The Student Room Group

GCSE Further Maths

I am currently in year 11 after studying all of my subjects in year 10, without taking any of my exams early. Since I am in a higher set (class) for maths, I was given the opportunity to study further maths in year 11 with my teacher saying that we would be going over the GCSE maths course whilst learning the new content from the new course. As I was unable to take my maths exam early, I could not get my maths GCSE over with and would have to remember the content until I did the exam at the end of the year. After doing a practise paper at the end of year 10, I achieved a B grade which I was happy with but did not think I could better next year if I was not going to study the course the following year. Although my teacher says that I would be able to remember the content for both the GCSE maths course and further maths course, I do not think I will be able to handle the further maths course as I did struggle with some of the questions given to us to give us a feel of the course.

So, I am wondering, to people who have either taken or dropped the further maths course, whether I should continue with the GCSE maths course and potentially get an A/A* at the end of the year or have the opportunity to get an extra GCSE but maybe not with very high grades?
(edited 9 years ago)
It depends on how you find the normal course. Is it easy for you? If you think that the further maths course will potentially prevent you from doing ur best in the normal maths than you may want to just do the regular maths GCSE...
Reply 2
Hey, I've just finished year 11, having done the further maths GCSE. Personally I found further maths much more enjoyable, and enlightening than the GCSE course, and achieved an A^. At GCSE I only managed an A, having done much more work than I did for FM. I do feel that had I studied the FM course alongside my GCSE, I would have had a much greater understanding of the algebraic areas of the GCSE. I would recommend taking it, as it compliments the GCSE nicely

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I'm in year 11 as well and I was pretty much in the same situation. We were meant to finish normal GCSE content in November and then do further from November and take all the exams for both courses in June. However, as I was already taking 12 GCSEs I was worried about the extra stress a 13th GCSE I would personally probably find very challenging would put on me (I'm doing an A-level equivalent foreign language qualification in December too, and maybe Grade 5 piano in December?). So I was thinking about asking my teacher not to enter me for it as well. However, when we came back a few days ago I had moved from top set into second despite getting an A on my year 10 mock (everyone else in my old set is a maths genius and gets straight A*s in maths) meaning I didn't have to do it anymore. Personally I think it's for the best for me because I will get more support in this set and can concentrate on getting my grade in Maths up to an A* :wink: plus I know I'd most likely only have been capable of a B/C at most in further maths with so little preparation which would have disappointed me and this way it's less to worry about.
Sorry the post got so long! Good luck with deciding :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I'm in the same situation as you- expect I did my Maths GCSE last year ( Year 10) and got a B. Although I'm happy to re-sit again in June, I'm worried about accepting the offer to also study Further Maths this year as-well. I'm planning to talk to Maths teacher and see what she thinks about whether I'll be able to cope etc. Perhaps you should talk to your parents, teachers..?

Quick Reply

Latest