The Student Room Group

Birmingham reading list?

Hi, I was wondering if any current or past Birmingham med students had any advice about the best reading material to buy/ how many of the text books to buy/ or any other advice as far as books are concerned really?
There's so many different books out there I just really don't know what to do!
Original post by AngryPenguin
Hi, I was wondering if any current or past Birmingham med students had any advice about the best reading material to buy/ how many of the text books to buy/ or any other advice as far as books are concerned really?

Hiya! Basically all you really need for first year is a decent anatomy book. Either Gray's Anatomy for students or clinically oriented anatomy. I definitely would not buy any books before you go to uni... Take a look at those two anatomy books in the library and decide which one you like the best. Other than that, you are better off using books from the library than buying them yourself. As most of the books are only dipped in and out of during the course, you'd have to spend a lot of money if you bought everything recommended!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go to the library, browse through the books yourself, see which ones you like best and go from there.

There are some recommendations here, but seriously, you need to find something that works well for you. There's no rush, just enjoy your fresher's week for now and take this stuff as it comes.
Reply 3

Agree with the above post, though personally I found getting a histology book as well quite convenient (Wheaters/Junqueiras). And Netters anatomy colouring book helped me immensely with the Muscles, joints and movement module in first year!

Ps Please dont buy Essential Cell Biology - everything in there is extra reading and you'll only use, if at all, for like, four weeks max, ever. And How to Succeed at Medical School was, imho, not that helpful, so dont feel peer pressured into reading it!

When i was a fresher i bought the entire reading list and its currently sitting on my shelf, some with the original cellophane wrap. Don't bother buying any of the books, you can always take them out from the Barnes Library and the internet is a far better source for anything (you'll even find a book or two on PDF...)

Though i know you'll probably ignore all the above posts and buy all the books anyway, they make great paperweights.
Reply 5
Is it possible to ask anyone if they could sell me books? Thought it best to go for discounted prices...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending