The Student Room Group

Use of mathematics v.s. Mathematics

Hmmm... I have a dilemma. I've done some research on two A level maths courses: use of mathematics and mathematics. I know that maths is the standard one that most people go for, but since the second option is there I don't see why I shouldn't take it!

I want to go to Exeter to study Psychology in a few years time, and I'm (not boasting) very bright so I'm aiming for a definite A, quite possibly an A* in GCSE maths this year.

I guess that the Use of Mathematics course won't cover everything in the standard maths course and will be more about putting equations into real life scenarios, but is one qualification more favoured than the other? Is the Use of Mathematics course sort of a cop out kinda thing, like the course that people take if they want to take maths at A level but are only achieving D's in their GCSEs?

If anyone has any experience with either course then I'm more than grateful for your advice! Come to think if it, I'm happy for any advice!!! Thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Yeah use of maths isn't considered equal in academic rigor to maths. If you're capable (which sounds like you are) just take maths.
Yeah just take maths :smile: If you want something more, do further maths. Never done uses of mathematics but I've heard from teachers it isn't worth doing at all.
I thought this was a debate on capitalising the 'm' in mathematics. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Haha, sorry addylad! 😳 thanks for clearing that up everyone - maths it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by addylad
I thought this was a debate on capitalising the 'm' in mathematics. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:ditto:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest