The Student Room Group

Am I out of the running for these universities?

Hi,

I took on too much in my AS year and because of that I feel that I've performed quite badly. My grades were:

B Maths A2 (Taken a year early)

a Maths AS

b Computing AS

a Economics AS

c Physics AS

a Extended Project

My predicted grades will be: AAAB (the B is in physics) + EPQ a.

I don't have any extenuating circumstances, I just did poorly this year, but I'm confident that I'll improve my A2 grades because I've taken on a more sensible workload this year.

I plan to apply for:

Oxford - Typical offer is AAA

Warwick - Typical offer is A*AAB

Bath - Typical offer is A*AA

Nottingham - Typical offer is A*ABB - AABB

Southampton - Typical offer is BBBB with EPQ

Do I have a realistic chance of getting offers from Warwick and Bath, or should I not bother applying?

Thanks!
Original post by Rolivers
Hi,

I took on too much in my AS year and because of that I feel that I've performed quite badly. My grades were:

B Maths A2 (Taken a year early)

a Maths AS

b Computing AS

a Economics AS

c Physics AS

a Extended Project

My predicted grades will be: AAAB (the B is in physics) + EPQ a.

I don't have any extenuating circumstances, I just did poorly this year, but I'm confident that I'll improve my A2 grades because I've taken on a more sensible workload this year.

I plan to apply for:

Oxford - Typical offer is AAA

Warwick - Typical offer is A*AAB

Bath - Typical offer is A*AA

Nottingham - Typical offer is A*ABB - AABB

Southampton - Typical offer is BBBB with EPQ

Do I have a realistic chance of getting offers from Warwick and Bath, or should I not bother applying?

Thanks!

I assume this is for economics (& management for Oxford)

The typical offer for Oxford is A*AA and this is the bare minimum. It is extremely likely that you won't be called for interview, regardless of your GCSEs.

Warwick is also a push as it's also extremely competitive. Given that you have a B in A2 maths and they stipulate an A, you'll get rejected even if you are resitting (which you should still do, especially for maths).

You might be in contention with an offer from Bath and Notts, depending on other factors and the level of competition, and you'll most likely get an offer from Southampton.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mike_123
I assume this is for economics (& management for Oxford)

The typical offer for Oxford is A*AA and this is the bare minimum. It is extremely likely that you won't be called for interview, regardless of your GCSEs.

Warwick is also a push as it's also extremely competitive. Given that you have a B in A2 maths and they stipulate an A, you'll get rejected even if you are resitting (which you should still do, especially for maths).

You might be in contention with an offer from Bath and Notts, depending on other factors and the level of competition, and you'll most likely get an offer from Southampton.

Thanks again for the help Mike :smile:

And no, It's PPE at Oxford which is AAA, so I reckon I have a shot.

Yes you do, but don't underestimate the competition.

Sorry to burst your bubble but just because the entry requirements for PPE are AAA does not mean that being predicted AAA will necessarily give you a shot. The majority of successful applicants will have flawless AS grades and GCSEs and a lot of them will have done as many subjects as you.
Reply 5
Original post by Mike_123
Yes you do, but don't underestimate the competition.

Original post by Bloxorus
Sorry to burst your bubble but just because the entry requirements for PPE are AAA does not mean that being predicted AAA will necessarily give you a shot. The majority of successful applicants will have flawless AS grades and GCSEs and a lot of them will have done as many subjects as you.

I don't doubt it'll be tough, I'm hoping a good TSA score will at least get me an interview. To the best of my knowledge, it's the TSA that's considered most important when deciding who to call for interviews, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending