The Student Room Group

Unis for investment banking.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
This forum is getting better and better. Newcastle as a feeder into investment banking might actually hold some truth, worth a look.
does it really matter what uni you go to if you want to get into IB/consulting?
Have this same question?!
Original post by butterflyy
does it really matter what uni you go to if you want to get into IB/consulting?

Yes, to an extent. There are 6 universities (Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE and Warwick) that get the most attention because they have the highest concentration of ideal candidates. Though, if you go to a solid "semi-target" aka a decent top-20 school and prove your worth(via ECs, work experience etc.) you'll be fine.
Original post by Princepieman
Yes, to an extent. There are 6 universities (Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE and Warwick) that get the most attention because they have the highest concentration of ideal candidates. Though, if you go to a solid "semi-target" aka a decent top-20 school and prove your worth(via ECs, work experience etc.) you'll be fine.

Would Reading be a semi-target?
Original post by butterflyy
Would Reading be a semi-target?

Not really, semi-targets are more the likes of: Edinburgh, Bristol, Durham, Manchester, Nottingham etc..

That is not to say that a Reading student with the requisite grades and experience won't get an interview - they certainly can. They'll just have to prove themselves more to get in.
So if a reading student did a masters at ucl/kcl/lse etc ..They would have a sufficient chance & if they gained a first at reading?!
Original post by lozasaurus99
So if a reading student did a masters at ucl/kcl/lse etc ..They would have a sufficient chance & if they gained a first at reading?!

Yes. A Uni of Reading CV is likely to end up in the bin.

many banks do selective recruiting - that is, if you're not a target, your CV goes into the bin.

A friend of mine in tech tried to get her bf into her program. HR said no, his university (Huddersfield or something) wasn't target.
Original post by sadhukar
Yes. A Uni of Reading CV is likely to end up in the bin.

many banks do selective recruiting - that is, if you're not a target, your CV goes into the bin.

A friend of mine in tech tried to get her bf into her program. HR said no, his university (Huddersfield or something) wasn't target.

I know a guy who went Leicester to do Business Management and now deals with valuations at Goldman Sachs. Leicester is not a Russell group!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lozasaurus99
I know a guy who went Leicester to do Business Management and now deals with valuations at Goldman Sachs. Leicester is not a Russell group!

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Deals with valuations" - so he supports them?
What about KCL? They've opened up a new msc course for banking and finance and they have a pretty solid global rep. Would places like Bristol, St Andrews be better?
Original post by Blelow88
What about KCL? They've opened up a new msc course for banking and finance and they have a pretty solid global rep. Would places like Bristol, St Andrews be better?

Bristol, yes. St Andrews, no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bristol, yes. St Andrews, no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you be able to elaborate a little more on why? I have offers from Bristol, Lancaster, Cass, Kings and St Andrews. I'm struggling to decide on which one to pick. But was under the impression St Andrews would be almost best cause in IBD its all about prestige no?
Would you be able to elaborate a little more on why? I have offers from Bristol, Lancaster, Cass, Kings and St Andrews. I'm struggling to decide on which one to pick. But was under the impression St Andrews would be almost best cause in IBD its all about prestige no?

https://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/gb/undergraduate-investment-banking

For banking, Bristol > KCL > rest

Not sure exact reasons why, but despite its place in league tables St A is not highly regarded by the banks
(edited 8 years ago)

Based on analysing the spring week, summer analyst and analyst classes my friends have been in over the past 3-ish years this is the conclusion I've come to:

Tier 1 (target): Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick

Tier 2.1 (strong semi-target; the universities which tend to send the most into FO banking amongst the semi-targets): Nottingham, Bristol, Durham, Bath and Cass

Tier 2.2 (regular semi-targets): Manchester, Birmingham, KCL, Edinburgh and St Andrews

Tier 3 (non-targets that pop up often): Sheffield, Surrey, Loughborough, York and Leeds

Then the rest

Posted from TSR Mobile

imo cass (better than kcl) and kings (more fun and enjoyable than cass) would be most ideal as you won't have to travel for interviews and asessment centres but i'd prob choose bristol as i would recommend going away for uni - you become more independent

imo uni helps but doesnt matter as much as everyone thinks, I know someone who got 5 sw offers and another person who got 2 spring week offers and both of the people were FO and were both from a non-target
(edited 8 years ago)
Based on analysing the spring week, summer analyst and analyst classes my friends have been in over the past 3-ish years this is the conclusion I've come to:

Tier 1 (target): Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick

Tier 2.1 (strong semi-target; the universities which tend to send the most into FO banking amongst the semi-targets): Nottingham, Bristol, Durham, Bath and Cass

Tier 2.2 (regular semi-targets): Manchester, Birmingham, KCL, Edinburgh and St Andrews

Tier 3 (non-targets that pop up often): Sheffield, Surrey, Loughborough, York and Leeds

Then the rest

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow cheers for the quick replies!

I thought I'd also mention the courses I've applied to are for masters, not undergrad. If that makes a difference?
Reply 37
I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think it does make a difference. If it's a Master's then I would take Cass tbh. They are supposedly a lot better for Master's than undergraduate degrees. In my opinion it's better than Bristol, KCL or St. Andrews on Master's level. Also you're going to be in London, which means you have better opportunities for networking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending