What is special about the gut structure of the small intestine? Watch

iamabbie97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I know about the highly folded mucosa that's arranged in villi, although I'm unsure whether this is the gut structure? Or whether it's something else?

Any help is greatly appreciated! If you could give the basic idea of it, and then I can investigate into the details myself I just was unsure whether what I knew was even related to the gut structure!

Thank you in advance!
Mr.Econometrics
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iamabbie97)
I know about the highly folded mucosa that's arranged in villi, although I'm unsure whether this is the gut structure? Or whether it's something else?

Any help is greatly appreciated! If you could give the basic idea of it, and then I can investigate into the details myself I just was unsure whether what I knew was even related to the gut structure!

Thank you in advance!
I believe it is lined with microvilli, a lining along the small intestine which provides a large surface area for absorption of nutrients to occur across. I did do this a while ago, though.. Ex-Biology student.
Solarburst
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
bare sa/vol ratio fam
Eloades11
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Thank you in advance!
You should be asking yourself how the intestines are structured specifically to aid in their function. One role of the intestines is for nutrient absorption, and it has various adaptions to help perform this. As Mattmejevie said, it has a high surface area/volume ratio allowing maximum absorption. There are also villi to aid in processing and movement of nutrients, as well as increasing SA/V ratio. The intestines do contain a mucosal layer, but this doesn't function as much in nutrient absorption, rather it serves to keep pathogens out.
Lil08
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's different parts of the intestine:

1. Duodenum
2. Jegunum
3. Ileum

In terms of histology, duodenum is the only part of the small intestine that has submucosal mucus gland (Brunner gland). It otherwise it follows a typical pattern of a small bowel or a gastrointestinal organ of any type. You have quite a delicate finger like papillary array of mucosal villi, lots of loose connective tissue cells & inflammatory cells between those columnar glandular epithelium. You can also see both absorption cells, mucus cells and goblet cells. There's also a lamina propria (loose connective tissues). A thin rim of muscularis mucosa, this is the submucosa, rich in mucus glands as well as some loose connective tissue & blood vessels.

Duodenum:

Name:  gi_-_duodenum1337308898263.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  55.7 KB

Jejunum:

Name:  gi_-_jejunum1337308971550.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  80.9 KB

Ileum:

Name:  ileum.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  67.5 KB
Dynamo123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Thank you in advance!
Like Eloades said, the main thing is to provide a high surface area to volume ration for absorption of nutrients.
One of the specific features of cells lining the small intestine is that they have a brush border of small bristle-like structures called microvilli (you might have studied them). These microvilli greatly increase the SA for absorption of nutrients. Furthermore, these cells have a portion facing the gut lumen: this has specific protein transporters and enzyme systems that help to uptake and digest the food stuffs that are eaten.

If you could specify what exactly you need to know about the gut, that would be better
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (35)
25.18%
No (104)
74.82%

Watched Threads