Maltwalton
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have to write a 1000 word essay for history about any historical figure and why they were important. I am unsure who to write it about so am looking for inspiration, so, who are your favourite historical figures and why?

Also, if anyone has any general essay tips that would be great

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maltwalton
Rep:
?
Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lokiofasgard
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Richard III because his body was found in a car park in Leicester.

Also because in my opinion I feel that not only was he wrongly blamed for the deaths of the princes in the tower, he was then ostracized, some what unfairly, by the Tudors. He was also the last English King to die in battle.

(Original post by Maltwalton)
Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
Christop
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is there an area of history you're particularly interested in?
Maltwalton
Rep:
?
(Original post by Christop)
Is there an area of history you're particularly interested in?
Well at GCSE I did medicine through time, so that's obviously very broad, the American west which was really interesting and we also did a controlled assessment on Irish history (about 1910s to present) I am open to exploring new areas, but in particular Ancient Rome, Ireland and America. I enjoy learning about wars but also civilisations

Posted from TSR Mobile
Christop
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
x
You could do it about Hernan Cortes or Francisco Pizzaro, who conquered Mexico and Peru for the Spanish, or Julius Caesar/Augustus, who expanded the Roman Republic and later turned it into an empire, or William the Conqueror, who changed England significantly and whose Normans ended up invading Ireland. There are lots of others you could do who aren't directly related to the topics you mentioned, such as Napoleon.
Maltwalton
Rep:
?
You could do it about Hernan Cortes or Francisco Pizzaro, who conquered Mexico and Peru for the Spanish, or Julius Caesar/Augustus, who expanded the Roman Republic and later turned it into an empire, or William the Conqueror, who changed England significantly and whose Normans ended up invading Ireland. There are lots of others you could do who aren't directly related to the topics you mentioned, such as Napoleon.
Thanks for the suggestions! I was also thinking Hannibal but I'm not sure if he was actually that significant, so I'm unsure as to whether he would be suitable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Christop
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
x
I thought of Hannibal as well, and didn't mention him for the same reason. You could probably argue that his failure allowed the Romans to dominate the Mediterranean and so become as powerful as they did, and that his successes meant that Rome was much less willing afterwards to put up with potential threats, but it might be hard to write 1000 words about it.
Maltwalton
Rep:
?
I thought of Hannibal as well, and didn't mention him for the same reason. You could probably argue that his failure allowed the Romans to dominate the Mediterranean and so become as powerful as they did, and that his successes meant that Rome was much less willing afterwards to put up with potential threats, but it might be hard to write 1000 words about it.
Thanks for your help, in the end I went with Scipio Africanus, I really wanted to do Hannibal but couldn't write enough about him, so Scipio was the next best thing I suppose

Posted from TSR Mobile
neal95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have to write a 1000 word essay for history about any historical figure and why they were important. I am unsure who to write it about so am looking for inspiration, so, who are your favourite historical figures and why?

Also, if anyone has any general essay tips that would be great

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello Matt Walton, you could look at a figure of the crusades for example Richard, Godfrey or bouillon? For essay tips I would (in exam questions) make an argument which is clear on your part but then do include in other paragraphs what people with the opposite view would believe. This got me 105/120 on unit 3 aqa so if it worked for me hopefully it will work for you to!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.73%
I'm not sure (16)
3.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (151)
33.71%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.79%
I'm not a current university student (207)
46.21%

Watched Threads