The Student Room Group

Student House is Disgusting! Help me!

I moved into my flat for 3rd year yesterday a week after the tenancy started. My previous house mate moved in last week and we've had never ending problems since move in and I've just had enough of my estate agents already!

When he moved in, the house had (prepare for list) No hot water, broken internet & television, broken washing machine and tumble dryer and the carpets were stained with cat urine. The property had no been cleaned, stains and posessions of previous tenants left behind. We also had a dead decomposing bird in our garden to top it off.

I complained over the phone and was assured the property would be up to standard for my move in, despite another tenant being there already and living with it!. However, although the appliances are now functioning, the hygiene of the house is disgusting. My cupboards were filled with left overs of the previous tenants dirty underwear, along with blood stains on the carpet. The curtain fell on me whilst attempting to pull it, and the room overall smells of a mixture of damp and cat urine. The kitchen applicances have yet to be cleaned, and mould has begun to grow under the tiles of the bathroom floor. Various wires are also hanging lose in the kitchen by the flooring. The freezer hasn't been undefrosted and the fridge is yellow. The overall house smells funky. I wasn't given a front door key until I went in to complain today so I couldn't even leave the property!

I demanded a resolution immediately, but it was brushed off, saying my complaints were opinion based on a standard of living. I'm cancelling my rent payments tomorrow, and have called the landlord in wednesday for a correct inspection with me present in the property. Apart from paying the rent, how can I help either improve the property - or get the hell out of here? :frown::frown::frown::frown:

someone help me please.
Original post by mcgreevy1993
I moved into my flat for 3rd year yesterday a week after the tenancy started. My previous house mate moved in last week and we've had never ending problems since move in and I've just had enough of my estate agents already!

When he moved in, the house had (prepare for list) No hot water, broken internet & television, broken washing machine and tumble dryer and the carpets were stained with cat urine. The property had no been cleaned, stains and posessions of previous tenants left behind. We also had a dead decomposing bird in our garden to top it off.

I complained over the phone and was assured the property would be up to standard for my move in, despite another tenant being there already and living with it!. However, although the appliances are now functioning, the hygiene of the house is disgusting. My cupboards were filled with left overs of the previous tenants dirty underwear, along with blood stains on the carpet. The curtain fell on me whilst attempting to pull it, and the room overall smells of a mixture of damp and cat urine. The kitchen applicances have yet to be cleaned, and mould has begun to grow under the tiles of the bathroom floor. Various wires are also hanging lose in the kitchen by the flooring. The freezer hasn't been undefrosted and the fridge is yellow. The overall house smells funky. I wasn't given a front door key until I went in to complain today so I couldn't even leave the property!

I demanded a resolution immediately, but it was brushed off, saying my complaints were opinion based on a standard of living. I'm cancelling my rent payments tomorrow, and have called the landlord in wednesday for a correct inspection with me present in the property. Apart from paying the rent, how can I help either improve the property - or get the hell out of here? :frown::frown::frown::frown:

someone help me please.

That sounds so unfortunate, I am sorry to say that I have no source-based idea but judging on my stubbornness I would ask the local council to run an inspection or something, or I would threaten to take matters further. This is so scary for me because I have a viewing for a property tomorrow too Dx I'm going to have a 4 hour drive to my uni's city to see it.
Original post by LaMandarine
That sounds so unfortunate, I am sorry to say that I have no source-based idea but judging on my stubbornness I would ask the local council to run an inspection or something, or I would threaten to take matters further. This is so scary for me because I have a viewing for a property tomorrow too Dx I'm going to have a 4 hour drive to my uni's city to see it.

As a student passing on wisdom of don't make the same mistakes I did! r :smile: , properties past the date of the 1st of Sept (unless halls) should ready be for moving in unless the tenancy starts later. If the tenancy as already begun, expect the house to be in the condition you see it in when you view it. If something is off or "going to repaired or sorted" then just don't risk it - or get it in writing to assure you have a back up option.

