Chemistry and avoiding work wherever I could and if I could drop it, I would.

Good luck!
_Ddraig_
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I took both at AS level, i then dropped Geography at A2.

I enjoy Geography however for me it got rather tedious and boring as the year went on. We seemed to be doing GCSE stuff but in more detail and i found that incredibly boring.

AS Physics on the other hand i found much more interesting and challenging. There were new topics, new concepts, but it was definitely a lot harder than doing Geography. Ignore what other people tell you about the disadvantage of not taking Maths to A2. As long as you can manipulate equations then you will be more than capable to do A Level Physics.

Overall, if you want to be challenged then i would choose Physics. If you enjoy Geography then choose what you enjoy, however don't be surprised if you find the AS content does not live up to your expectations.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Geography is boring but an easy A.

Physics is more interesting but not everyone finds it too easy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (31)
36.9%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (9)
10.71%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (4)
4.76%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (23)
27.38%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (11)
13.1%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (6)
7.14%

Watched Threads