16 and never had chickenpox. Worried?! Watch

icecreamcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I'm 16 years old (AS student) and I've never had chickenpox. I'm really worried that I might catch it later in life (especially during exam time) and get a worse version of it- shingles. I've heard that if you get chickenpox later in life, it affects you in a worse way/you get shingles. What should I do? I'm really scared that I might catch it!! Should I go and see my doctor/GP? Will they give me a chickenpox jab/injection/vaccine? I don't think my parents ever got chickenpox either...!!

Has anyone here also not had chickenpox (yet)??
kyraaalm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, I had chicken pox last year (when I was 15) and during mock week as well so I missed all mocks. I don't think its anything to worry about not having it, some people are immune to it.
My mother took me to 'chicken pox parties' when I was like 3 to try and get me to have it then but it didn't work. So I went my whole life thinking I was immune and then one morning I just felt very feverish and flu like and next think I know I had chicken pox spots XD
But yeah - don't worry :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
creamymami
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm 18 and never had chickenpox too but I am vaccinated. You could consider getting the vaccine before going to uni if you're planning to live in halls. At my boarding school a bunch of girls who weren't vaccinated got chickenpox after one girl in boarding got it.
Jovious6638
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by strawberrysnow)
Hi, I'm 16 years old (AS student) and I've never had chickenpox. I'm really worried that I might catch it later in life (especially during exam time) and get a worse version of it- shingles. I've heard that if you get chickenpox later in life, it affects you in a worse way/you get shingles. What should I do? I'm really scared that I might catch it!! Should I go and see my doctor/GP? Will they give me a chickenpox jab/injection/vaccine? I don't think my parents ever got chickenpox either...!!

Has anyone here also not had chickenpox (yet)??
Expect it. Its coming.

Posted from TSR Mobile
icecreamcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Dr.Khan)
Expect it. Its coming.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great. Thanks for not helping...
hayleydhotman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
same i’ve never had them but my sister has got them (she’s 18) and idk whether i should try get them from her orrrr?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (304)
60.8%
Yes- I don't like it (24)
4.8%
No- I want it (135)
27%
No- I don't want it (37)
7.4%

Watched Threads