Formidables
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I am a little confused about my A level choices. I have chosen Biology, Physics,English lit and psychology . I got good grades in all of them not including psychology as it wasn't offered in GCSE. I do enjoy both of the sciences but can't imagine doing anything to do with them in the future and they don't really fit unlike Bio and chem or physics and further maths. I only chose them because they were " academic subjects" and i thought they would offer me more options but all they seems to offer me is science based options. If I had it my way i would have chosen the "lesser academic subjects" i.e film studies ,media studies and photography as they are actually things i enjoy and would love to get into in the future. I guess what i am trying to say is I am stuck with A levels that I don't mind doing but i have no interest in pursuing them in the future. sorry for calling some subjects "less academic" its because i have been told over and over again they where pointless A levels but right now i would rather be doing those so called pointless A levels then the ones i am doing right now.
Fat Head
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is it too late to change your choices? I know many people who changes subjects within the first month of year 12.
EloiseStar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Formidables)
Hi, I am a little confused about my A level choices. I have chosen Biology, Physics,English lit and psychology . I got good grades in all of them not including psychology as it wasn't offered in GCSE. I do enjoy both of the sciences but can't imagine doing anything to do with them in the future and they don't really fit unlike Bio and chem or physics and further maths. I only chose them because they were " academic subjects" and i thought they would offer me more options but all they seems to offer me is science based options. If I had it my way i would have chosen the "lesser academic subjects" i.e film studies ,media studies and photography as they are actually things i enjoy and would love to get into in the future. I guess what i am trying to say is I am stuck with A levels that I don't mind doing but i have no interest in pursuing them in the future. sorry for calling some subjects "less academic" its because i have been told over and over again they where pointless A levels but right now i would rather be doing those so called pointless A levels then the ones i am doing right now.
Can you change your options? You should be able to change your options within the first 2/3 weeks of Year 12.
shropshirelass51
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My niece was advised to do science subjects instead of photography, which she really wanted to do. She ended up getting 2 U's in her physics and chemistry AS's so dropped them and did photography the following year. Photography was not an easy option, it took up more of her time than any of the other A levels she was doing, but she ended up with a B in it.
It all depends on what you want to study at University.
I know several people who swapped their A level choices in the first couple of weeks of year 12.
Good luck.
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Having sciences strengthen your application for something like psychology.

Something like photography can be developed very well in your free time. There's an absolute ton of learning material available, so you can develop your skills, build a portfolio, and even start freelancing if you wanted to go down that route.

Just because you're doing those a-levels doesn't mean you can't do a media degree etc.
Formidables
Rep:
?
(Original post by EloiseStar)
Can you change your options? You should be able to change your options within the first 2/3 weeks of Year 12.
I would but the place i am currently going to doesn't offer those A levels and only media as a BTEC
Formidables
Rep:
?
Thank you all so much for your all your replies , it actually did help. I guess i will continue with these and do the media stuff in my free time. I think I have the first 2 weeks to change my options so if i hate it i will change to some of their of their other courses. And thanks again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (438)
56.3%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.7%

Watched Threads