The Student Room Group

A level maths transformations of graphs question

Hi, I have a maths question.

Suppose I want to transform the function cos(x) into cos(4x-60).
I'm gonna have to translate and stretch it, the order that I do it in makes a difference because the magnitude of the translation will be different.

So I could either translate it first (60,0) then stretch by scale factor 1/4 in x direction OR stretch it first by scale factor 1/4 in x direction but if I do it in this order then the following translation will be (15,0). (I know that these are the correct answers from an AQA a level past paper mark scheme).

I don't understand why the order matters and why the translation becomes (15,0) since i'm aiming for cos(4x-60). Please explain this in depth as I really want to understand this. I've drawn the graphs of cos(4x-60) and cos(4x) online and the only difference was that they were 60 degrees out of phase so it seems like the next step after the stretch would still be a translation (60,0).
Reply 1
Original post by Room4student
Hi, I have a maths question.

Suppose I want to transform the function cos(x) into cos(4x-60).
I'm gonna have to translate and stretch it, the order that I do it in makes a difference because the magnitude of the translation will be different.

So I could either translate it first (60,0) then stretch by scale factor 1/4 in x direction OR stretch it first by scale factor 1/4 in x direction but if I do it in this order then the following translation will be (15,0). (I know that these are the correct answers from an AQA a level past paper mark scheme).

I don't understand why the order matters and why the translation becomes (15,0) since i'm aiming for cos(4x-60). Please explain this in depth as I really want to understand this. I've drawn the graphs of cos(4x-60) and cos(4x) online and the only difference was that they were 60 degrees out of phase so it seems like the next step after the stretch would still be a translation (60,0).

So the two transformations we're interested in are

f(x)f(x+a)f(x)\rightarrow f(x+a) which is a translation of a units in the horizontal direction.

and

f(x)f(ax)f(x)\rightarrow f(ax) which is a stretch scale factor 1/a in the horizontal direction.

Starting with f(x)=cos(x)f(x)=cos(x) and applying a stretch scale factor 1/4 will give

f(4x)=cos4xf(4x) = \cos 4x

Call this new function g(x) so g(x)=cos4xg(x) = \cos 4x

Then applying a translation 15 units to the right will give

g(x15)=cos4(x15)=cos(4x60)g(x-15) = \cos 4(x-15) = \cos (4x-60)

I'll let you think about why doing it the other way around requires a translation of 60 instead of 15.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by notnek
So the two transformations we're interested in are

f(x)f(x+a)f(x)\rightarrow f(x+a) which is a translation of a units in the horizontal direction.

and

f(x)f(ax)f(x)\rightarrow f(ax) which is a stretch scale factor 1/a in the horizontal direction.

Starting with f(x)=cos(x)f(x)=cos(x) and applying a stretch scale factor 1/4 will give

f(4x)=cos4xf(4x) = \cos 4x

Call this new function g(x) so g(x)=cos4xg(x) = \cos 4x

Then applying a translation 15 units to the right will give

g(x15)=cos4(x15)=cos(4x60)g(x-15) = \cos 4(x-15) = \cos (4x-60)

I'll let you think about why doing it the other way around requires a translation of 60 instead of 15.

Thank you so much, very simple and clean explanation!

Quick Reply

Latest