The Great Repeal and Charter Reforms - September 2014 - Vote

Watch
Poll: Do you agree with the Great Repeal and accept the new Model United Nations Charter?
Aye (14)
93.33%
No (1)
6.67%
Abstain (0)
0%
RoryS
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I urge all MUN Representatives to vote on this decision.

Voting will last for four days.

The Great Repeal and MUN Charter ReformGreat Repeal

The Model United Nations reached the grand old age of nine years old this May. There have been 15 sessions, and as many Secretary Generals. During this time the MUN has passed 189 resolutions. Despite this monumental achievement, it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep track of the technicalities and details governing the MUN. It is with this that we propose a reset of the MUN:

Resolutions:
1. All resolutions before and including 2014/07 shall cease to have effect and are hereby repealed.
2. Records of the affected resolutions will be kept in the MUN Wiki - marked as “Old Era Resolutions”.
3. Naming of future resolutions will continue in the same way, starting with 2014/08.

MUN Structure:
1. The MUN will be effectively re-started, in accordance with the new Charter and the following starting rules:
a) There are 193 full members and 2 observer states. A full list can be found here.
b) Real life UN decisions do not apply to the MUN.

Updated MUN Charter
Spoiler:
Show
Chapters
1. Representatives in the MUN
2. General Assembly Rules
3. General Assembly Resolutions
4. The Security Council
5. Security Council Resolutions
6. The Secretary General
7. MUN Business
8. Reforming the Model UN
9. Disciplinary Procedure

1. Representatives in the MUN

1) Are required to debate as a representative of their country or organisation.

2) Representatives may or may not choose to follow the real life stance of their country.

3) May post out of character by beginning their posts with the letters OOC.

4) May hold two positions at the same time via a system called ‘dual representation’ by informing the Secretary General of their desire to represent a second country.

5) Must have a one hundred and fifty post count and Student Room experience of 3 months to apply.

2. General Assembly Rules

1) Declarations of war or the use of nuclear weapons must obtain a Security Council resolution.

2) Members should vote on every resolution where possible and be regularly active in the MUN. If members wish to stand down from a position or are going to be absent for a while, they should inform the Secretary General.

3) Members should follow TSR’s general code of conduct that encourages courteous behaviour and advises against the use of personal insults or negativity.

3. General Assembly Resolutions

1) Resolutions that do not have implications for International Peace and Security will be voted on by the General Assembly.

2) Resolutions must be sent to the Secretary General who will check that the format of the resolution and post it in the main forum (the General Assembly)

3) Up to 7 days of discussion is allowed for resolutions. Voting itself must last for a maximum of 3 days.

4) If your Resolution concerns the actions of your own state, please abstain in the vote.

4. The Security Council

1) The Security Council consists of the following states who have veto power, and can use it by voting against a resolution:

• United Kingdom
• United States
• France
• Russian Federation
• China

2) The Security Council will also have five positions for non-permanent members. States are elected to these positions are elected every 3 months. Any General Assembly member state may stand in these elections.

3) The Secretary General shall manage all Security Council elections using the schedule outlined in the Guidance Document.

4) Representatives can be removed if they have been inactive for a period of three weeks without explanation or if another representative requests that the Secretary General hold an election for that position.

5. Security Council Resolutions

1) Security Council Resolutions must have implications for International Peace and Security.

2) If the proposer of the resolution or a co-sponsor of the resolution is a member of the Security Council then they are able to post the resolution in the Security Council sub-forum for discussion.

3) If the proposer of the resolution is not a member of the Security Council then they should ask the Secretary General by sending them the resolution to post it in the Security Council sub-forum. The proposer should be quoted to bring the thread to their attention.

4) Once the resolution has been posted to the Security Council subforum, a discussion lasting a maximum of 3 days will be held, followed by a 3 day vote. Voting should be ‘public’.

5) A thread may be posted in the General Assembly about the resolution after it has been posted in the Security Council forum.

6. The Secretary General

1) Is the main administrator and mediator of the MUN, the decision of the Secretary General is final in all matters and they must act in the MUN’s best interest.

2) Should hold a roll call every 3 months, at least, to ensure activity in the General Assembly is maintained.

3) Will serve a minimum term of six months, after which they can stand for election to retain their position.

