The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nathan_Ley3
I understand what you're saying here. A few chinese people in my maths class just click their fingers when they want the teachers attention. Although this may just be an isolated case.

:eek: I'd just flat-out refuse to help them as a teacher in those circumastances!
calcium878
:eek: I'd just flat-out refuse to help them as a teacher in those circumastances!

Hmm she could do that, but i think it's in her nature to be kind to everyone. She probably dosent want to be accused of racism or anything like that!
Reply 62
So far they haven't allowed us any home study, so we're expected to be in school all day and register twice plus a weekly assembly. Also the lessons are childish, in a year 13 law lesson today we had to do posters with felt tip pens!
Reply 63
Lykabelle
The lack of space. There are over 700 year 12 and year 13 students- the sixth form is increasingly getting bigger now. These days during break and lunchtimes we're all squashed in the common room.

Yeah... so big it's illegal. There should only be 10 - 20 per year!
Reply 64
Nathan_Ley3
I understand what you're saying here. A few chinese people in my maths class just click their fingers when they want the teachers attention. Although this may just be an isolated case.

That's kind of rude. I don't think race has anything do to with rudeness.
Reply 65
My form tutor who I also happen to have for Business Studies and Politics who I can't stand. :/ But I LOVE both those subjects so I can cope...
Worst thing? We were told well before we joined 6th form that it was much better than the lower school, and there was so much more freedom etc., however, if anything, there are even more pointless rules that are way too harshly enforced.
For example, our dress code states "office/business attire", but when people wear somethings which are perfectly acceptable (like a skirt ending just above the knees, or a plain headscarf etc) they get in trouble.

Latest pointless ridiculous rule from our illustrious leader </sarcasm>, Anyone who has been granted home study MUST be off the school premises during those homestudy periods, unless they alert the school a full 24 hours in advance.
Reply 67
Revd. Mike
Anyone who has been granted home study MUST be off the school premises during those homestudy periods, unless they alert the school a full 24 hours in advance.

Oh my! Heaven forbid anyone wants to actually go into school! :eek3:
Well, it's pretty annoying for people like me, who guage whether I want to go home early by hw much work I'm set suring the day. For example, I have all of friday afternoon as homestudy, but earlier I was set a fair amount of research homework and so I decided to break the rule and stay there. If my head of year had found me in the study room, he would have revoked my homestudy privelages and sent me home.

It's also really impractical for some people who live further from the school and don't drive yet, they're not allowed homestudy because they can't ensure they'll be able to leave the premises.
- someone was smoking in our common room/cyber cafe and 175 sixth formers - including myself - got took into the hall and absolutely screamed at, because 'we' had wasted the time of the other pupils in the lower school by making them go on the yard because of the fire bell from the smoke. The room has now been shut down until the person confesses, was funny because the site managers were putting out the chairs and the principal, who is a lot smaller than most of us sixth formers said, 'I don't know why you're putting the chairs out, they can all stand.' And then screamed.

- only having half an hour for dinner, meaning I've not got a huge amount of time to get home, do what I'm doing and get back. I don't like school dinners, much prefer my own. Also only having 15 minutes for break, it goes dead quick but then the lessons are only 50 minutes long so it's a bit of a bonus instead of 60 minutes. Even though 10 minutes isn't a huge amount of time.

- having to do 'enrichment' activities. Also not being told about this when we signed up for the sixth form, otherwise I'd have probably ended up not going.
All the chavs that have come back after being kicked out of college in the first week and thier crap music
Reply 71
its too small!
Reply 72
me
~ems~
oh and most our teachers get arrested yet they worry about US ruining the school reputation with things like, shocker, boys having long hair.

most of your teachers get arresteD?
Hmmm...the size of the school (3,000 students), some of the other students, the class sizes (though, now they are about 25-30, so its better)....I also don't like its obsession with get its maximum funding from the gov't and saving a buck whenever possible even if its not in the best interest of the students...

But I do love that I don't have to leave for school until now (9 am) because I have 2 free periods (which I make up later in the day so the school gets its funding...).
Reply 75
The supervised Private Study lessons where you have to be silent :frown:. I don't get any work done despite the silence - I can never concentrate on doing homework in school unless it's due in the next period :P
all the chavvy/grunger kids... seriously why cant people form freindship groups based on things other than music taste?
Pro Gryffindor Seeker
Hmmm...the size of the school (3,000 students), some of the other students, the class sizes (though, now they are about 25-30, so its better)....I also don't like its obsession with get its maximum funding from the gov't and saving a buck whenever possible even if its not in the best interest of the students...

But I do love that I don't have to leave for school until now (9 am) because I have 2 free periods (which I make up later in the day so the school gets its funding...).

25-30 in an A level class?! That's huge! We have an average of 10, and a maximum of about 18. Last year 27 signed up to psychology, and the teacher constantly complained that it was too many in the class, this year it's gone down to about 12 and they say it's perfect, and I only have about 4/5 people in my chem class.
Yeah, we're not allowed a kettle or microwave because of "health and safety" :rolleyes:

I think I'm just going to bring a kettle in and keep it in my locker hehe.
The new two week timetable
The tiny common room
no hot drinks
no microwave
no decorations
tiny library
4 networked computers --- 200 students
6 non networked laptops - 5 don't work
the lazy arsed people who just come to do one alevel or one gcse retake and spend the rest of their free periods in the common room doing nothing.
vertical tutoring system :|

The fact I have to be in form every day 2:45 - 3:10 even when I finish at 11am

Latest

Trending

Trending