The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

South Asian the most hated ethnic group in the UK?

After reading through several pages of threads on this forum and others I have noticed that South Asian have a lot of 'hate' mockery etc against them?

Why is this they case?

Please let us debate and get the bottom of this, be free to speak your mind but don't be racist.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Ahmed21
After reading through several pages of threads on this forum and others I have noticed that South Asian have a lot of 'hate' mockery etc against them?

Why is this they case?

Please let us debate and get the bottom of this, be free to speak your mind but don't be racist.

Probably due to the fact that most South Asian men are mistaken for/ or are actually, Muslim.

Muslim's are generally the scapegoat in the media and are a common target of hatred.

It therefore makes sense that South Asian's have a lot of hatred and mockery against them.

(Btw: I'm white and don't have any problem with South Asians. I have quite a lot of Pakistani, Indian and Bangladeshi friends and find most of them to be really nice people.)
I think some European nations accepted a lot of immigrants with different cultural backgrounds. Some of these europeans want immigrants to "melt" into the society just like they do in the US. However, a lot of these immigrants haven't done so and when cultures clash, they want them to leave.

Simple as that. If cultures don't clash, immigrants are usually tolerated. This is proven over and over again in the world. You almost never see this sort of backlash against immigrants in the US or Canada mostly because the immigrants there tend to assimilate much quicker. This is likely due to the way these countries select immigrants, they take fewer refugees and more people with university education, solid english speaking skills and a valuable skill set or capital for investment.

There will always be discrimination in society, just like there is discrimination based on height there is discrimination based on ethnicity and culture. As a society we can try and minimize it, but it is a two way street and both sides need to close the gap together.

Its a very very small minority of people who truly want everyone to be the same skin colour them and these people would likely be truly considered "neo-nazi's". A main issue many people against immigration have is being lumped together with these people. Many aren't actually against people based on ethnicity it is based on their "perceived actions". Truly, what a few minorities do can taint the image of the entire group. The big difference is how the minority community then responds. If they respond by isolating themselves further it further inflames tensions, however if they try to isolate out the people at fault then it reduces tensions.
Reply 3
Original post by JJXX212
Probably due to the fact that most South Asian men are mistaken for/ or are actually, Muslim.

Muslim's are generally the scapegoat in the media and are a common target of hatred.

It therefore makes sense that South Asian's have a lot of hatred and mockery against them.

(Btw: I'm white and don't have any problem with South Asians. I have quite a lot of Pakistani, Indian and Bangladeshi friends and find most of them to be really nice people.)

I agree with this, deserves a rep!
Reply 4
Original post by Okorange
I think some European nations accepted a lot of immigrants with different cultural backgrounds. Some of these europeans want immigrants to "melt" into the society just like they do in the US. However, a lot of these immigrants haven't done so and when cultures clash, they want them to leave.

Simple as that. If cultures don't clash, immigrants are usually tolerated. This is proven over and over again in the world. You almost never see this sort of backlash against immigrants in the US or Canada mostly because the immigrants there tend to assimilate much quicker. This is likely due to the way these countries select immigrants, they take fewer refugees and more people with university education, solid english speaking skills and a valuable skill set or capital for investment.

There will always be discrimination in society, just like there is discrimination based on height there is discrimination based on ethnicity and culture. As a society we can try and minimize it, but it is a two way street and both sides need to close the gap together.

Its a very very small minority of people who truly want everyone to be the same skin colour them and these people would likely be truly considered "neo-nazi's". A main issue many people against immigration have is being lumped together with these people. Many aren't actually against people based on ethnicity it is based on their "perceived actions". Truly, what a few minorities do can taint the image of the entire group. The big difference is how the minority community then responds. If they respond by isolating themselves further it further inflames tensions, however if they try to isolate out the people at fault then it reduces tensions.

