Note-taking in Lessons and Organisation of Notes

Watch
Toy Soldiers
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi all!

I was wondering if you could help me out by giving me some note-taking advice for my A-Levels.

I'm doing Computing, Business Studies and Psychology.

Computing

• I type notes on a school computer (obviously) and I save them on my local drive.
  • I struggle with doing graphs/diagrams on a computer, so I have to draw them, so this goes in my book.

Business Studies

• I write on sheets of paper and I put them in a folder.
  • I then type them up on my computer when I get home (when I'm bothered to do so)
  • Hand-outs stay in the folder.

Psychology
  • Same as business studies.

My problem is that during my Business Studies and Psychology lessons, I don't have enough time to write everything down, from a powerpoint for example. What can I do to shorten my words or write faster (my handwriting is not great so I don't think writing faster isn't going to help). I also have problems not being able to read key words that I wrote on the paper, so this gets incredibly frustrating when typing it up.

When organising my work, I have them stored in folders for each subject, but I do struggle to keep them organised because some of them are half-finished etc. Are there any websites that you know of that can help organisation of work?

Any advice on note-taking and organising the notes afterwards would be greatly appreciated.
Nicolalmh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I personally don't start A levels until Monday but I've been looking up tips online so I'm prepared. Here's a few ideas I've found or learnt from GCSE:

If you're struggling to take notes from powerpoints, ask your teachers to email the powerpoint to you after the lessons or put it on the college drives (or whatever you have to access files). I really doubt they'd mind and you can use it to improve your notes.

Ignore pointless words and use abbreviations for common words (whatever is memorable).

Highlight keywords and check you spell them correctly. These are the important bits that you can always google later.

If you're struggling to write quickly, invest in a good pen. My English teacher suggested this as for the GCSE language exam you needed to write **** loads to get a good grade (everyone in my class was aiming for A/A*s). Don't use biros. Use a fountain pen or other pen with a smooth tip.

I haven't tried it out but the Cornell note-taking method http://lifehacker.com/202418/geek-to...warenotetaking is recommended for Uni/College students often. Have a read through this and a look around as it seems to be the most recommended method.

Use Microsoft's OneNote to take notes. It makes it easy to find particular notes and can be used on tablets/phones.

As for organising physical notes, use coloured paper to separate sections and finish all notes after class to make revising easier.

I hope this helps, good luck!
Pokémontrainer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Toy Soldiers)
Hi all!

I was wondering if you could help me out by giving me some note-taking advice for my A-Levels.

I'm doing Computing, Business Studies and Psychology.

Computing

• I type notes on a school computer (obviously) and I save them on my local drive.
  • I struggle with doing graphs/diagrams on a computer, so I have to draw them, so this goes in my book.

Business Studies

• I write on sheets of paper and I put them in a folder.
  • I then type them up on my computer when I get home (when I'm bothered to do so)
  • Hand-outs stay in the folder.

Psychology
  • Same as business studies.

My problem is that during my Business Studies and Psychology lessons, I don't have enough time to write everything down, from a powerpoint for example. What can I do to shorten my words or write faster (my handwriting is not great so I don't think writing faster isn't going to help). I also have problems not being able to read key words that I wrote on the paper, so this gets incredibly frustrating when typing it up.

When organising my work, I have them stored in folders for each subject, but I do struggle to keep them organised because some of them are half-finished etc. Are there any websites that you know of that can help organisation of work?

Any advice on note-taking and organising the notes afterwards would be greatly appreciated.
When you have to take notes from powerpoints, could you possibly skim the paragraphs and write down the most important points? If not, maybe inform the teacher out of class that you are having difficulties so they could perhaps spend longer on each slide or give you a copy of the powerpoint to take home and take notes from?
Toy Soldiers
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Nicolalmh)
I personally don't start A levels until Monday but I've been looking up tips online so I'm prepared. Here's a few ideas I've found or learnt from GCSE:

If you're struggling to take notes from powerpoints, ask your teachers to email the powerpoint to you after the lessons or put it on the college drives (or whatever you have to access files). I really doubt they'd mind and you can use it to improve your notes.

Ignore pointless words and use abbreviations for common words (whatever is memorable).

Highlight keywords and check you spell them correctly. These are the important bits that you can always google later.

If you're struggling to write quickly, invest in a good pen. My English teacher suggested this as for the GCSE language exam you needed to write **** loads to get a good grade (everyone in my class was aiming for A/A*s). Don't use biros. Use a fountain pen or other pen with a smooth tip.

I haven't tried it out but the Cornell note-taking method http://lifehacker.com/202418/geek-to...warenotetaking is recommended for Uni/College students often. Have a read through this and a look around as it seems to be the most recommended method.

Use Microsoft's OneNote to take notes. It makes it easy to find particular notes and can be used on tablets/phones.

As for organising physical notes, use coloured paper to separate sections and finish all notes after class to make revising easier.

I hope this helps, good luck!
Thanks for the tips. They're really helpful, especially using a better pen and asking the teacher for the powerpoints. Guess I got nothing to lose if I do it that way. Thanks again.

(Original post by Pokémontrainer)
When you have to take notes from powerpoints, could you possibly skim the paragraphs and write down the most important points? If not, maybe inform the teacher out of class that you are having difficulties so they could perhaps spend longer on each slide or give you a copy of the powerpoint to take home and take notes from?
I tried doing that before but it's like a jigsaw puzzle as you have to put it back together. I'll see my teacher about it and hopefully she can help. Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (170)
14.73%
I'm not sure (53)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (340)
29.46%
I have already dropped out (34)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (557)
48.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed