title
Moved to the geography section for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
louieee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
first year is fine, it's all quite logical and with regards to the processes once you understand it it's easy to remember. Case studies are somewhat irritating though. I've just started A2 and already the exam appears to be structured very differently and I'm not sure if it really matches my abilities, though I did get an A for last year without much revision.
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i didn't do the AQA board specifically but in general A level geography requires you to know more general geographical knowledge than you did at gcse. AS year is more similar to gcse in my opinion. you get given most case studies from books and the exam contains short answer questions as well as longer essay style questions. in A2 you are encouraged to be more independent. It may have just been the way my teachers liked to teach but we hardly ever used a textbook in that year. most of our case studies came from videos, recent events in the news, magazine articles etc. and i like that cause it made it so much more interesting. if you have a genuine interest in geography you will enjoy researching your own case studies instead of replying on the ones thousands of students use in textbooks. A2 exams will consist of practically all essay style questions. I did OCR and the essay questions were 30 marks each and we had to answer 1 out of a possible 6 questions for each section of the paper so 2 questions in total. i think for AQA the essays are 40 marks long.
Steph_EmmaH
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've just finished Geography A-Level with AQA and got an A* (by the skin of my teeth!).

I found geography possibly my most straight-forward A-Level, as I found a lot of it is memorising processes/ case studies and then recalling them in the exams. The sheer amount of information to memorise was difficult at A2, and I know some people really struggled with learning all the case studies.

At AS it was pretty similar to GCSE, just in more detail, but again if the books are learned and understood (very important at A-Level in contrast to GCSE where you could just recite facts) it's not too bad. I relied a lot on the CGP books, and supplemented it with a bit of extra stuff from class (not too much though!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (676)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads