The Student Room Group

Mechanics question

When you have connected particles, how do you know if you should consider the particles individually and resolve or if you should resolve holistically?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
When you have connected particles, how do you know if you should consider the particles individually and resolve or if you should resolve holistically?

By considering what it is you are looking for

For example, if looking for tension you need to look at one particle as the tension in the whole system cancels
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
By considering what it is you are looking for

For example, if looking for tension you need to look at one particle as the tension in the whole system cancels

Oh alright - this is a skill that will must probably just come with practice then, I guess. So, say I was looking for the acceleration of two connected particles that are connected horizontally, could I resolve holistically? If I resolved holistically, then the tensions would cancel and I'd just be left with acceleration. Is that fine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh alright - this is a skill that will must probably just come with practice then, I guess. So, say I was looking for the acceleration of two connected particles that are connected horizontally, could I resolve holistically? If I resolved holistically, then the tensions would cancel and I'd just be left with acceleration. Is that fine?

yep -

As a guide - if you are unsure

Try the whole system first - if it cancels out what you are looking for - try splitting

As you say - it will come easier with practice
Reply 4
Original post by TenOfThem
yep -

As a guide - if you are unsure

Try the whole system first - if it cancels out what you are looking for - try splitting

As you say - it will come easier with practice

Ah okay, thanks. Now that I have my problem solved, I can move on to the next chapter. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

One rider is that you can only treat the system holistically as long as the string remains taut.

Quick Reply

Latest