I actually agree with this too and funnily you mentioned US and Canada, I am planning to migrate to either of these countries just saving up the money and hopefully leaving the UK for good. There's so many amazing places in the world and I think it's only when you travel you realise you can do so much better if you just move.
Reply 5
I'm bangladeshi and am quite offended by that. Also considering a part of london (East london) is mainly full of bengali's and other asians, I think not.
Reply 6
Original post by Okorange

I personally don't find this "immigrants aren't integrating" point invalid in this age. 1st and 2nd generation Asians probably didn't mix with other races as they should have but it's not the same for the 3rd generation because we are doing everything we can to be part of society. English is our main language and we seek jobs in all kinds of fields instead of just minicabs, corner shops or restaurants like the previous generations. We go clubbing and get drunk (even Muslims), follow English football teams and so much more like our white counterparts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Ahmed21

Why is this they case?

Here in Yorkshire it's certainly true and tends to more specifically be Muslim males from Pakistan. I blame this on what they have done to Bradford and how unfriendly their 'ghettos' are.

Hell, they even elected George Galloway. :eek:
Original post by Rakas21
Here in Yorkshire it's certainly true and tends to more specifically be Muslim males from Pakistan. I blame this on what they have done to Bradford and how unfriendly their 'ghettos' are.

I agree. I'm based in West Yorkshire too and their certainly seems to be an 'us or them' situation. Even in school, the asian kids stick together and the white kids stick together. I've never really questioned it, it's just how it is :dontknow:
I'm partly sri lankan, would like to move from Belgium to London,

is this a good idea?
Reply 10
Original post by alexlebleu
I'm partly sri lankan, would like to move from Belgium to London,

is this a good idea?

It really depends but it's not a nice place at the moment, a lot of changes are being made in the UK, new opinions, new freedom, new attitudes etc.
Original post by JJXX212

Nice save :teehee:.

And I would say black and Irish and Muslim are the most hated groups of like any place, to the OP, not South Asian exclusively nor in general. I feel once someone finds out that you are granted South Asian but not Muslim they let go of hating you so much as compared to if you really are Muslim. :s-smilie:
Can confirm, got frisked when I tried to get on a plane a while back

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arithmeticae
Can confirm, got frisked when I tried to get on a plane a while back

Posted from TSR Mobile

They frisk a lot of people though not just south asians although I don't deny that if you have a beard look muslim or have some sort of religious symbol on you they will frisk you more often. They usually first offer you the full body scanner which I take instead of being frisked.
Nobody dislikes Asians, they dislike Muslims, mainly Pakistani's. I'd say Pakistani Muslims are the most disliked.
Reply 15
Original post by CryptoidAlien
Nobody dislikes Asians, they dislike Muslims, mainly Pakistani's. I'd say Pakistani Muslims are the most disliked.

Well in that case I am the most hated then.
Reply 16
Original post by Rakas21

what have they done to bradford? and which 'ghettos' are you referring to?

i'll agree with the geroge galloway point.

Original post by TornadoGR4
I agree. I'm based in West Yorkshire too and their certainly seems to be an 'us or them' situation. Even in school, the asian kids stick together and the white kids stick together. I've never really questioned it, it's just how it is :dontknow:

really? I'm asian and was friends with the non-asians
OP I've noticed you make a lot of threads regarding your race.

Thing is, race is subjective. The whole superiority complex (which is what you're implying) doesn't exist. It's an artificial, fascist ideology and if you let something as small and dumb as that get to you then it's gonna bring you down.

In any case it's only a small minority of close minded people that ruin it for a majority of (a lot more) nicer people. Maybe you're not looking in the right places.
Original post by Qari
what have they done to bradford? and which 'ghettos' are you referring to?

i'll agree with the geroge galloway point.

really? I'm asian and was friends with the non-asians

Turned it into a no go city at night rampant with crime, unemployment, drug abuse, sexual abuse and even shootings.

While Leeds thrives, 'Bradistan' as its known locally is on its knees and I very much blame how unfriendly and uninviting it feels.
Reply 19
Original post by Rakas21
Turned it into a no go city at night rampant with crime, unemployment, drug abuse, sexual abuse and even shootings.

While Leeds thrives, 'Bradistan' as its known locally is on its knees and I very much blame how unfriendly and uninviting it feels.

There are more shootings in London/Manchester/Liverpool. Bradford doesn't have as much sexual abuse as other cities ie Rottheram.

Have you ever been Bradford?
Also there are lots of non south asians living there/going university.
Tbh I was surprised by the amount I saw in that park thing with the fountain

Latest

Trending

Trending