QuidditchFan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm just a bit confused on the definition of integrated courses. I thought that both PBL and integrated courses offered patient contact from the start and that integrated courses was basically just a combination of both traditional and PBL courses.

However looking at this website: https://www.medicalcareers.nhs.uk/co...al_school.aspx , I got the impression that integrated courses were very different and not a combination of traditional and PBL.

Could someone please clarify this and give me some definitions/ big differences between these courses? Or direct me towards a good link.

Thanks
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The definition of integrated courses is that they offer patient contact/clinical sessions from early on, combined with theory; as opposed to the pre-clinical (theory) for first 2/3 years/clinical for next 3 years split of traditional courses (there are very few traditional courses now).

PBL courses refer to the way they teach the theory, i.e. they are not lecture-based. Technically PBL courses could be integrated or traditional, but in reality as PBL is a new form of teaching it tends to be used in integrated courses. Traditional courses (preclinical/clinical years split) grew based on lecture-based teaching so that tend to make up the majority of theory teaching, with little if any use of PBL.

The confusion I think comes with the fact that many integrated (theory & clinical integration) courses also combine lecture-style and PBL-style teaching and sometimes refer to this as an integrated teaching method.

In reality these terminology are not all that useful, it is better to examine the individual course to see if the teaching method & clinical integration (or otherwise) appeals to you. This is because most courses combine elements, e.g. I am on a traditional course with a pre-cllinical/clinical split and lecture-based pre-clinical theory. However, the pre-clinical also involves some PBL-style tutorials (not actually described by the uni as PBL); this is because PBL is similar to the traditional tutorial system used at older unis like oxbridge alongside lectures. We also start learning clinical skills from 1st year & go into clinical placements in 2nd year; but we don't do even half as much clinical in the first 2/3 years as an 'integrated' course would.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads