cherry00
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello there,
I've done IB for a week now and I'm not sure if i made the decision of taking IB instead of A levels(i can still switch to a-levels during the week).
I'm doing HL: Chem ,Bio,German Lit
Slnglish lang&lit, Maths sl,Eco
My choices for A-levels would be Maths,Chem,Bio and Economics. I've already done my german A-levels and I would do Spanish As next year to have a second language. I would still to CAS and the Extended Project (to show my writing skills).

I'm thinking of going into medicine but I would still like to keep my options open for law and business related careers. What do you think? I've heard that the IB is underrated...is it worth the workload? Also do my subject choices allow me a wide range of career choices?

Thank u so much I appreciate your advice!
CVK Abhiroop
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cherry00)
Hello there,
I've done IB for a week now and I'm not sure if i made the decision of taking IB instead of A levels(i can still switch to a-levels during the week).
My choices for A-levels would be Maths,Chem,Bio and Economics. I've already done my german A-levels and I would do Spanish As next year to have a second language. I would still to CAS and the Extended Project (to show my writing skills).

I'm thinking of going into medicine but I would still like to keep my options open for law and business related careers. What do you think? I've heard that the IB is underrated...is it worth the workload? Also do my subject choices allow me a wide range of career choices?

I take bio chem math at HL and econs hindi langlit at SL, and im writing my IB papers this november (so close yet so far) haha but to me, who is better at projects than exams, i find the IB more satisfying. And yup its very versatile. Currently, i can apply to almost anything i wish to, including econs, medicine, law, business, biochem and so on. If you had the choice, id suggest you pump up your Math sl to HL just in case you think of doing econs as a degree, but if not then go ahead, its good enough haha
Alunzar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello there,

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you are unsure about what qualification to do. IB and A Levels are great qualifications to have but a lot of people do go through this debate. Thankfully, TSR has this useful page for you to look at which might help: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...hich-is-for-me

In terms of your questions, it is often a stereotype that the IB is underrated for the amount of work you have to do. From my experience, doing AS Levels in Year 11 and then the IB for the next two years, I do think that universities underrate the IB. Here is something that I wrote on another thread regarding the same area (adapted to match your situation):

"1) IB is well respected by a lot of universities. Whilst both qualifications do get you where you want to be, some universities do tend to look positively on students who have undertook the IB as they know the type of student they are getting. This is not to say that IB students receive ANY preference when it comes to applications.

2) IB is broad whilst A Levels are specific. This means that if you have a solid course/career path in mind, it might be better to do A Levels. Having said that, your choice of potential A Levels is quite varied and I couldn't see you having a problem getting into a business or law degree as Eco/Maths is expected for both.

3) IB do a lot more work than A Level students. This is partly subjective but at the same time, this is a well accepted stereotype within education. If you don't believe me, check the UCAS tariff tables and compare the amount of UCAS points you can get between the offers A Level students receive and IB students receive. Case in point, to study English Lit, Warwick ask for AAA at A Level or 38 IB points. Now, lets look at the equivalent UCAS points related to those grades. Overall, Warwick ask for 567 UCAS points off IB students where they only ask for 360 UCAS points from A Level Students. Now you see why IB students don't get how A Level students can complain. "

Hope this helps
cherry00
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alunzar)
Hi,

Sorry to hear that you are unsure about what qualification to do. IB and A Levels are great qualifications to have but a lot of people do go through this debate. Thankfully, TSR has this useful page for you to look at which might help: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...hich-is-for-me

In terms of your questions, it is often a stereotype that the IB is underrated for the amount of work you have to do. From my experience, doing AS Levels in Year 11 and then the IB for the next two years, I do think that universities underrate the IB. Here is something that I wrote on another thread regarding the same area (adapted to match your situation):

"1) IB is well respected by a lot of universities. Whilst both qualifications do get you where you want to be, some universities do tend to look positively on students who have undertook the IB as they know the type of student they are getting. This is not to say that IB students receive ANY preference when it comes to applications.

2) IB is broad whilst A Levels are specific. This means that if you have a solid course/career path in mind, it might be better to do A Levels. Having said that, your choice of potential A Levels is quite varied and I couldn't see you having a problem getting into a business or law degree as Eco/Maths is expected for both.

3) IB do a lot more work than A Level students. This is partly subjective but at the same time, this is a well accepted stereotype within education. If you don't believe me, check the UCAS tariff tables and compare the amount of UCAS points you can get between the offers A Level students receive and IB students receive. Case in point, to study English Lit, Warwick ask for AAA at A Level or 38 IB points. Now, lets look at the equivalent UCAS points related to those grades. Overall, Warwick ask for 567 UCAS points off IB students where they only ask for 360 UCAS points from A Level Students. Now you see why IB students don't get how A Level students can complain. "

Hope this helps
Thank you so much!! So would you recommend the IB or do you think that A-level would give me the same chances? I'm def going to look at the link
cherry00
Rep:
?
Hi,

Hope this helps
Also, as I would also do CAS and Extended Project separately...do u think my a-level choices would give me the same wide choice?
Also as universities often underrate the IB...would I be in a safer position with A-levels?
Alunzar
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you so much!! So would you recommend the IB or do you think that A-level would give me the same chances? I'm def going to look at the link
It is a tough one to call. As much as I enjoyed the IB, it isn't for everyone. Both courses will get you where you want to be (I can't stress that enough) its just a matter of personal taste on how you would like to be assessed, whether the course content interests you, ect.

Also, as I would also do CAS and Extended Project separately...do u think my a-level choices would give me the same wide choice?
Also as universities often underrate the IB...would I be in a safer position with A-levels?
CAS and an extended project (I'm assuming your referring to the EPQ) do help to further your own interests by exploring them independently through research and volunteering. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "wide choice". Based on what you've said so far, the A Level choices that you would undertake should be fine for the type of courses you want to study (Bio/Chem/Maths go well for Medicine and Maths/Eco go well for both Business and Law) so I wouldn't worry about that. As I said previously, both courses will are accepted at university. So there is no need to worry about which one will leave you in the safest position because universities aren't bias towards A Level or IB students when it comes to the application process. Yes, many consider the IB to be more work but for someone who has already done an A Level in what I am assuming is not their first language, I don't think you'll find the workload a problem.

For you, I think there is an easy way to choose between the courses. Ultimately, I can't make the decision for you but hopefully these two questions will help you reach a decision:

1) Did you enjoy doing your A level in German, the course content, and the way it was assessed?

2) Do you want to study English Lit and Lang?

Hope this helps
cherry00
Rep:
?
It is a tough one to call. As much as I enjoyed the IB, it isn't for everyone. Both courses will get you where you want to be (I can't stress that enough) its just a matter of personal taste on how you would like to be assessed, whether the course content interests you, ect.

CAS and an extended project (I'm assuming your referring to the EPQ) do help to further your own interests by exploring them independently through research and volunteering. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "wide choice". Based on what you've said so far, the A Level choices that you would undertake should be fine for the type of courses you want to study (Bio/Chem/Maths go well for Medicine and Maths/Eco go well for both Business and Law) so I wouldn't worry about that. As I said previously, both courses will are accepted at university. So there is no need to worry about which one will leave you in the safest position because universities aren't bias towards A Level or IB students when it comes to the application process. Yes, many consider the IB to be more work but for someone who has already done an A Level in what I am assuming is not their first language, I don't think you'll find the workload a problem.

For you, I think there is an easy way to choose between the courses. Ultimately, I can't make the decision for you but hopefully these two questions will help you reach a decision:

1) Did you enjoy doing your A level in German, the course content, and the way it was assessed?

2) Do you want to study English Lit and Lang?

Hope this helps
Thank you so much!! I think I'm gonna switch to A-levels as I think that that would suit me more. I do enjoy German and English...but I do not necessarily need to do those subjects again.Especially saying that I already have my German A-levels...Also I calculated that with the IB, I would have to get A and A*s in all my six subjects which is a lot of pressure. Also I don't like the way that there is exams after 2 years...I think I'm gonna do A-levels thank u
Alunzar
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you so much!! I think I'm gonna switch to A-levels as I think that that would suit me more. I do enjoy German and English...but I do not necessarily need to do those subjects again.Especially saying that I already have my German A-levels...Also I calculated that with the IB, I would have to get A and A*s in all my six subjects which is a lot of pressure. Also I don't like the way that there is exams after 2 years...I think I'm gonna do A-levels thank u
No problem whatsoever Glad I could help All the best!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (688)
33.86%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (864)
42.52%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (389)
19.14%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.48%

Watched Threads