And don't worry either by my post, houses in a mess aren't the end of the world. University is what you make of it. Friends, courses and decorating your room can make up for a badly conditioned property as long as it doesn't make you sick. I would just rather not have to clean it myself :tongue:
I like to create my own mess and live in that - not someone elses!
Original post by mcgreevy1993
As a student passing on wisdom of don't make the same mistakes I did! r :smile: , properties past the date of the 1st of Sept (unless halls) should ready be for moving in unless the tenancy starts later. If the tenancy as already begun, expect the house to be in the condition you see it in when you view it. If something is off or "going to repaired or sorted" then just don't risk it - or get it in writing to assure you have a back up option.

And don't worry either by my post, houses in a mess aren't the end of the world. University is what you make of it. Friends, courses and decorating your room can make up for a badly conditioned property as long as it doesn't make you sick. I would just rather not have to clean it myself :tongue:
I like to create my own mess and live in that - not someone elses!

Oh likewise! Personally I'm a rather clean person when it comes to making my own mess, but when it comes to cleaning some other people's trash I just don't do it, and if I have to live in it I just don't allow it xD. Well, I sure did clean my ex's room when I moved to his place for a week, but that was the only exception, I had to stay there too after all:lol:

Mind you, do you pay utilities/ council tax or anything like that? If you're paying council tax I would totally visit the local council and ask them for suggestions.

Also, I get what you mean, but you should be receiving the conditions you paid for. I personally hate estate agents because, after all the calls I had to do myself, I realised they're just vile people.

My dad called an agency to arrange a viewing for place for me, I was cooking in the kitchen, and the agent told him the house was already taken (the advert was put on their website that morning, and it was merely noon). The moment she heard his strong east european accent she just said I'm sorry this house is taken, and when dad asked whether she had any other adverts she just said no and ended the call. I called her after 20 minutes when I found out, from my own phone, and not only did she say, "yes of course, a viewing then would be perfectly manageable" she kept me on the phone 15 minutes telling me other offers they had available.

I never had that massive urge to curse the Mordor out of somebody in my entire life.
Best of luck though, have a grand time at uni! I'm a fresher, so I'm excited and also scared about uni :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LaMandarine
Oh likewise! Personally I'm a rather clean person when it comes to making my own mess, but when it comes to cleaning some other people's trash I just don't do it, and if I have to live in it I just don't allow it xD. Well, I sure did clean my ex's room when I moved to his place for a week, but that was the only exception, I had to stay there too after all:lol:

Mind you, do you pay utilities/ council tax or anything like that? If you're paying council tax I would totally visit the local council and ask them for suggestions.

Also, I get what you mean, but you should be receiving the conditions you paid for. I personally hate estate agents because, after all the calls I had to do myself, I realised they're just vile people.

My dad called an agency to arrange a viewing for place for me, I was cooking in the kitchen, and the agent told him the house was already taken (the advert was put on their website that morning, and it was merely noon). The moment she heard his strong east european accent she just said I'm sorry this house is taken, and when dad asked whether she had any other adverts she just said no and ended the call. I called her after 20 minutes when I found out, from my own phone, and not only did she say, "yes of course, a viewing then would be perfectly manageable" she kept me on the phone 15 minutes telling me other offers they had available.

I never had that massive urge to curse the Mordor out of somebody in my entire life.
Best of luck though, have a grand time at uni! I'm a fresher, so I'm excited and also scared about uni :tongue:

I would avoid estate agents at all costs, best idea is to go to your University SU or Housing office and ask them for recommendations. Some Universities work with landlords to ensure the accommodation is up to standard for their students. Best way to get good accommodation.
I didn't do this, because i'm a moron.

There is nothing to be scared of! And thankyou you too, unfortunately I'm in my last year so the fun is almost over for me now :biggrin:
Sounds like typical student agents. We weren't given our deposits back at the end of second year for cleaning and damage costs, we then visited the house the following year as we had left some stuff in one of the cupboards and none of the so called damges and cleaning had been repaired! Such money grabbers.

Personally I'd keep on complaining then maybe withhold rent. I wouldn't move out completely because you could still be liable for the whole years worth, however if you just threaten to not pay for a month they're more likely to take that seriously. That's what we did when they refused to fix our oven, as soon as we said it was miraculously replaced the following day :eyeroll:

Quick Reply

Latest