The Student Room Group

Am I the only one on TSR who still thinks fat shaming is bad?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Right
Fat shaming is crucial to getting people to lose weight. How many stories online have you read about people losing weight because they were shamed publicly. It is a form of motivation.

This. Why would anyone feel the need to lose weight if it's sociably acceptable to eat yourself to death at the ripe old age of 30?
Fat shaming and bullying people for being fat is unaceeptable. What should be done is to show the benefits of losing weight, and living a healthier lifestyle.
Original post by McMicheal
I'm all for freedom of choice.

You want to have cheeseburgers or cake for breakfast, you go for it. It's your choice.

I don't find obese or fat people attractive though, so their beauty and attractiveness is defined for me.

And I don't think people should be harassing or shaming other people because of their choices/habits.

Thing is you can easily lose weight while having a diet consisting solely of cheesburgers and cake. I've personally went on a 100% cake diet while still losing weight (however after 2 weeks you feel like throwing up all the time and you just don't want to eat cake anymore).

You lose weight by burning more calories than you consume. Just eat less.
Why is it anyone else's right to tell someone else how to live or how to look? Unless it somehow affects you, keep your nose out. Body shaming is exactly how eating disorders develop and how people's mental health starts to deteriorate.
Original post by PhoenixFire17

tl;dr, don't verbally abuse people about something that is none of your business

It is our business though. It's a drain on tax money, it leads to higher taxes on sugar to try and counteract obesity, which punishes moderate consumers just because a few people have no self-control and guzzle two bottles of coke a day. It's also very unpleasant travelling next to an obese person with their fat spilling over into your seat.

If obese people paid for their own healthcare (which would also stop the need for health taxes) and travelled separately, I would have no problem with them.
Original post by ChickenMadness
This. Why would anyone feel the need to lose weight if it's sociably acceptable to eat yourself to death at the ripe old age of 30?

Yup. The second we start accepting obesity and saying "you are normal", "you are ok and nothing needs to change" is the second people have no reason to lose weight. Everything we do has reason. Without reason there is no purpose. Once overweight/obesity becomes the norm there is no going back. If I was fat, I wish people were honest and told me I was fat, only then I would see reason to prove them wrong and change my life around. I think fat shaming is too soft and needs to be raised to another level, like labelling, rounding up and putting them in fat camps.
(edited 9 years ago)
People constantly compare obesity to smoking and drug addictions, which is why we shouldn't 'allow' people to be obese by asking people to accept that their beauty isn't defined by their size.

Obese people are constantly harassed, and called 'lazy' and 'worthless' because they can't lose the weight, but what people forget is that obesity is often a result of a food addiction - although food isn't physiologically addicting, it is psychologically, which is a fair amount of the reason why people can't give up smoking or drugs - it's an emotional crutch. So when you call someone lazy and not worth loving because they eat too much and exercise too little, all you're doing is feeding their hunger, as a large majority of people find comfort in food.

Also, despite the vehement defence that "we don't encourage smoking, so why should we 'encourage' obesity", equally, we don't walk up to people in the street who are smoking, and call them lazy and a drain on everyone else's resources, or tell them that they're killing children in Africa because they're not donating the money spent on cigarettes to charity, and we don't tell them they're not worth loving because of their nicotine addiction. If we don't do that to people who smoke, what makes you think obese people deserve it?

If you don't know someone, you have no idea of the situation behind their obesity - it may be due to grief, depression, a medical disorder, too little time to exercise or eat properly or simply a bad education on healthy eating.

So surely a better way to deal with the obesity crisis is to educate parents and children, adults and teachers to eat healthily and exercise regularly, and motivate people to help them lose weight through encouragement, rather than telling them that their worth is inversely proportional to the size of their body cells!

tl;dr, don't verbally abuse people about something that is none of your business

^^^^^^^^^^

For self-improvement. :tongue:
Reply 48
If people are well informed but still choose not to lose the weight then as far as I'm concerned, that's up to them and it's not up to me to force them to do otherwise, unless it directly affects me (i.e. they're a member of my family). I would never be rude to someone just because of their weight, having lost a stone myself since last year and getting down to a healthy BMI I know it can be difficult to find the willpower, especially when you use food for comfort like I used to (and still do to an extent but I know my limits now).
Reply 49
The Independent article:
Now there's proof that fat-shaming doesn't work, it's time to change our attitudes towards obesity

Now there is scientific evidence to suggest that those arguing for fat-shaming are wrong.

"Fat shamers" tend to base their moral position (ie believing that they are benefitting society by pointing out the blinking obvious) on the assumption that all obesity is caused by over-eating. There are myriad medical and circumstantial factors that can cause obesity, not least of which Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, which affects around 5 per cent of women in the UK.

For those whose obesity is caused by overeating, it is worth noting that "binge eating disorder" was last year acknowledged by B-eat, the UK's largest eating disorder charity, as a bona fide mental illness. Binge eaters have an addiction to food and deserve to be treated with the same compassion we offer to people suffering from anorexia or bulimia.

Those arguing FOR fat-shaming on this thread reveal not only their own ignorance but also their mean-spirited dispositions.

And personally, I ****ing hate a bully...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 50
Threads like this always attract the HAES through to the BB Misc body fascists. Got to get a balance in life, and ideally help those who will help themselves (I will sympathise with a person comfort-eating due to depression but only if they work with me to find alternative methods of coping)

Aside from obvious health conditions like disability, CFS etc. or mental ones such as depression or eating disorders-i.e. if the person is basically otherwise physically or psychologically sound, no confidence issues and just likes to furiously overeat-well I do think that's greedy and don't have much sympathy for them. I wouldn't publicly shame but in private I would be disappointed and/or irritated. I'd probably be more open if they do just whine about it.

