The Student Room Group

Male nurses

Start my training tomorrow and was wondering just how many guys out there are going for nursing. One thing I noticed was that I was the only guy to be seconded from my hospital this year. Felt very outnumbered.
male nurses exist?
Reply 2
Yes, rare I know. We have grand total of one male nurse when I left my ward last week to start uni.
I remember once my mum wanted me to be a nurse and I swiftly said no :colonhash:

My friends dad was a nurse though and he got paid nicely...
Original post by grassntai
male nurses exist?

Have you been living under a rock all your life?
The sarcasm was not strong enough?
Original post by Azza007
Start my training tomorrow and was wondering just how many guys out there are going for nursing. One thing I noticed was that I was the only guy to be seconded from my hospital this year. Felt very outnumbered.

More and more are, but it's still female dominated. Which is okay, it's no big deal.
It varies from ward to ward. You find a lot more men working in environments such as A&E, theatres, critical care where there's lots of machines that go ping. There's a higher percentage of men in MH nursing too. Overall I think about 10% of those on the register are male.
Original post by moonkatt
It varies from ward to ward. You find a lot more men working in environments such as A&E, theatres, critical care where there's lots of machines that go ping. There's a higher percentage of men in MH nursing too. Overall I think about 10% of those on the register are male.

as Moonkatt says around 10 % of registrants are male, butthe numberi s higher in Mental health and learning disabilities ( upto third iirc) , there are relatively few RSCN as single registration men (few more dual registered and usually in A+E or Critical care work areas) and very very few Midwives, Health visitors / SCPHNs ( and most of the men in SCPHN settings are occy health).
Apparently there is 20 males in our year (across child, adult and MH) out of 140. Which doesn't sound like a lot but it's more than they have ever had before supposedly.
Reply 10
Well my group of adult nursing is 105 strong, just BSc, with around 6 guys that I am aware of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are lots of male nurses.

Male midwives on the other hand...
Original post by nexttime
There are lots of male nurses.

Male midwives on the other hand...

We're starting to see more around, not loads, but I know of a handful of them. I've always wondered how they get around doing PV stuff without having a chaperone there though, from what I've heard they don't have one.
Reply 13
There are a a few more male nurses in some areas (A&E, critical care. etc.). There are still not that many though. On wards there tend to be far fewer. I was the only guy on both of my ward placements. There are times it would be nice to have more of a gender balance in the hospital.

About doing personal care (which is probably more daunting for men at first).. it depends on your attitude - if you are professional in your work and you present yourself professionally, it is OK and people will see you as a professional.

Few patients care that I'm a guy. There may be the odd person who does mind and that's fine..there are plenty of women around to look after them. I find some patients prefer to be looked after by guy.

Where you think you really need a chaperone - and these occasions are rare - you ask for one and they'll always be someone around.

I also find there are occasions when women are pleased to have a guy around. Especially when some physical strength is needed (like picking someone up off the floor or doing CPR).

It's a good profession and it would be great if more men went into it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rb_2014

I also find there are occasions when women are pleased to have a guy around. Especially when some physical strength is needed (like picking someone up off the floor or doing CPR).

Isn't that what a hoist is for? :eek:
Reply 15
Original post by roobie72
Isn't that what a hoist is for? :eek:

Yes :smile: You should always use a hoist.

The only times I haven't seen a hoist being used is when trying to get someone off the floor as soon as possible because they need emergency care on a trolley.
Original post by The Socktor
Have you been living under a rock all your life?

Obviously not, if they lived under a rock they would need a nurse to check for injuries, maybe that nurse would be male

Posted from TSR Mobile
Proportionally there is more men in my uni MH cohort (about 1 in 4) than adult (less than 1 in 10). Although the adult cohort is a lot bigger than MH so there is a similar amount. Traditionally there has been a lot of men in MH. At least compared to other branches.

The MH lecturing team is male dominated too.
Reply 18
Original post by ScottMcCall
Proportionally there is more men in my uni MH cohort (about 1 in 4) than adult (less than 1 in 10). Although the adult cohort is a lot bigger than MH so there is a similar amount. Traditionally there has been a lot of men in MH. At least compared to other branches.

The MH lecturing team is male dominated too.

This is something I see as well. I'm one of 2 men out of a 100 people on my adult nursing course. But about 1/4 MH nurses seem to be male.

Why do you think it is?

Is it because hospital nursing is seen as a feminine profession by others and the puts men off? Do you think it's because there is not really any personal care in MH nursing that more men go into that? Maybe also because physical strength might be needed at times with MH nursing to keep people safe, this appeals more to men? Perhaps the idea of working with so many women on a ward puts men off?

Thoughts please men.

I'd like to know more about the things that put men off adult nursing if I can. It would help me understand why I'm so outnumbered. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rb_2014
This is something I see as well. I'm one of 2 men out of a 100 people on my adult nursing course. But about 1/4 MH nurses seem to be male.

Why do you think it is?

Is it because hospital nursing is seen as a feminine profession by others and the puts men off? Do you think it's because there is not really any personal care in MH nursing that more men go into that? Maybe also because physical strength might be needed at times with MH nursing to keep people safe, this appeals more to men? Perhaps the idea of working with so many women on a ward puts men off?

Thoughts please men.

I'd like to know more about the things that put men off adult nursing if I can. It would help me understand why I'm so outnumbered. :smile:

Well mental health nurses get to play pool and smoke cigarettes with their patients all day under the guise of therapeutic communication don't they? It's like spending all day down the pub, just without beer :tongue:

(I'm joking before anyone starts blowing a gasket here)

I don't know whether it's a misunderstanding of what is involved in nursing or adult nursing specifically, perhaps it is based on people with attitudes towards traditional gender roles, you see very few men go into children's nursing. You may see more men go into MH nursing because of the perception that you need to be physically stronger to be involved in control and restraint of patients, though I know the techniques used mean that this isn't necessary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending