The Student Room Group

IB Chem Hl harder than A-level Chem??

Hello there,
So I'm doing IB for a week now but I'm not sure about my choices anymore...
Hl: Chem,Bio and German lit
Sl: Eng lang&lit,Eco and Maths

A-level choices would be Maths, Chem,Bio and Eco...I've already done my German A-levels and would do Spanish As next year and also Cas and Extended Project...

Is chemistry that much harder in IB Hl? I'm scared that I'm not going to be abel to do well and that its gonna pull my score down and I would be better off with A-levels...what do you guys think? I got a B in Igcse chem
Thank you!!
Reply 1
Can anyone pls give me some advice? :smile:
Hmm.. it's certainly different. I Had a chemistry tutor (who did a levels) and there were many times he couldn't help me and he'd go "wow this is so complex, we never went nearly this detailed.." so idk it depends. i'd say HL chem is slightly harder than a level, but probably just due to the amount you have to learn rather than actual content
PS my friend got a B in IGCSE chem and is predicted a 6:smile: Standard is easier than higher, but only in a few topics
Reply 4
Original post by NancyRoseC
Hmm.. it's certainly different. I Had a chemistry tutor (who did a levels) and there were many times he couldn't help me and he'd go "wow this is so complex, we never went nearly this detailed.." so idk it depends. i'd say HL chem is slightly harder than a level, but probably just due to the amount you have to learn rather than actual content

Hmm thank you :smile: So the IB goes into more detail even tough ppl say it's more breadth....Do you Overall think that the IB is worth it?
I think the breath-ness and depth-ness varies from topic to topic. the problem is it's ATLEAST just as detailed as A level, and probably broader, making it a really time consuming subject.
I think the IB is a great qualification, it really is, and universities value it. I did it because i wasn't ready to get rid of spanish and I just liked keeping as many subjects as possible. If you're up to it and you're organised and you want to do well, then go for it!
Reply 6
I've heard the difficulty goes:
Standard IB, A-levels then higher IB
Reply 7
Any other advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending