Film studies AS ???? Watch

JaFilFil
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
what is it about (film studies) what do u do. tell me everything about it please
SunnySmiles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did Film AS a couple of years ago.

You pretty much watch films! Not sure which exam board you'll be doing it with, but if I recall correctly, we studied different types of films. We did some study on British cinema, the industry and conventions. I did a 1500 word essay on a particular film and stylistic. We also studied war films, and how technology is influencing the way we watch movies. Each exam board differs and your college will pick from a selection of topics. You will learn about marketing, terminology and historical aspects like the star system, change in the industry and how societial shifts have influenced film.

It's a little bit like history and media together.
inachigeek21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you take media studies at GCSE?
JaFilFil
Rep:
?
nope
JaFilFil
Rep:
?
i see, thanks a lot.... one more question .... will there be a lot of work to do at home or is it pretty much all in lesson time
Nick54
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
SunnySmiles has pretty much got it, except, at least in our school, you also actually have to make a film in groups as well, as a part of your coursework. In terms of homework, you generally get essays every couple of weeks or so like most other arts subject, but they aren't usually particularity long or difficult. As with all A levels, far more independent work and study is required. If you enjoy films, have a good creative mind and have decent essay writing skills, then you should be fine. In many ways, it is like English Literature, but with films instead of books (if that appeals to you).
SunnySmiles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by STUDYREVISE)
Out of 10, what would you rate the difficulty of studying Film Studies? Are you doing it for A2 too?
Personally, I'd say about 6/7. It all depends on how much you like films. It won't be mainstream films, sometimes weird and odd movies. There is the historic element too to consider.

I did it for A2 and then went to Film School.

Oh and you will, most likely, do a practical element, like making a short film.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.55%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.51%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.65%

Watched Threads