Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Blacks are generally more accepted and/or assimilated in UK society than Asians.

Discuss

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I think it depend on the area you live in and whether there are already more black or asian people in that area. At the moment black people probably are more accepted but that is probably because in the current political climate there are people who have a problem with Asian people especially muslims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koldtoast)
    Blacks are generally more accepted and/or assimilated in UK society than Asians.

Discuss
    If you apply the term ethnic at all, then probably there are nothing but ethnic minorities in Uk society. There are a great many varietiies of blacks, Asians and whites with considerable cultural differences and resemblances among them.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the statement is true to a certain extent.

Recently black people have become more accepted by society, whereas asians have had a harder time, partially due to the September 11th attacks. U just need to look at the race tiots in burnley and oldham - between asians and whites. no black ppl.

Also due to the rap music culture it has become "cool" to be black, the same cannot be said for being asian. From what i have experienced white people respect black ppl (of my own age) more than they do asians.

My opinion, however is likely to be biased as i am asian. i do however have a good ethnic mix of friends

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the age group, I think.

My generation, I would say that most people have far less racial bias than the older generations.

I am white, and have many Indian/Pakistani (I loathe the term Asian, as it seems to be only used for people of Muslim descent. I have never heard of a Chinese person called Asian) and Black friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koldtoast)

Discuss
    Funny. I feel it's almost the opposite in the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArisGreenleaf)
    Funny. I feel it's almost the opposite in the US.
    I agree with you 100%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxNewsRocks)
    I agree with you 100%.
    Never thought I'd see the day....

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it was tough to type for me too. :eek:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.