owen2310
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I failed one of my resits in the 2nd year of the MPharm degree program and my university has basically said bye and not informed me of any options or what I should consider doing now. :nopity:

I was wondering if anyone else has ever been in this position or what they would attempt if they were? At the moment it seems like I can only continue with pharmacy if I start from year 1 again, which I don't really want to do as I passed 1st year easily and got a Certificate of higher education in Pharmaceutical Science for it (meaningless lol).
owen2310
Rep:
?
I would love a few replies today because there's not long before clearing is finished etc
tiny golden key
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can appeal from what I know. Ask for help at the Student Union
owen2310
Rep:
?
(Original post by tiny golden key)
You can appeal from what I know. Ask for help at the Student Union
The appeals process is useless unfortunately, you need to have evidence of university misconduct to lodge an appeal and I have no idea how I would get hold of that or if there even was 'misconduct'.

The student union and admissions people I've spoken to so far don't seem to know a lot, only what I can't do now and not any options of what I can do :confused:
r_u_jelly
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Which Uni? Did you try your best in the resit? If you did consider a change of course..
owen2310
Rep:
?
LJMU, I had 3 other resits at the time which i cleared by 15 - 20 marks each it was just the summer medicinal chemistry exam I didn't pass, all my coursework was to a good standard too. Everything I have done for the last 3 years has been geared towards getting this Pharmacy degree and I don't know about anything else to be honest :/

The only other courses I can apply for get you a lab job and that is the last thing I want
thisworked
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by owen2310)
I failed one of my resits in the 2nd year of the MPharm degree program and my university has basically said bye and not informed me of any options or what I should consider doing now. :nopity:

I was wondering if anyone else has ever been in this position or what they would attempt if they were? At the moment it seems like I can only continue with pharmacy if I start from year 1 again, which I don't really want to do as I passed 1st year easily and got a Certificate of higher education in Pharmaceutical Science for it (meaningless lol).
If you have good first year results, you might be able to start from second year in a different uni. While some unis normally allow that, I'm not sure how it works with a Pharmacy degree. You should try asking anyway...

Goodluck
owen2310
Rep:
?
(Original post by thisworked)
If you have good first year results, you might be able to start from second year in a different uni. While some unis normally allow that, I'm not sure how it works with a Pharmacy degree. You should try asking anyway...

Goodluck
The first thing I tried was speaking to other uni's to see if I could join at second year but they have all said because the 1st year modules at LJMU are different to theirs I would have to sit the first year again.

I can't figure out whether it would be worth starting the 4 years again somewhere else, and I would only get 3 years of student loans too...
thisworked
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The first thing I tried was speaking to other uni's to see if I could join at second year but they have all said because the 1st year modules at LJMU are different to theirs I would have to sit the first year again.

I can't figure out whether it would be worth starting the 4 years again somewhere else, and I would only get 3 years of student loans too...
Don't you have a tutor or someone you can talk to about your situation? You're allowed to take a certain number of credits into the next year as long as it's not a core module IIRC.
Don't give up!

As far as starting over is concerned, I know you must feel like it would be a waste of time since you've been through that already. But since you're set on this course then you probably should consider it... You could get a job next year to help fund it maybe?
owen2310
Rep:
?
Unfortunately it was a 36 credit core module. I'm starting to feel like starting over is my only option but I'm concerned for my mental health because of the stress I will be under starting from scratch knowing there is no room for even the slightest mistake now. I was really hoping another Uni would let me resit the 2nd year or the exam that I failed but none of them seem to have that option, considering I only failed this module by one point overall and would have got a second at least in all the others, I feel like I got a bit of a raw deal here :confused:
trustmeimlying1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thisworked)

Goodluck
yeh its crazy..starting from the start is just ridiculous!

wtf!:O in my uni I think yeh just have to repeat the year!
my mate is actually repeating it this year see it as a chance to do other things in your life!
spending a few more years in uni may be a blessing in disguise trust me!
owen2310
Rep:
?
(Original post by trustmeimlying1)
yeh its crazy..starting from the start is just ridiculous!

wtf!:O in my uni I think yeh just have to repeat the year!
my mate is actually repeating it this year see it as a chance to do other things in your life!
spending a few more years in uni may be a blessing in disguise trust me!
What uni do you attend? I can't seem to find any that allow you to resit a year on the Pharmacy course, they all want me to start from year 1.

I don't mind being at uni a bit longer I guess and being older than everyone else doesn't really bother me, it's just the financial strain its going to put on me and my family and I feel like I've already let them down enough :/
trustmeimlying1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What uni do you attend? I can't seem to find any that allow you to resit a year on the Pharmacy course, they all want me to start from year 1.

I don't mind being at uni a bit longer I guess and being older than everyone else doesn't really bother me, it's just the financial strain its going to put on me and my family and I feel like I've already let them down enough :/
pm me although im not sure about exchanges..only with repeating if you fail here.what uni is yours?

dont be like that man you can get a part time job..do the RA(resident assistant) thatl cover most of the costs..student loan etc...
im sure your parents simply want whats best for you
owen2310
Rep:
?
Liverpool John Moores University, I think I'm gona try and get a place to start again at another uni but this has really hit my confidence. Hard to imagine being successful somewhere else when I feel this low but it's all I have left at this point unfortunately.

Thanks for all your messages though guys you've been great, much more helpful than any of the people I've been on the phone to the last few days!
trustmeimlying1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Liverpool John Moores University, I think I'm gona try and get a place to start again at another uni but this has really hit my confidence. Hard to imagine being successful somewhere else when I feel this low but it's all I have left at this point unfortunately.

Thanks for all your messages though guys you've been great, much more helpful than any of the people I've been on the phone to the last few days!
ah.dont let it hit your confidence trust me man
everyone has falls its about being able to pick yourself back up that counts

yeh you seem a good student..if you apply everywhere including unis in NI yeh might just get somewhere thatl take yeh on.ring tho..and have something ready to say!

they may just make an exception if someone drops out etc! it probably wont be official though.dont be too picky on the uni though

not a bother..happy to help
thisworked
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Unis can have ****ed up policies sometimes. Have you thought of submitting an appeal for material error (not sure what it's called). Since you missed the pass by just one point you should try that. They'll recheck your script and marks though they won't remark it.

Also have you spoken to your personal tutor about your situation? They're supposed to assist you

There are another 25 unis with accredited MPharm degrees, surely you haven't rung them all? (If you have then :console:)

And this basically:
(Original post by trustmeimlying1)
ah.dont let it hit your confidence trust me man
everyone has falls its about being able to pick yourself back up that counts

yeh you seem a good student..if you apply everywhere including unis in NI yeh might just get somewhere thatl take yeh on.ring tho..and have something ready to say!

they may just make an exception if someone drops out etc! it probably wont be official though.dont be too picky on the uni though

not a bother..happy to help
Summerelle
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry to hear about you situation but My daughter is in the same situation as you but her uni have offered her to go into the third year of a Bsc degree in pharmaceutical science degree. She had one resit and failed by 2 marks but they wouldnt let her progress to third year.

Let me know what you have decided and best of luck with whatever decision you make.
Nima123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey just wondering how it all worked out for you? Did you manage to get to third year or..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (113)
17.82%
It's just nice to be back! (172)
27.13%
Not great so far... (227)
35.8%
I want to drop out! (122)
19.24%

Watched Threads