This discussion is closed.
hl08
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Does anyone here know if you can apply for medicine undergraduate when you finish an ODP course? I'm doing Chem bio and maths in a-level at the moment i really wanna do medicine but i don't wanna apply straight to medicine, i wanna make sure that i have enough experiences and strong qualifications. I'm planing to do a medical volunteering abroad in july for a month. And also apply for odp for september 2015. I also have a part time job in carehome at the moment. PS i wanna include at least 1 of the top 5 unis when by the time i'm applying for medicine.
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why do you want to do an ODP course in particular? There are other ways of getting work experience; the qualification you gain won't be part of the qualifications considered by med schools for entry; you will have to pay for it; and they are likely to ask you why, if you have done an ODP course, don't you want to work as an ODP.
hl08
Rep:
?
(Original post by theresheglows)
Why do you want to do an ODP course in particular? There are other ways of getting work experience; the qualification you gain won't be part of the qualifications considered by med schools for entry; you will have to pay for it; and they are likely to ask you why, if you have done an ODP course, don't you want to work as an ODP.
Hey thank you for the reply. I wanna apply for that one because i thought it'll help me to make sure that i'd definitely get into medical school. So, it's not a good idea then is it? Suggestion please. Thank you. I'm so confused right now and i need to submit my application sooner.
russellwallace
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hl08)
Hey thank you for the reply. I wanna apply for that one because i thought it'll help me to make sure that i'd definitely get into medical school. So, it's not a good idea then is it? Suggestion please. Thank you. I'm so confused right now and i need to submit my application sooner.
GCSE profile. AS levels. A level predicted grades. UKCAT and/or BMAT. Voluntary work and/or work experience. Personal statement. Those are what will get you an interview. That's how you get into med school. The interview. Also what do you mean "Top 5 unis"? For medicine that has very little meaning. An OPD qualification is an odd thing to even consider.
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hl08)
Unfortunately there is nothing that can make sure that you definitely get in. Getting good work experience and reflecting on what you learned from it in your PS will definitely help on top of good grades and UKCAT.

I just don't particularly think that an OPD course will give you much actual and relevant experience to reflect on in your PS, especially considering the amount of time it will take up studying etc. It's better to do something that gives you lots of patient contact and shows your commitment. I'm not saying you won't get in after doing it, but it may not be the best way of getting work experience, and it won't guarantee you an offer.

As I said before, it may look a bit odd to be applying for medicine while training for another job. It also may not look good to have done a course that is NHS funded (as ODP courses are) without the intention to actually practice as one.

Also as far as I'm aware most OPD courses require you to already have experience of working in a healthcare setting, and take 2 years to complete, so I'm not sure you could do it in a gap year.

You could still apply in a gap year having done more work experience to strengthen your application, you could try getting work as a healthcare assistant or get a placement volunteering on a hospital ward.
hl08
Rep:
?
(Original post by russellwallace)
GCSE profile. AS levels. A level predicted grades. UKCAT and/or BMAT. Voluntary work and/or work experience. Personal statement. Those are what will get you an interview. That's how you get into med school. The interview. Also what do you mean "Top 5 unis"? For medicine that has very little meaning. An OPD qualification is an odd thing to even consider.
Yes, i know about those things that you've mentioned above. And thank you for the reply. Now it gives me an idea of what i should do. Ok then i'm not gonna apply for ODP, but i'm taking a gap year (to gain more experience and knowledge in medical field) then apply for medicine. And what i meant about the 'top 5 unis' is as in the queens mary, aberdeen, edinburgh, cambridge. At least apply in one of those then for the other three choices i'm gonna apply in the bottom universities one (for medicine).
hl08
Rep:
?
(Original post by theresheglows)
Unfortunately there is nothing that can make sure that you definitely get in. Getting good work experience and reflecting on what you learned from it in your PS will definitely help on top of good grades and UKCAT.

I just don't particularly think that an OPD course will give you much actual and relevant experience to reflect on in your PS, especially considering the amount of time it will take up studying etc. It's better to do something that gives you lots of patient contact and shows your commitment. I'm not saying you won't get in after doing it, but it may not be the best way of getting work experience, and it won't guarantee you an offer.

As I said before, it may look a bit odd to be applying for medicine while training for another job. It also may not look good to have done a course that is NHS funded (as ODP courses are) without the intention to actually practice as one.

Also as far as I'm aware most OPD courses require you to already have experience of working in a healthcare setting, and take 2 years to complete, so I'm not sure you could do it in a gap year.

You could still apply in a gap year having done more work experience to strengthen your application, you could try getting work as a healthcare assistant or get a placement volunteering on a hospital ward.
Hey thank you so much it helped a lot. Yes, now i'm thinking of doing a gap year and do volunteering during my gap year and apply as a health care assistant in the hospital cause at the moment i'm working in a care home (as a part time job). Hopefully i will gain more confidence, experience and knowledge during my gap year. Wish me luck!
russellwallace
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hl08)
Hey thank you so much it helped a lot. Yes, now i'm thinking of doing a gap year and do volunteering during my gap year and apply as a health care assistant in the hospital cause at the moment i'm working in a care home (as a part time job). Hopefully i will gain more confidence, experience and knowledge during my gap year. Wish me luck!
Better option. At the end of the day the selectors are looking for an idea that you know "what a doctor does" and what your experience has taught you about that and about yourself. They are not looking for a tick list. They are looking for your thinking and reflections and insight that you know what you are doing and why.
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hl08)
Is there a particular reason you don't want to apply this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
hl08
Rep:
?
(Original post by ForestCat)
Is there a particular reason you don't want to apply this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm scared of interviews (i think i'm not ready for that) and also i wanna make sure that i have enough to put in my personal statement. I wanna gain more experiences and knowledge first. Hearing from people who got all A*s and still got rejected scares me.
Humayd_V
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How’s your life going so far?
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Humayd_V)
How’s your life going so far?
This thread is 7 years old and the OP has not been on TSR for 5 years becausethenight
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thread is now closed
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.9%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.61%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.17%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
8.72%

Watched Threads