My sympathy is directly relative to

a) their lack of knowledge (if they know what they're doing is bad for them but don't bother/won't change that's annoying)

b) their willingness to do something about it once they have the knowledge (taking into account added physical/psychological difficulties as listed above)

I have sympathy for binge eating but only when associated with co-morbid physical conditions, mental health problems or otherwise low self-esteem, because then it's a genuine eating disorder
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 51

I agree. They should stop eating so many genetics.

Stop bullying her, real women have curves. hnnnnnnnnnnnng :teehee:
Reply 52
People constantly compare obesity to smoking and drug addictions, which is why we shouldn't 'allow' people to be obese by asking people to accept that their beauty isn't defined by their size.

Obese people are constantly harassed, and called 'lazy' and 'worthless' because they can't lose the weight, but what people forget is that obesity is often a result of a food addiction - although food isn't physiologically addicting, it is psychologically, which is a fair amount of the reason why people can't give up smoking or drugs - it's an emotional crutch. So when you call someone lazy and not worth loving because they eat too much and exercise too little, all you're doing is feeding their hunger, as a large majority of people find comfort in food.

Also, despite the vehement defence that "we don't encourage smoking, so why should we 'encourage' obesity", equally, we don't walk up to people in the street who are smoking, and call them lazy and a drain on everyone else's resources, or tell them that they're killing children in Africa because they're not donating the money spent on cigarettes to charity, and we don't tell them they're not worth loving because of their nicotine addiction. If we don't do that to people who smoke, what makes you think obese people deserve it?

If you don't know someone, you have no idea of the situation behind their obesity - it may be due to grief, depression, a medical disorder, too little time to exercise or eat properly or simply a bad education on healthy eating.

So surely a better way to deal with the obesity crisis is to educate parents and children, adults and teachers to eat healthily and exercise regularly, and motivate people to help them lose weight through encouragement, rather than telling them that their worth is inversely proportional to the size of their body cells!

The only thing I hate is fat people that make their kids fat. If you're fat, fair enough - it's your body, your choice. But don't make your kids fat - they aren't your body, so not your choice!!!:mad:

Rant over:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Swirll
Stop bullying her, real women have curves. hnnnnnnnnnnnng :teehee:

Lol don't hate me because I'm beautiful
Reply 54
Lol don't hate me because I'm beautiful

Wood berry.

Nice to see mean spiritedness is still alive and well, based on some of the responses on this thread. Obviously I don't condone obesity, and I know it is something that should be tackled, but this "shaming" is completely unnecessary. For a lot of overweight people, food becomes an addiction, much like alcohol, drugs or cigarettes are an addiction. People who come out with the ridiculous statements like "eat less and exercise more, it's as easy as that" clearly don't understand the issue. If it was that easy, then obesity wouldn't exist, in the same way that if you said to a drug addict "don't take drugs, it's as easy as that" or, "don't drink alcohol, it's as easy as that" to an alcoholic. But those aren't the reactions, if someone is an alcoholic or a drug addict, there is a wealth of support available to them, whereas for people addicted to food, this isn't available, instead they have to withstand ridicule from complete strangers through this "shaming" bulls**t. Maybe next time, before you hurl abuse at someone because of their weight, take a look at yourself, I'm sure you have some flaws too.
Original post by David H :)
Nice to see mean spiritedness is still alive and well, based on some of the responses on this thread. Obviously I don't condone obesity, and I know it is something that should be tackled, but this "shaming" is completely unnecessary. For a lot of overweight people, food becomes an addiction, much like alcohol, drugs or cigarettes are an addiction. People who come out with the ridiculous statements like "eat less and exercise more, it's as easy as that" clearly don't understand the issue. If it was that easy, then obesity wouldn't exist, in the same way that if you said to a drug addict "don't take drugs, it's as easy as that" or, "don't drink alcohol, it's as easy as that" to an alcoholic. But those aren't the reactions, if someone is an alcoholic or a drug addict, there is a wealth of support available to them, whereas for people addicted to food, this isn't available, instead they have to withstand ridicule from complete strangers through this "shaming" bulls**t. Maybe next time, before you hurl abuse at someone because of their weight, take a look at yourself, I'm sure you have some flaws too.

Have you actually ever seen fat shaming in the street?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Have you actually ever seen fat shaming in the street?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, several times
Fat shaming is unacceptable, but that doesn't mean we should be encouraging obesity. We have a genuine problem with obesity in this country and it is our business because it affects the next generation, in terms of the lifestyle choices they make relating to food.
Reply 59
When you turn on the TV what are you bombarded with every 10 minutes?

Advertisements. Advertisements for food.

I don't blame people for being fat in the modern world, it's hard not to be brainwashed by the bombardment of fast, cheap, bad food. But perhaps that was because I was fat myself as a teenager so it makes me slightly more sympathetic. I certainly don't think I would have lost all the weight (I went from 210lbs to 140lbs in about 14 months, now I'm at 160 and have been for about two years) if I was constantly shamed. Everyone was very supportive of me when I told them I was going on a diet and without that kind of environment and support I don't think I could have done it.

Eating is very emotional for people sometimes too. When I felt bad about things I ate. If someone called me a disagrace to society I probably would have got a KFC and sat in my room and cried while I ate it. But thankfully that didn't happen.

Quick Reply

Latest