4) Can be removed at any time by a Vote of No Confidence.

5) Will endeavour to hold an awards ceremony every year to honour the best MUN members.

6) Shall be elected using the timetable in section 2 of the Guidance Document. The Deputy Secretary General shall also be elected using this method.

7) The Deputy Secretary General will provide support to the SG with all MUN issues.

8) The DSG will preside over the MUN in the event that the SG is unable to fulfill their duties.

9) The DSG may also represent a nation in addition to their administrative responsibilities.

7. MUN Business

Hypothetical and Historical Scenarios

1) Are those that deal with situations that are not currently occurring in the real world.

2) Can be started by any MUN member once permitted by the Secretary General. The starter and the Secretary General are the only members permitted to provide updates to the scenario. The Secretary General can close any Hype which they deem to be inappropriate.

3) Can be suggested by Student Room members but must be lead by the Secretary General.

4) Any use of military force must be approved with the Secretary General via PM.

Weekly Summits

1) May be initiated by any member of the General Assembly who posts a short Position Paper on the subject.

2) Will end with a Resolution or Treaty confirming the decisions reached by the summit members.

3) Will be recorded by the Secretary General in a way possible for public viewing.

Treaties

1) Treaties are legally binding agreements between two or more member states.

2) May be made at any time and posted in the General Assembly forum.

8. Reforming the Model UN

1) The Charter and Guidance Document of the Model United Nations can be altered or reformed by a simple majority vote in the General Assembly.

2) Reforms should be debated out of character and voted upon in private.

3) The Secretary General will introduce changes and reforms as suggested and voted for by the membership of the MUN, ensuring these follow TSR guidelines.

9. Disciplinary Procedure

1) This consists of a “three strikes” policy. If the Secretary General feels that a representative has broken any of the articles of the Charter, then they (and only they) may issue a public warning. Any member can alert the Secretary General to suspected rule breaking.

2) Gaining three warnings will result in the representative being removed from the MUN. The length of the removal is at the discretion of the Secretary General.

3) Personal disputes may not be discussed within the MUN. Such posts can be removed by the Secretary General and warnings may be issued.

No changes have been made to the Guidance Document.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This seems like a sensible move.

A similar repeal in the Model HOC resulted in higher levels of activity - let's hope we can get the same here.
Republic1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Aye. I was a part of the group that put together this plan and I think it is the only thing that can save the MUN.
RoryS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Birchington)
This seems like a sensible move.

A similar repeal in the Model HOC resulted in higher levels of activity - let's hope we can get the same here.
Nice to hear this Birch!

Hopefully we can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
McRite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I especially agree with the 3 weeks rule. At least we'll get serious members in the MUN
thunder_chunky
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A few years ago I would have opposed this, but I think this is the right way forward now. The old crowd have (probably) gone and the MUN needs fresh faces to take it forward, it needs people who want to take it forward as well. I thought that I'd try to stick around after I stepped down as SG but I haven't really had time so I consider myself retired from this place. It needs a new generation of people who will spend a good four years here shaping the MUN and the Security Council. People who force the MUN to move in certain directions, making countries accepted in the SC and forcing it into deadlocks or pushing other countries around in Hypes. It needs electricity, it needs motion, it needs love. If it doesn't it will continue to die.
So scrap it all and start from scratch, and best of luck to you all and all who sail in her.
RoryS
Rep:
?
:bump:

All MUN Reps need to vote on this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
RoryS
Rep:
?
Right, with 15 votes, 14 yes' and 1 no this Great Repeal and Charter reform has passed. :yy:

I will update the Charter thread accordingly.

I'm currently behind on a project due in next week for when I start uni so I'm going to have to put changes on hold until that's handed in and sorted. Many apologies.

(Original post by Republic1)
QFA
Your help with possible next steps for me to take would be useful if you have any mate. I'll begin working through that list once things have settled down a bit, hopefully by the later stage of next week...
Republic1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RoryS)
Your help with possible next steps for me to take would be useful if you have any mate. I'll begin working through that list once things have settled down a bit, hopefully by the later stage of next week...
No problem at all. I'm free for the next two weeks before term starts, so we should be able to get it sorted
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.93%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.53%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.3%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.79%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.45%

Watched Threads